what is zombie spawn rate on apocalypse settings?

tylos

is there a point in killing larger groups at all? i ve tried to eliminate hordes manually, or by fire, but i have a feeling that very soon after there is no change. the amount that spawn is the amount that died before? is migrating hordes the only way? is the spawn rate slower if i dont kill zombies?

If you go into the sandbox mode you can see the settings for each of the presets. To answer your question, 10% of the max zombies in a cell will respawn every 72 hours, unless you're in that chunk every 16 hours. Practically, the zombie population is infinite and will always refresh except for right where you're living, though if you truly depopulated an area it would take a few weeks to be entirely refreshed. 

Separately, there's also migration within the cell. Zombies will spread out within the cell over time, so if you can thin the herd then you will make it less likely that you'll have to deal with big clusters where you are. This is probably what you're seeing. There's no limits on migration in the settings, so you could leave for an hour or two and come back to zombies on your doorstep.

Thats basicly the reason why i always play sandbox - i dont get the 72 hours respawn thing - i mostly set it to 720 hours and instead of 0.1 respawn rate i do 0.02 -0.04.

I feel like if you really do work on clearing more and more of a specific area, it should be rewarded - migration F*cks it up anyways - you can never keep a whole town clear - zeds out of the woods will come. and even if you cleared lets say westpoint basicly to almost no danger - there are still 3 other big citys that have spawned tons of zeds in the meantime 😁

Yeah I just do sandbox and turn respawning off. I think it's on by default because it's intended with multiplayer in mind, otherwise most of the zeds would be cleared out of a server within a couple days of it going live and new players would be joining a ghost town. For single player though respawn off is the only way to keep an area remotely clean. Same deal with loot respawn, I turn that off for SP too.

Keep in mind that the "population start" and "population peak" modifier don't make any sense if you turn respawning off.

I guess (re-) spawning is intended to represent the zombie epidemic getting worse over time, and without human NPCs this is the best way of representing that. 

Maybe in 10 years or so the zombies will multiply from actual human NPCs getting infected over time :)

Archived