Suggestions for Traits/Jobs

DoctorJohnny

So while I was playing today (I've played basically everyday since the announcement of West Point :P), I thought it would be cool to make some characters from popular media, which ended up me thinking of some traits/jobs that would be epic to have in game.

Jobs:

-Teacher

Booksmart: You gain more entertainment from reading books.

-Governer

Golden Tongue: Survivors (NPC's) are more likely to want to join you/Help you

-Pizza Delivery Boy

Delivery!: ???

-Bartender

Happy Hour: You and all survivors following/with you are less likely to get drunk.

-Doctor

First Aid: Bandage-Applied wounds heal faster.

-Thug

Streetsmart: You start with a pistol and 10 mm bullets.

Traits:

- Heart Problems: (-6 points)

When in high panick (the highest state), your character has a chance to pass out for a randomized amount of time.

-To be continued later when I think of more ideas... c;

If you have an idea that you feel needs some publicity or feedback, feel free to post it!

Good use for the Pizza Boy's Delivery aspect. He's been all over the place and has a good head for memorizing streets and housing. So if he's looking for something, he can recall what houses he probably hasn't looted yet on a map of the city and knows which streets to follow to get there the fastest...

Pizza boy would be interesting. You would be able to mark houses and streets in a sort of "memory" kinda thing where they stay marked for a while, but things like time and stress wear away at the memory and if said memory isn't "refreshed" you lose it. That'd be awesome!

job: beggar

abilities:

homeless = can sleep on floor/grass.

omnivorous = eating food (even rotten) does not increase unhappiness. can eat and cook rats.

the idea is not bad, but its a little imba in this case. if he can sleep on the floor and doesnt care about what he stuffs in his mouth, the beggar would need a negative traits like "npcs are disgusted by his smell" or something

The only confusing part of Pizza Boy would be, where would you mark the locations? If there was a map then it would be overpowered to have one job with a map and no others with a map.

Right click/"Remember"

There you go. Pizza boy's have a much better memory of large areas than a normal person due to their job.

Pizza driver

Trait: 30 Minutes or Your Money Back: Can run for long periods of time.

Well that wouldn't make much sense. Pizza delivery guys and girls drive their cars to the address. Maybe pizza delivery guys/girls can drive better than other professions?

• 3 weeks later...

Optional Skill Sets

Crafty - All jobs have a chances of rewarding a nail if they required more than 1 nail (you did not need it) and a chance at recovering the nail when removing barricades.

Waterboy - Containers hold 20% more water if filled by the player.  This basically means the players knows how to administer water better, but this is the best way I could figure out helping youself and NPCs.  (I thought about making this player the Bouncer skill set...)

Alarm Technician - Player can tell if a house is alarmed (window or door turns slightly red).  If so, the player has 30% of disarming before entering the house.  The alarm goes off if they fail the attempt.

Stocker - player can stock unopened food items more effectively than others.  Weight of all items is reduced by 10% in ANY container.

Salesperson - +15% toward swinging NPC mood

Prize Fighter - Greater chance to kill a zomibie when unarmed

Bouncer - Player push back causes zombies to fall down

Cook - Items give +10% bonus to all effects when cooked by the player

Short Order Cook - Items take 20% less time to cook and items than generate one than one serving are given an additional serving (eaten by the cook on the spot!)

Sous Chef - Kitchen knives can be thrown!

Sniper - Player is 10% less likely of being spotted (even in the open)

Poker Face - Player takes 1/2 the effect of negative moodlets to due anexity or NPC interaction

Hitman - Player reloads empty weapon automatically if they are in the primary or secondary slot

Skilled Shooter - Zombies hit, but not killed, by small arms fire are knocked back and maybe down

Water Service Worker - Can get water from Fire Hydrants.  When the water goes out, the player can ONE more bottle of water from any tap.

2nd Story Man - Player can enter or exit a 2nd story window without taking damage OR needing a rope.

Major League - Player does extra damage with the baseball bat and base ball bats decay rate is halfed.  Bonus does not apply to nail bats.

Persuader - Player does extra damage with the hammer and the hammer decay is halfed.  Bonus does not apply to sledgehammers.

Firebug - Player is given the option to light any flamable item if they possess the lighter or matches.  They simply put the lighter in their off hand and the item in question in their primary hand.  Swinging the item would light it on fire and drop it in the adjactent facing square.  This would allow a players to light a pillow on fire and toss it onto a bed, or light a skirt on fire and toss it into a dresser.  Fire will then progress normally.

2 County Boomer - If the player establishes a safe house, he can move another safe house instantly.  Safe houses must be designated and a player can only have two at any given time.  The game takes off the time but the travel effect is instant.  The player can not go so far it would kill them from hunger, they still have to eat.  The ability has a 24 hour cool down.

Friends w/ Benefits - These are taken instead of a "skill set".

He's where?  In the well?! - Randomly, if a player is about to be attacked a Collie runs near by, barks and runs off.  Zombies will break away their attack and follow the dog a short distance.

Lone Gunman - Randomly, while the player is engaged by a zombie AND more zombies are present, a lone gunman in a fedora and long coat walks close by.  He then fires off a couple of rounds, kills a zombie or two and walks away.  Zombies may or may not break away to attack the gunman but it will draw attention to HIS location and not yours.

Pilot Down - whenever there is a flyby by helicopters or airplanes, machinegun fire can be heared.  If the player is in the open, Zombies nearby will be randomly attacked.  If zombies are not nearby or the player is not in the open, the game picks some locations out in open and guns down a half dozen zombies.

New Game Setting - Greek Tragedy

All construction costs half has much but degrades at four times the rate.  Weapons do double damage, but degrade at four times the rate.

American Steel so many of your suggestions are farrrr to 'game-y' for what PZ is trying to do. That means no arbitrary video game tropes. I'll point out a few examples. Keep in mind, things should at least be based on reality, if not perfectly realistic.

Crafty- using less nails makes less sturdy construction.

Waterboy- I was a water boy in middle school, I can assure you it doesn't magically make containers hold more =\

Alarm Technician- It's pretty hard to tell if a house has an alarm just by looking. Unless it's labeled. In which case, everyone can tell. Also, disarming that kind of alarm (while surely not impossible) takes some specialized tools and know-how that is beyond the scope of what PZ is trying to be.

Cook- A bonus to happiness, maybe, but a bonus to hunger just doesn't make sense.

Short Order Cook- knowing how to cook doesn't make things take less time to cook.

Hitman- kinda takes away the point of PZ. The whole idea about this game is that things are visceral, not automatic. It's meant to give you a feel for how it really is, not for how modern shooters work.

Skilled Shooter- no matter how skilled you are, a bullet fired from a gun has the same amount of force

Major League- Being a baseball player doesn't make baseball bats last any longer

Persuader- not sure where this even came from. Hammers do the same amount of damage and decay at the same rate no matter who holds them.

Firebug- anyone is capable of doing this

2 County Boomer- extremely game-y and again the antithesis of what PZ stands for

He's where? In the well?- should speak for itself. Again, incredibly game-y, very unrealistic, and a bit silly =\

Lone gunman- speaks for itself.

Pilot down- military support is on the confirmed "no" list. Also, why would helicopters help out one tiny person on the ground but not others?

Geek Tragedy- Just doesn't make sense at all.

I appreciate wanting to be a part of things and make suggestions, but I hope you can see these don't really fit the theme of this game.