Game crashes on main menu

GodsLaughter

Question

Hi all, I've been trying to solve this problem for 2 days without success. 

I have PZ (41.19) installed in both my personal and my work computer. Personal computer still works great, but the game stopped working on my work computer 2 days ago.

It basically loads all the way to the main menu, and once there I can't click on anything. After a couple of seconds it freezes and the program closes.

Nothing has really changed on the computer other than W10 updates and nvidia driver update. The game worked one day, and didn't work the next day. 

I've tried many things (Not in this order): Rolling back to different driver versions, run both .BAT, delete Zomboid folder, uninstall, reinstall, roll back to stable version, disable steam overlay, check file integrity, changed resolution, unplugged extra monitors, etc. I always get the same exact result. 

Attaching console.txt, which I really don't understand. 

Any help?

Xeon E5-2640 v4

RAM 64GB

GTX 1070

Screenshot (8).png

console.txt

4 answers to this question

Hi all, I've manage to get the game running again. 

So this is what I figured out: Before this happened the game was working, and as I said nothing had changed in the computer.

I was wrong, something had changed.

I used to have both a Kensington trackball and a Wacom tablet connected, and just before the problem started I had disconnected the Wacom since I'm packing to move soon. 

Turns out, this is when the problem started. If I leave just the Trackball plugged, the game won't start. As soon as I plug any other input device, the game works again. 

So I found an old mouse, plugged it and hid it behind the monitor, and I'm playing normally with my Trackball. 

So I went ahead and did a complete windows reinstall, hoping it would solve the problem. Sadly after reinstalling everything again, PZ still has the same problem. 

Only way I can play on this computer at the moment is by streaming the game from my other computer. 

This is a tricky one indeed. 

4 hours ago, GodsLaughter said:

Hi all, I've been trying to solve this problem for 2 days without success. 

I have PZ (41.19) installed in both my personal and my work computer. Personal computer still works great, but the game stopped working on my work computer 2 days ago.

It basically loads all the way to the main menu, and once there I can't click on anything. After a couple of seconds it freezes and the program closes.

Nothing has really changed on the computer other than W10 updates and nvidia driver update. The game worked one day, and didn't work the next day. 

I've tried many things (Not in this order): Rolling back to different driver versions, run both .BAT, delete Zomboid folder, uninstall, reinstall, roll back to stable version, disable steam overlay, check file integrity, changed resolution, unplugged extra monitors, etc. I always get the same exact result. 

Attaching console.txt, which I really don't understand. 

Any help?

Xeon E5-2640 v4

RAM 64GB

GTX 1070

Screenshot (8).png

console.txt 1.02 MB · 1 download

IF you're running IWBUMS it might be a quirk of the current update.

Go to your C:\Users\%Username%\Zomboid and find and open with any Text Editor software a file named options.ini

Find this line

bMultithreadedRendering=true

And change it to

bMultithreadedRendering=false

It's one of the things that I know used to cause crashes like that years back so who knows, might work. Either that or the game as of some recent update just dies on some intel CPUs as I cannot run it on my Job issue lenovo no matter what, always does what you described.

Edit: Though in my case it's probably the fault of my work laptop not having a GPU and Intel's HD Graphics just being poop because the thing is old.

Edit 2: Thread below, also try what Beard recommends.

Happy Monday and thanks for the reply,

Sadly none of the edits to options.ini changed the behavior in any way. 

After testing more today running the game with the .bat, I noticed the console and the game seems to load fine. It doesn't crash in the menu if I don't interact with it. But as soon as I move my mouse and try to click, the console goes into this loop:

zombie.GameWindow frameStep
SEVERE: null
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
        at zombie.input.Mouse.isButtonDown(Mouse.java:49)
        at zombie.ui.UITextBox2.onMouseMoveOutside(UITextBox2.java:577)
        at zombie.ui.UIElement.onMouseMoveOutside(UIElement.java:1062)
        at zombie.ui.UIElement.onMouseMoveOutside(UIElement.java:1062)
        at zombie.ui.UIElement.onMouseMove(UIElement.java:1037)
        at zombie.ui.UIManager.update(UIManager.java:961)
        at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:234)
        at zombie.core.profiling.AbstractPerformanceProfileProbe.invokeAndMeasure(AbstractPerformanceProfileProbe.java:71)
        at zombie.GameWindow.frameStep(GameWindow.java:673)
        at zombie.GameWindow.run_ez(GameWindow.java:594)
        at zombie.GameWindow.mainThread(GameWindow.java:460)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

This message keeps looping until the game stops responding, (as shown on the console.txt I posted above).

Seems related to the mouse/input somehow?

Archived