Build 41: Any suggestions to fix strange lag issue, I want to keep playing..

ThetaArgolis

Hello Humans

Ive been playing PZ for about a week and I LOVE it! But i can't keep playing, unless I can fix any issue I keep having..

Every so often, the game does a strange lag thing, where it appears the game keeps running, but what I see lags out. My character might be walking in one direction, it does its odd lag thing and for a brief second he goes in the opposite direction and the returns to his original facing direction.

It game breaking for me, as I've had a number of characters get bitten due to ill timing of this issue. I will be about to attack a Zombie, then all of a sudden its behind me.

Ive tried a number of things to rectify the issue, that was suggested on the internet.. turning graphics way down, changing vsync, framelock, running in a borderless window etc etc

Here is what Ive applied:

image.thumb.png.3121480da34f6ebdcebf91e49e8c4570.png

image.thumb.png.61e7cb01e90423e7186e489c3656cf4f.png

I even validated the game files through Steam.

My system details are as follows:

Intel (R) Core i7-7700HQ CPU@2.80HGz

16GB Memory

Intel (R) HD Graphics 630

NVIDIA GeForce GTZ 1060

Is there anything anyone can suggest, I might not have done or something other people have discovered to help this, please.. I want to keep playing, but its juts not worth it.

And yes, I could play build 40, but by all accounts its really a different game (you know what I mean).

Also, not that i think it makes any difference, cos my husband can play it fine, I'm using a PS4 controller thru Steam.

At the very least, maybe this information can help the development team fix these kinda bugs.

Thanks for your time and any help I might get.

Rebecca

Is this single player or on a server? If it's server lag in multiplayer, then the problem is probably more related to your internet connection and the route to the server than it is your actual hardware.

Try to make sure the game is using your GTX1060. The integrated Intel HD adapter should probably be turned off in your BIOS if you don't have it enabled for a specific reason.

Try setting "Multi Core" to "No" and see if that helps. If it doesn't or it isn't enough, reduce 3d models to player only and reduce zoom levels. Lowering Dynamic Skybox may also help.

Good luck!

Thankyou, I will try that those things. Its in single player. I'm sure Ive made the GTX the priority before, but I will double check that.

As a last resort, I'm going to install a cheats mod, so if I get bitten cos of this lag and not player error (lol), then I can rectify that.

Thankyou very much :)

11 minutes ago, ThetaArgolis said:

Ok, that hasn't helped.. sorry to be that person, but can you please explain how to reduce 3d models to player only?

It used to be in the display options but pretty sure you can't do that in build 41, since they probably didn't make 2d sprites for the new clothes and animations.

If you have an SSD you could try to install the game on that, it helped for me when I had lag due to my old hard drive, but just a wild guess...

I take it it's a laptop?

The system should be quite capable of running the game with little issue, just going from the specs.  Make sure it's suing the 1060 instead of the 630 by right clicking PZ -> Properties -> Local Files -> browse local files -> right click Project Zomboid -> You should see an option near the top to select the graphics card it runs on. You'll want the high performance option. Though laptops should detect this by themselves, sometimes they just don't. Likewise, if you're playing on an external display, performance might be somewhat hampered by passing the signal through the CPU. It might run better on the built-in display.

If it's happening when zooming out, make sure that zoom is set to no more than 200%,, or so.

If it's happening only when loud sounds are playing and/or there's tons of zombies on the screen, it's expected that it'll lag somewhat.

If none of this works, and it's not happening in the above three scenarios, open Task Manager ( alt + tab + del) and check the driver number for the  Nivida GPU. It's under the Perfomance tab. Often the drivers from laptop manufacturers are out of date by default and can be rather quirky, so it's good to check. nVidia Experience will not correct this.

The description of the problem is rather unique, though. Lag by itself shouldn't change the direction you're facing, even when playing with a controller. 

Hey, thanks for the very in-depth reply Enigma.

Yes, its a laptop. Its definately running thru the 1060, but I run the game thru the suggested path " PZ -> Properties -> Local Files -> browse local files -> right click Project Zomboid -> You should see an option near the top to select the graphics card it runs on", but it still had the same issues, even tried running 32bit, but same result.

Yes, its an external display, so I tried playing straight on my laptop, still the same issue.

Ive set the zoom to your suggestion. I do know I've seen in happen from many different distances however, but I will take more note. Might drop zoom down even one more notch and see how we go.

Loud noises or many zombies is not the problem, as its happened with just my character on the screen.

And finally, I opened the task manager, and looked in performance tab, but couldn't see where to see the driver number, I do know that my drivers are upto date thru NVIDIA, but if there is something else I need to check your further assistance would be very much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.56d9cdca343b36567d3f074af8d50a82.png

On 1/6/2020 at 5:18 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

I take it it's a laptop?

The system should be quite capable of running the game with little issue, just going from the specs.  Make sure it's suing the 1060 instead of the 630 by right clicking PZ -> Properties -> Local Files -> browse local files -> right click Project Zomboid -> You should see an option near the top to select the graphics card it runs on. You'll want the high performance option. Though laptops should detect this by themselves, sometimes they just don't. Likewise, if you're playing on an external display, performance might be somewhat hampered by passing the signal through the CPU. It might run better on the built-in display.

If it's happening when zooming out, make sure that zoom is set to no more than 200%,, or so.

If it's happening only when loud sounds are playing and/or there's tons of zombies on the screen, it's expected that it'll lag somewhat.

If none of this works, and it's not happening in the above three scenarios, open Task Manager ( alt + tab + del) and check the driver number for the  Nivida GPU. It's under the Perfomance tab. Often the drivers from laptop manufacturers are out of date by default and can be rather quirky, so it's good to check. nVidia Experience will not correct this.

The description of the problem is rather unique, though. Lag by itself shouldn't change the direction you're facing, even when playing with a controller. 

All that being said, since it does seem to be a rather unique problem, I can use NVIDIA to record this occurance if you think the dev team might find it helpful, there may be other people who have or do experience it.

Just a thought..

Archived