Tool quality system.

Burger_Time

So, recently I was thinking how can the crafting system be improved, and I came up with an idea of tool quality system. While it may not be a very hard thing to implement, I think it could make the crafting system a little bit more in-depth and allow to implement more complex crafts and tools.

Firstly, how's it gonna look like?

Every tool, or item that could be used as one, will have a quality of some sort. There will be five qualities: "awful", "bad", "normal", "good" and "excellent." So, for example, a simple stone would have a hammering quality of "awful", a club hammer — "good" and a proper hammer would have an "excellent" quality. 

PicsArt_11-19-08_39_23.thumb.jpg.d4985a3376c2bf8e95d9fc3306337eb0.jpg

Here's a quick mockup of how you'd check the quality of an item.

What is it gonna do?

Firstly, some of the crafting recipes and building stuff will require tools with different qualities, and depending on how high the quality of the tool is, time required and quality of the crafted item will change.

Example: Hypotetical Mister X has caught a rabbit and he wants to butcher it. Depending on his own skill, quality of his workplace and quality of the tool he owns, the results will differ. So butchering with, let's say, a hunting knife is going to be faster, yield more useful parts and less garbage than butchering with a sharp stone. Same with tailoring, hammering, screwing, bolting, cooking and many other stuff that you can do.

Secondly, some of the crafting recipes will have the lower limit of the required tool, which means you will have to find better tools than you already have.

Example: Mr. X moved into a new place and he decided that the first thing he'll do will be barricading. Now, while that one stone in his backpack might be good enough for denting stuff, cracking nuts and breaking windows, it's not the best tool for hammering, and he'll have to find a better tool for that. Or, perhaps, make a stone hammer, which is good enough.

PicsArt_11-19-10_44_30.thumb.jpg.8e1e96bcd2c163ee59a8aa7b76e4dd91.jpg

What good is it gonna do?

Well, besides making the crafting system at least somewhat better, it'd slightly improve devs' ability to add new crafting recipes and tools, because instead of manually adding every possible tool to the craft, they'll just need to assign the required quality and set quality definitions for the tool.

Fin.

Thx to ma boi Vunder from discord for helping me with pics.

Edited by Burger_Time
Added mockup for crafting requirement.