Cannot cook a blue plastic bucket to sterilize water

ohgodspidersno

4 hours ago, ohgodspidersno said:

If you put a blue bucket of water in a cooker it will not heat up

Also, you can dry wet towels in the oven but you cannot dry wet clothes. It would be great if you could dry clothes in there, too.

Because those blue buckets are made of plastic, at least that's always what I thought

On 11/15/2019 at 10:38 AM, SabitaUsagi said:

this is a joke, right... right?

You never saw that Seinfeld episode where Kramer started cooking his clothes?

I think it should work with the caveat that leaving them in too long degrades the condition of the clothing and will quickly start a fire.

Really I just think that wet towels and wet clothes should be dryable in the same ways and right now you can oven dry towels but you cannot oven dry clothes.

Edited by ohgodspidersno
A typo had completely changed the meaning of my last sentence

8 hours ago, ohgodspidersno said:

You never saw that Seinfeld episode where Kramer started cooking his clothes?

I think it should work with the caveat that leaving them in too long degrades the condition of the clothing and will quickly start a fire.

Really I just think that wet towels and wet clothes should be dryable in the same ways and right now you can oven dry clothes.

Oh no the oven part yeah thats a cool Idea, but i don't think you could dry wet clothes in the oven in build 40. So I don't think this is a "bug"

what i hope is a joke is the blue bucket thing, though i guess it should heat up, and then melt...

On 11/15/2019 at 9:10 PM, SabitaUsagi said:

Oh no the oven part yeah thats a cool Idea, but i don't think you could dry wet clothes in the oven in build 40. So I don't think this is a "bug"

what i hope is a joke is the blue bucket thing, though i guess it should heat up, and then melt...

Firstly I just realized a typo in my last sentence completely changed the meaning of my sentence, you CAN oven dry towels but you cannot oven dry clothes.

I suppose the game, for simplicity's sake, makes it so that anything that would behave weirdly in an oven  irl, will instead just not do anything at all, which as you said explains why the blue bucket doesn't cook.

I can live with that.

One cool thing I discovered recently was that if you cook gasoline it will eventually explode, killing you if you are standing nearby.

Edited by ohgodspidersno

On 11/15/2019 at 1:20 PM, Stancho Pansa said:

You still should be able to boil the water in the bucket. It wont melt because the water is cooling it. 

If only humanity had known this before, we could've saved all the metal we wasted making pots and pans, and put it to better use wrapping up candy bars.

7 hours ago, Aggrobiscuit said:

If only humanity had known this before, we could've saved all the metal we wasted making pots and pans, and put it to better use wrapping up candy bars.

I think he's saying that in an "ideal" (i.e. high school steady state chemistry problem) the heat will go toward raising the temperature of everything inside the oven to 100 Celsius, at which point all additional heat will go into boiling the water, and only after the water is completely evaporated will the heat start going toward heating things past 100 degrees. If that's our assumption, then any bucket that melted at >101 Celsius would be safe to cook in an oven if it were filled with water.

Clearly that wouldn't happen in real life because things don't ever heat evenly, especially if they're made of different materials with different conductivities and specific heat capacities.

(Or I'm giving him too much credit)

On 11/21/2019 at 9:05 AM, ohgodspidersno said:

I think he's saying that in an "ideal" (i.e. high school steady state chemistry problem) the heat will go toward raising the temperature of everything inside the oven to 100 Celsius, at which point all additional heat will go into boiling the water, and only after the water is completely evaporated will the heat start going toward heating things past 100 degrees. If that's our assumption, then any bucket that melted at >101 Celsius would be safe to cook in an oven if it were filled with water.

Clearly that wouldn't happen in real life because things don't ever heat evenly, especially if they're made of different materials with different conductivities and specific heat capacities.

(Or I'm giving him too much credit)

Studied mechanics and physics. In theory should be possible, but for a limited amount of time, to boil the water without melting the plastic. I am not saying anything about the chemicals that plastic releases when heated (@Rass that was gold) . Depends on the water itself, if its pure or not, depends of the type of plastic etc. So in theory yes. In reality.. haven't checked yet i like my blue bucket :D