PZ Suggestion Compilation [Unoffical]

Kajin

Welcome to the Project Zomboid Suggestion Compilation! If someone suggests something in this section of the forum and everyone else agrees it might be a good idea for the game, then recommend it here and I'll add it to the list so the devs will have a quick and easy reference for what the community wants to see added to their game!

This list is for ideas that have been suggested and have met with enough open discussion and approval from the community to warrant them a place in the spotlight. Or at least, they'll be here in the spotlight until a dev comes along and gives the yay or nay on that matter, anyway. Then they'll likely be shipped along to the Commonly Suggested Suggestions thread that is likely pinned next door to this one  (fedora)

The List Of Community Suggestions!

It starts here, guys.

Time Display Revisions - Make modifications to how the time is displayed. Make watches an item that the character can find while scavenging. If the character is attacked and their arm takes damage, the watch that arm is on has a certain chance of being damaged or ripped off, so a new one must be found. If no watch is worn, the time display turns into a sun dial or other indicator of the sun's position in the sky.

Month and Day Revisions: The character must find some way to keep track of the month and date of the year, since most devices that keep track of the date will likely become damaged or power down when the electricity is shut off. Unless a journal or a calender of some kind is kept, the character might only be able to make a best guess of what the time of year is based on the weather patterns and temperatures. In order to avoid tedium, it's suggested that this process is something that is tracked automatically by the player's character.

Gas Utilities - Gas heating and cooking is a fairly common utility in Kentucky. It also adds extra potential for awesome explosions if something goes wrong, though with all the fail safes in place this would be an exceedingly rare event. 

Noisy Inventory - Using too many containers to increase storage capacity increases the amount of noise made when you move, making stealth more difficult while out and about in the zombie infested world.

Automatically Shut Doors/Windows - Holding "E" when passing through a door or a window closes it automatically behind you, making it easier to close the door when running like hell away from a pursuing horde.

Long Term Food Storage - Ability to can vegetables and smoke meats to greatly increase viable long term storage of foods.

Rocks - Ability to pick up rocks as usable items. Throw them to generate noise and draw zombie attention away from you or use them as melee weapons.

Item Filter - A sorting system that lets you check off items you're not looking for so you'll only see items you are looking for to make looting easier.

Bookshelves and Reading Material Revisions - Books and Magazines are converted into "Used Books" and "Old Magazines" after they've been read, and offer no additional happiness or boredom value on their own but can be added to a bookshelf (either built by the player or found previously). The room the bookshelf is in can then be designated as a library to become a source of idle entertainment for the characters living in the safehouse it is located in. Characters that idle in the designated library are assumed to be perusing the contents bookshelves in order to keep happiness up and boredom levels from rising. Every "Used Book' and "Old Magazine" that is added to a bookshelf inside the designated library contributes to the "Variety Rating" of the library. The greater the variety, the more boredom and unhappiness is alleviated over time.

Welding, Masonry, and Electrical Skills - New construction options for making structures and items out of scrap metal and rock. Suggested use for welding would be the use of constructing metal bars over windows for better fortification of safe houses. Suggested use for Masonry would be the digging out of a well into the aquifer for water and building a fire-proof smokehouse for preserving of meats or a brick oven for cooking foods. Suggested use for Electrical would be constructing electrified barbed wire fencing or cannibalizing parts from a gasoline powered generator for use in building a makeshift wind turbine.

Tall Grass - Add the ability to cut down tall grass and add it to the inventory as a usable item. Possible uses include using it for compost in farming, braiding it together as a rope, drying it out and using it as tinder for fire starting, and drying it into hay to feed small farm animals such as goats over the winter months when grass doesn't grow.

Directional Sound Indicator - Add waves of sound echoes as a visual indicator for indicating the origin direction of possibly hostile sounds your character hears.

Durability Modifications - Weapons don't break and become unusable, simply becoming less and less effective as time and use wears them down. Special tools and kits are needed for maintenance and repair of the higher grade weapons like the ax or guns.

Secret Stash - Use the Carpentry skill to create a secret compartment somewhere in the house for storing certain high value goods and keeping them safe from potential burglars. The higher the Carpentry skill, the less obvious the stash is and the easier it is to overlook. An outside alternative would be to dig a hole in the ground and hide a small box containing the items that need hidden. The hole is then filled in and crops are planted over top of the stash as camouflage or grass is simply grown in over top of it over time.

Sanity - Cliff Notes Version: Doing things like keeping occupied, staying happy, talking with allied NPC's and otherwise enjoying the finer things in life while possible contribute towards keeping the character sane. Fighting zombies, staying in houses with dead bodies that haven't been disposed of, becoming injured, or going a long time without sleep are all detrimental to a character's mental health. Full version and discussions here.

Group/Faction Notice Board - A method of organizing a group of NPC's if it grows big enough to the point that giving each member of the group a new task to perform after completion of their old one becomes too time consuming. Using a cork board, tacks, and paper, an organized list of tasks that need performed can be created for NPC's to peruse and perform on their own based on their personalities and skill sets and whether or not they are specifically called on in the notices to perform a specific task.

