IWBUMS 41.21 RELEASED

lemmy101

7 hours ago, Blake81 said:

We need heating devices; either electric heaters/stoves or similar gas/propane/coal powered ones we can use inside buildings or even outside.

Or, (and here we may be moving onto far greater additions) add a "Thermostat" electric fixture to most buildings, just like we have light switches now. It could simply have the interface the Car's AC have already. Of course, not ALL places will have this (wouldn't expect a wooden cabin in the middle of nowhere, or a Self-Storage unit to have HVAC), but most of them would.

I've been saying for awhile homes need a wall thermostat like we have light switches to adjust the heat and maybe an ac control for those houses if there the high end ones for climate control on them. Even easier to do now that they have the code with the cars that do the same thing.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:01 PM, Burger_Time said:

That seems reasonable. You ain't gonna walk around without a jacket at 6°C and feel comfortable.

You're right about that, but as a guy who need to dig trough snow to get outside of his appartment when it's winter i can also say you wouldn't be freezing to death with a jacket on at 6°C. In fact, a simple hoodie and pair of jeans would do a good job at keeping you alive. It's -11°C here right now and i'm doing just fine with my autumn jacket. I'll probably wear that until we reach between -20°C and -30°C, then i'll get my winter jacket and probably freeze to death even with that thing on if i spend extended periods of time outside.

Right now character reactions and endurance to lower temperature doesn't make sense. I don't get why i'm getting hungry or tired because of the cold. The only reason i'm more tired in winter is because days are shorter and it's still dark outside when i wake up and as soon as i'm done with work. Nothing to do with the temperature. And if something i eat less because i don't heat my place very much and the floor is cold as **** so i avoid going downstairs for as long as possible when i'm home. Don't get me wrong, winter IS deadly and should be in the game if unprepared, but with a little bit of preparation anyone would do just fine under these conditions. Especially in those soft winter conditions the Kentucky map offer.

1 hour ago, M2xim said:

You're right about that, but as a guy who need to dig trough snow to get outside of his appartment when it's winter i can also say you wouldn't be freezing to death with a jacket on at 6°C. In fact, a simple hoodie and pair of jeans would do a good job at keeping you alive. It's -11°C here right now and i'm doing just fine with my autumn jacket. I'll probably wear that until we reach between -20°C and -30°C, then i'll get my winter jacket and probably freeze to death even with that thing on if i spend extended periods of time outside.

I'm not saying characters should freeze at this temperature. The character of the one's I quoted was feeling fine with a varsity jacket (which isn't really good at keeping you warm tbh) at 6 degrees, which is OK.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, axeladalidez78 said:

Hunger seems to increase really fast even at normal air temperature (21ºC). I'm barely moving and in less than 3 hours I'm already peckish.

Also, recovering from hypothermia is extremely hard, because of the low heat generation and the constant tiredness and hunger (which increases even faster).

Same.

Hello, I was just wondering if there was a way to fix the lag spikes i'm getting in game as they have already led to the death of two of my characters. I know you can back up the save in case this happens but the lag spikes are very annoying and i'm just wondering if there is a way to get rid of them.

Some of the posters here must have been icebears in a former life...

For me, the current balance feels fairly realistic. When I go skiing at -10°C, I need full winter clothing & sunlight to stay comfortable. During the night at -10°C, the heat loss is immense when wearing normal street clothing. Maybe I'll feel ok for an hour or so, but not much longer than that.

Increased fatigue & hunger is a result of the body trying to increase the temperature & fighting illness. Also fairly realistic afaik.

Hi,

bug:

When i click Drop from an equipped backpack it unpacks instead. it came in one or two versions ago and is still there.

(i do have the cheat mod installed though).

Items:

I have started 3 or 4 new games all with abundant loot

Garbage bags - very hard to find now.

I have not seen the spray bottles (for mildew and flies cure) at all.

umbrellas - also hard to find.

Tailoring:

I never know what i am going to get when ripping jackets - sometimes its leather sometimes just ripped sheets.

Would be great if we could rip firemans jackets/trousers or repair them (as they have great bite/scratch stats)

balance:

seem to get bored too easily when indoors. Tailoring is apparently very boring... :)

other than performance issues when driving through populated areas (especially in rain) I am having a blast.

keep up the great work.

cheers

19 hours ago, Gpugs said:

Hello, I was just wondering if there was a way to fix the lag spikes i'm getting in game as they have already led to the death of two of my characters. I know you can back up the save in case this happens but the lag spikes are very annoying and i'm just wondering if there is a way to get rid of them.

