Favorite Non-Zomboid Zombie Games?

ZAMNPlayerD

This DOES seem like a pretty stock question to ask, and it has been asked in an archived thread, but I wanna get the ball rolling again by asking the community what their favorite Non-Zomboid Zombie Games are. I'll go first by sharing mine.

- 1. Zombies Ate My Neighbors

A classic run and gun game starring two teenagers named Zeke and Julie on their quest to stop not just a zombified menace, but a rogue's gallery of various B-Movie monsters like killer dolls, chainsaw maniacs, martians, werewolves, and more... And to do this, they have waterguns, exploding soda, bazookas, potions that turn THEM into werewolves, and more. It's so varied and the level design still holds up. It is super hard though, so you probably won't be able to beat the game on your first try.

- 2. Plants VS Zombies 2: It's About Time!

"What?! Who would put PVZ2 ahead of the first game?! Heresy!" I can understand, as some of the microtransactions are very much on the predatory side. But in spite of that, PvZ2 takes everything cool about the first game and amps it up several levels with some of the new(er) plants like Laser Bean or Lightning Reed as well as using the time travel aspect to make for some interesting level gimmicks. For example, in The Neon Mixtape Tour, the background music not only alters The Zombie's Speed, but the unique zombies also start using their special abilities with different tunes.

- 3. Fortnite: Save The World (NOT BATTLE ROYALE!)

Now I know what some people are thinking, "Fortnite Bad," I know, I get it. But Save The World is a fun and unique hybrid of class-based shooter, wave defense, with a ton of rpg elements to go with it. The basic gist is that The Storm killed 99% of everyone, and it's up to you to fight the storm and rebuild humanity. The main threat are The Storm's minions.... The Husks. They're not quite zombies, they don't eat flesh, and they have enough smarts to try and take alternative routes to a point they want to attack and ranged husks know enough to try and keep their distance. It is grindy, but the variety of weapons and heroes make it worth it.

Oh man, zombie games are my distinct life blood.

Zombie Panic! Source: CLASSIC Zombies vs. Humans game. Had a crazy atmosphere and really classic vibes. Sucks it's borderline a dead game, it's so much fun, and Contagion did a terrible, sad, and downright disrespectful job continuing the legacy.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead: You hear talk of this cult-classic rogue-like in the PZ community a lot, and it's for good reason. Rare is a game like C:DDA with it's sheer freedom of choice. However, describing C:DDA as a "zombie game" is like describing a deep-dished chicken-cheese casserole as "chicken".

No More Room in Hell: A free, source-based predecessor to realistic zombie survival action. It's got team play and an intense gameplay loop that still holds up after 8 years. Nothing quite like NMRiH. It runs on a potato, too. It also has an atmospherically appropriate and stellar soundtrack by ThoughT. Sequel in the works!

Best thing about all these games? All 100% FREE. Some of the most genuine fun you can have on the market for little more than a steam account and a potato. (And with CDDA, probably a pebble with a screen on it)

On 12/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, Death059 said:

Oh man, zombie games are my distinct life blood.

Zombie Panic! Source: CLASSIC Zombies vs. Humans game. Had a crazy atmosphere and really classic vibes. Sucks it's borderline a dead game, it's so much fun, and Contagion did a terrible, sad, and downright disrespectful job continuing the legacy.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead: You hear talk of this cult-classic rogue-like in the PZ community a lot, and it's for good reason. Rare is a game like C:DDA with it's sheer freedom of choice. However, describing C:DDA as a "zombie game" is like describing a deep-dished chicken-cheese casserole as "chicken".

No More Room in Hell: A free, source-based predecessor to realistic zombie survival action. It's got team play and an intense gameplay loop that still holds up after 8 years. Nothing quite like NMRiH. It runs on a potato, too. It also has an atmospherically appropriate and stellar soundtrack by ThoughT. Sequel in the works!

Best thing about all these games? All 100% FREE. Some of the most genuine fun you can have on the market for little more than a steam account and a potato. (And with CDDA, probably a pebble with a screen on it)

Good games?

Free?

Well, I've got stuff to look up now. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 10:33 PM, StealthBoy said:

The Left 4 Dead games have always been a favorite of mine.

Does Halo Reach's Infection mode count? 

Left 4 Dead is a good game, but I got it well after the initial heyday and usually get kicked from multiplayer games. It's a shame too, because even today it plays well. I mean, I'm just speaking from the perspective of a guy who never noticed The AI Director too much in 30 hours of play, so forgive me if the true greatness of L4D 1 and 2 is lost on me.

Archived