Skill Books as Equippable Items Instead of having skill books as something you read then do away with, this suggestion proposes that you introduce a third equipment slot and reserve it for the use of skill books. Any skill book equipped in this manner is considered to be in use whenever the character performs a related action. This reduces the speed at which the action is performed as the character is perusing the skill book in order to help do the job in exchange for a large increase in experience and mild increase in work quality. After some time (enough time for the character to have learned enough from the book to now need a more advance version), the book is worn out and destroyed due to wear and tear received while being used on the job.

It's worth mentioning that obviously if the suggestion is already on the "Commonly Suggested Suggestions" thread with a confirmed yes or no it shouldn't be brought up here.

If you think your idea deserves to be here, I'd suggest PM'ing Kajin so he doesn't have to try to keep track of every single thread.

Calender/Clock Revisions i did not like this idea. you don't need a cellphone to keep track of the time, there watches and their batteries can last years and they also informs you about calender too. it is not nice to make things manual just to make the game hard. 

They can do that now? Huh. I haven't used a watch in years, and I don't know anyone else who has, either. And not having a calender I don't think would really make the game hard. Only reasons to even bother keeping track of the date is to know what time of year so you'll have an idea for what kinds of crops to grow or what weather to expect, otherwise it's really just an aesthetic feature.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? I don't mind using this thread to discuss features that should or shouldn't be on the list.

Wow, we've already got three pages of suggestions? This may take a while. Also, how do I imbed a link within text? I can't figure out how.

The link button is in the textbox toolbar, bottom row, #9 from the left. Looks like a chain link with a green +

Calender/Clock Revisions i did not like this idea. you don't need a cellphone to keep track of the time, there watches and their batteries can last years and they also informs you about calender too. it is not nice to make things manual just to make the game hard. 

I agree. I don't wanna boo any suggestions, maintaining a calendar could be an optional setting (or, more likely, a mod) for those who want it.

I think there is nothing wrong with displaying the date and time in the corner of the screen. We can just assume that your character had (or looted) a good watch and glances at the time when you do and remembers to wind up the watch when necessary (along with blowing his nose and doing things like that).

Maintaining a timekeeper manually sounds tedious.

Maintaining a timekeeper manually sounds tedious.

I pretty much figured it would be something your character did on their own without any input on your part so long as they had access to a journal of some kind for the purposes of keeping track.

I agree with Kajin on this. In particular it adds an element of realism sorely lacking from the load of people who hide perpetually inside. Requiring a watch or other time-keeper to know when it's safe to leave a windowless room seems fair.

Also: yes, watches tell the date now, usually up to the month. I'm one of those strange people who still wears one. They're also crazy fragile. :/ It's very easy to break most watches, especially the kind people are likely to have nowadays if they have one at all (read: expensive showpieces instead of the cheap plastic utility clocks we used to wear in the 90's.) If you were constantly running for your life and fighting the undead, it would be a bit of a trick to keep one running. They snag on things, hit things, get water damaged or have the face smashed, and it seems like the kind of thing you'd want to have one (or two ;P) of in reserve at your base.

I actually touched on the watch idea in another suggestion post, in such a way that you don't need a watch to tell time - but it does make it way easier and solve the windowless room problem, and the whole date thing.

Just a humble bump. Anyone who sees a suggestion I haven't added and thinks it's a good idea should post about it in here and I'll get right on it. Also, I've added a few new suggestions and made some revisions to older ones based on input received. Let me know if you think they're worthy to be on the list.

I pretty much figured it would be something your character did on their own without any input on your part so long as they had access to a journal of some kind for the purposes of keeping track.

scratches_in_a_wall_for_counting_time_h3

Wouldn't doing these on a wall for each passed day be a very intresting concept?

• 1 month later...

Woah, life got complicated there for a moment. Gonna start sorting through the last... SIX PAGES?! Six or so pages of threads I missed out on to look for stuff to add to da list here. Anyone who wants, please point me in the right direction to threads with suggestions that look pretty awesome.

Thanks a bunch.

I don't know if the thread is still taking in suggestions but I've have one that I think alot of people enjoy if implimented into the game.

An option to lock inventory boxes into place. Now I know this seems like a small thing to add, but the fact that whenever you're messing around with your inventory, there may be instances where you accidently move it. "Well all you have to do is move it back" I get that, but sometimes the inventory box will just completely disappear (literally just happened to me a few minutes ago) for no real reason, or (which I'm sure is pretty common) you accidently move the top of an inventory box past your computer screen boundary, leaving you unable to access it. I think putting a small feature like this into the game will make things a lot less frustrating.

Either the suggestion above, or create a boundry so that things on the HUD cannot go past the edges of of your screen.

Either one I'd be grateful for lol

• 2 months later...