Reloading at a previous character state

ThatGuyRandom

In zomboid without mods occasionally when my character dies and I press continue to start a new character in the previous world the game resumes from a previous character state where character 1 hasn't died or been injured yet, another thing that happens with this is the inventory of the character gets reverted to the original state which has led to me losing car keys, rare weapons, etc. 

Only the character reverts back to the position, health and all the other attributes while the things I did in the game world before my character died stay the same so for example if my character died from blood loss after fighting a horde of zombies but managed to kill the horde before dying the zombie horde will still be dead where i killed them once my character comes back to life, this has only happened to me perhaps 1 out of every 20 times I've pressed continue but it's enough to notice.

This happens to me, too. Most recent build 41, vanilla except for Superb Survivors. Here's a log where it happens - my character dies, I click continue, it creates a new character at the location of a previous save. Strangely, my corpse (or zombie) is still out in the world and has all my old gear except the keyring. But it's not truly a new character that gets created, its my previous character as they first spawned.

The game still runs fine otherwise and I've been manually reverting my save anyway, so it's not stopping me from playing.

16-12-19_00-17-37_DebugLog.txt

Edited by PZ_Axe_For_You
forgot info

turns out it also resets your characters "survived for" clock so I can see how far it set my character back. I went from 38 days to 4 days and 6 hours. Is there a character file somewhere in which I can change the timer data back to what it was for the character? I was extremely proud of the time survived lol

Edited by ThatGuyRandom

I back my saves up, so I was able to cheat around this problem by reverting to my last backup. It does feel cheap that my character can't truly die, but the world's state is maintained properly. And it's a little dark since I keep torturing him by forcing him to die over and over in gruesome ways. Anyway you can find the files to back up in this folder: C:\Users\(Your User)\Zomboid\Saves\