A generator gas consumption study

skyleaf

Revised the original post in 09/01/2020 since some of my conclusion are no longer accurate. 

Please read NonexistentDistable's post below, the analysis is way better and accurate than the original post I made here. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Original Post below-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I am confused by the generator gas consumption in PZ but answers in internet are kind of contradict, so I designed a little research and want to share the results with the community. Just scroll down to see summary if you are not interested in experiment data :)

Setting:

·         Cheat enabled to destroy the electrical devices in the house more easily and reset starting time of each experiment to 0000 at the beginning.

·         Identical save copies from my survival world were used for different experiments. Power and water were cut off at the time.

·         Test area: A three-houses region with farmland in the northwest of riverside, only surrounding log walls and barricade are made by player.

·         Generator would be reset to 100% gas and >90% condition after each use.

·         Generator gas consumption set as normal in the world setting.

·         Version: Build 41.24 (IWBUMS)

Experiment 1:

Tried to turn on on a generator in test area without connecting it, failed.

Experiment 2:

When a generator is connected in test area,

·         With all electrical devices (including indoor and outdoor lamps) on and all Indoor ceiling lights turn on, 24hrs pass = 100% -> 64%

·         With all Indoor ceiling lights and indoor & outdoor lamps turn off, all electrical devices turn on, 24hrs pass = 100% -> 64%

·         With all electrical devices (including outdoor and indoor lamps) destroyed & all Indoor ceiling lights turn off, 24hrs pass = 100% -> 88%

Experiment 3:

When a generator is connected in test area,

·         Destroy a white fridge in the house, turn all electrical devices (including indoor and outdoor lamps) and all Indoor ceiling lights on, 24hrs pass = 100% -> 64%

·         Continue to destroy a Popsicle fridge and left remaining devices on, 24hrs pass = 100% -> 76%

·         Continue to destroy a modern oven and left remaining devices on, 24hrs pass = 100% -> 76%

·         Continue to destroy a white microwave and left remaining devices on, 24hrs pass =100% -> 88%

·         Indoor and outdoor lamps were cancelled to be destroy since they seems to be not consuming any power.

Experiment 4:

When two generators connected in test area in close proximity (one block next to each other), with all electrical devices (including indoor and outdoor lamps) turn on and all Indoor ceiling lights turn on, 24hrs pass,

·         Original generator: 100% -> 64%

·         Additional generator: 100% -> 64%

Experiment 5:

Bring a generator to faraway forest region and connect it, 24hrs pass,

·         Original generator: 100% -> 88%

Quick summary:

1.    Generator would consume 12% of gas per day without any electrical device connecting to it. So theoretically a generator could run for around 8 days without refilling gas in maximum.

2.    Indoor ceiling light, indoor and outdoor lamps, modern oven and white fridge do not affect gas consumption.

3.    Popsicle fridge and white microwave increase 12% of gas consumption per day.

4.    Each additional electrical device seems to consume another 12% of gas per day. Which device would consume extra gas remain to be explore.

5.    Double generator waste double amount of gas.

6.    It remains unknown that if the generator condition contributed to the power consumption, although it seems to be unlikely.

Hope you guys find it useful, happy dying :D

I would check that if I found other Popsicle fridge nearby or level my electrical skills enough to pick up drying machines. I dismantled my microwave right after my previous post so I cant confirm if the location or distances matter right now. In my experiment I only use electrical devices that I found previously in my survival save and cheat is only for destroying the devices easier so I suspect one of the possibilities could be cheat-spawn devices do not consume electricity more? Also could you check if the electrical devices are powered? 

BTW since you mentioned "dozens" of electrical devices, I am quite curious about what would happen if the numbers of electrical devices in the 20 tiles area exceed a crazy amount of number, would that be instantly out of gas? I have no answer to that and I guess my study still have it's limitation. One thing I forget to mention in my original post through, that the white fridge and modern oven are originally located inside the house, and the popsicle fridge and mircrowave are not, they are pick up from other location. . I dont know if this factor affect the gas consumption. 

About the range, I have difficulty in counting how far my popsicle fridge is from my main generator and I guess it is still inside the 20 tiles range as it still get powered, but other devices are certainly within 20 tiles since they are located in my main house. I would leave some pictures of my base here so you might see how far are the devices from the generator.

20200108211015_1.thumb.jpg.0afd020c3ed5cfda7ecf1c44336ae264.jpg

My main generator is located right next to my character.  The popsicle fridge is in the house on the right side. 

20200108210915_1.thumb.jpg.f82c6550118d4ad181aaca670b1a3b73.jpg

Only the white fridge and modern oven left since my previous post. 

20200108211026_1.thumb.jpg.6cbe3bf163cc662cc329bbc49091f3db.jpg

The popsicle fridge in the house on the right side. 