I have the same problem.

Just a quick note, on this version and my latest save game, my character mysteriously 'died'.  I was previously alive and out of harms way, with no ailments or anything.  I quit for the night, tried to pick up again today and it wouldn't let me continue.  Has a little skull icon next to the save game.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:58 PM, junglistjim said:

balance:

seem to get bored too easily when indoors. Tailoring is apparently very boring... :)

Yeah i never Understood why Doing Metalwork, Carpentry, Disasembling, Cooking, and so on bores the Character.

I guess if the level of the Skill is low it might be frustrating or something. But there is at least more entertainment about it than doing nothing - but the game doesnt account for that - Funnily: Removing Grass gets rid of the Boredom - that sounds like way more boring/annoying to me than Cooking or scrapping stuff ^^

According to the Temperature Stuff - Its really extreme at the moment and should be tuned down.

Its June 30th here, i basicly Run arround Naked (Swim Trunks, no Shirt, an Apron to not get my stuff too bloody, socks and shoes.

As soon as i enter my Car the Temperature Tab shows that I'm overheating instantly. It literally only takes me 1 second in the car and every body part shows red.

What i noticed - using Demin shorts, cargo shorts whatever... makes me overheat outside allready .. at 30° Celsius. Wearing a Tshirt, makes me overheat. Formal shirt (which is what i do IRL when its too hot for a Tshirt) - makes me overheat... i mean.. where not in the Savanna or something... its 30° Celsius not 50...

With this patch I'm experiencing game breaking lag. To reproduce, get a car siren going.on the first day (apocalypses), circle the surrounding cells during the next one/two days then try getting as close to the siren as possible. Previous patch I managed to get a molotov off by the 3rd day, but now it's not a possible strategy for me anymore, due to lag..

I've tried fiddling with the settings, with minor progress, on that note It would at some point be useful to have a reset or different performance settings on the option page.

Besides big hoard scenarios, game is getting really exacting and love the work you are putting into it.

Edited by Bilb0
words

Man, this insulation stuff is painfully unrealistic and punishing. For reference, I live in a Canadian mountain town on Lake Superior - I know Northwestern Ontario cold. Today is a warmer day, we we were at -3 for our high, and I was fine wearing 1 down jacket over my shirt - not sweater - and usually replace the former with a hoodie when I leave work for the day. The fact that I have to wear 4 layers of clothing to survive spring in Kentucky is both absolutely hilarious and terrifying.

I look forward to your next patch - hopefully this gets heavily rebalanced. Other than that, there is a ton of great detail here. I'm surprised with how much potential this system has.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

Think the thing people keep forgetting that just because up in the northern climates you can wear summer clothes in winter ( hell I do myself) that someone who lives in Kentucky may not be able to. Thats not to say its currently balanced but need alittle perspective on the biome differences.

13 hours ago, Kalista said:

Think the thing people keep forgetting that just because up in the northern climates you can wear summer clothes in winter ( hell I do myself) that someone who lives in Kentucky may not be able to. Thats not to say its currently balanced but need alittle perspective on the biome differences.

Sorry, but I think you misunderstood my post. I've been in the south before, I haven't been up here for my entire life. Focusing solely on the clothing in Kentucky, people wear tank tops in spring - that's usually fine on most days. A lot of farming is done in the spring, since Kentucky isn't frozen over - almost at any point. Hell, the warm temperatures make spring one of the best times to visit the state. Recognizing how much this was done so winter can seem balanced, having to wear this much clothing just to survive indoors in spring is obscene and comical. Perspective has absolutely nothing to do with it. I don't need to live there to justify my case.

I'm confident the staff will rebalance this as this is merely a test run of it after all. It just needs proper playtesting.

It also goes without saying that this much weather danger makes Kentucky feel like a Siberian wasteland instead of anything close to southern USA. Even dialed back, if freezing to death is going to be a regular scare - it's fairly tone deaf, and I don't think it is intended. With that said, I'll happily adjust my temp settings in sandbox to make it feel more immersive by my own standards.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

• nasKo unpinned this topic