Okay, I did a lot of tests: placed generator inside and outside a building, the same for electrical devices, compared gas consumption with quantities of electrical devices and other. The conclusions are as follows:

1. It doesn't matter where generator is, it's range is the only thing that matters. This range is 20 tiles (image below--resolution is 1440x1080, max zoom out, granite tiles are the last tiles with electricity (checked with equipped tv)) and 5 floors (the one it is placed at, two down and two up). The power consumption is the same on all floors. It also seem that condition does not affect the consumption.

251137291_ProjectZomboid-GeneratorRange.thumb.png.cae80718c5bc966e05814fcbb14d9a5a.png

2. Electrical devices only consume electricity when placed under a roof (floor) (as in, directly under one, not in general (if you make a single hole in your roof under a certain device, only this device wont consume electricity)) (whether pre-existing or self-constructed roof) (walls do not matter). That's why when I first checked with dozens of devices the consumption was minimal (11% per day). This is most likely a bug, as it makes no sense--after all--those devices still work. Basically it's a big "cheese".

3. Now for the consumption itself.

First: lamps, switches and other light sources do not consume electricity, just as you sad.

Second: consumption of ovens and microwaves (and cooking devices in general (my guess)) has a pattern, and it is as such:

- 1 microwave: 11% / day

- 2 m-w: 11% / day

- 3 m-w: 11% / day

- 4 m-w: 11% / day

- 5 m-w: 23% / day

- 6 m-w: 23% / day

- 7 m-w: 23% / day

- 8 m-w: 34% / day

- 9 m-w: 34% / day

- 10 m-w: 34% / day

- 11 m-w: 34% / day

- 12 m-w: 46% / day

You can see a pattern: 4|3|4...and as follows. (Drying machine has the same consumption.)

Third: the same goes for all types of freezing devices (fridge, mini fridge and popsicle fridge). The pattern is as such:

- 1 fridge: 11% / day

- 2 f-g: 11% / day

- 3 f-g: 23% / day

- 4 f-g: 34% / day

- 5 f-g: 34% / day

- 6 f-g: 46% / day

- 7 f-g: 57% / day

- 8 f-g: 57% / day

- 9 f-g: 69% / day

- 10 f-g: 80% / day

- 11 f-g: 80% / day

The pattern is: 2|1|2|1|2...and as follows. (Washing machine has the same consumption.)

Fourth: the gas consumption "tick" happens every hour, regardless of consumption. (Ha-ha, this got me thinking: you could probably fill every tile on five floors with electrical devices, but because the tick happen every hour strictly, you will run out of gas only after an hour, even through your real consumption would be way above that.)

I also tried looking at consumption of fridges and microwaves combined, and this is what I got:

- 2 f-g + 2 m-w: 23% / day (as 3 fridges)

- 2 f-g + 4 m-w: 34% / day (as 4 fridges)

- 2 f-g + 8 m-w: 46% / day (as 6 fridges)

Basically, every two cooking devices are worth as much as one fridge in power consumption increase.

And this is it, I think. I probably covered everything, but if you have questions or suggestions, go at it. Also I used "NecroForge" and "CheatMenu" to help with the tests (spawning items, god mode, free building, instant action, time skip, time warp, teleportation). Also, those cheats did not affect the tests--I checked.

Man, that was informative.

• 3 weeks later...

Long story short, I saw a fellow in reddit posted a riddle, and I decide to give it a try.  

Using a blank new save in latest version (IWBUMS 41.28 / Zoom branch), set zombie population to none and cheats enabled. 

Tested in a warehouse region, located northwest side of riverside. (around 5536,6063)

Not very strictlin controlling the experimental environment since I am hungry for breakfast, so many variables are not consider in details (i.e. multiple unoperated generator within the warehouse). Generator remains >90% condition during the test and get refill to 100% after each test.    

Quick test 1:

20200129075321_1.thumb.jpg.ffe5b397de830e843cc2eac92062ef64.jpg

Simply connect a generator to the region, which at least 14 indoor ceiling lights + 2 outdoor lamps turned on, run for 24hrs. 

Gas: 100% -> 88%

So again, lights shall not affect gas consumption even in large quantity. 

Quick test 2:

20200129080425_1.thumb.jpg.855fb0041368765f6a943784045d0d58.jpg

Similar to the first test, added to vending machines nearby to see if it affect the gas consumption. 

Gas: 100% -> 88%

This test has a mistake I realised afterwards, that I have not take those vending machine indoor as mentioned by NonexistentDistable previously, devices only consume gas when placed indoor. Anyway, at least it ruled out the possibility that vending machines affect gas consumption in the reddit post as it also located outdoor.  

Quick test 3:

20200129081827_1.thumb.jpg.f59b487658a670d6446a9a03cb9022a7.jpg

Basically just moved two fridges indoor and run for another 24 hrs. 

Gas: 100% -> 76%

So I guess this is case solved, that NonexistentDistable might record his data wrong and that only 2 fridges is enough to increase gas consumption to 23%/day.

Hopefully someday he could validate his data again, since the mistake is so minor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived