Jump to content
JDSweetBeat

IWBUMS Build 41 Not loading to main menu...

Recommended Posts

Basically, the title. Every time I start Project Zomboid, the screen goes black like the game is starting up.

 

Then, after about 10 or so seconds, the game crashes to desktop with no clear reason.

 

This happens even after I disable and delete all workshop mods.

 

It started about 2 or so weeks ago.

 

My hardware had absolutely no problems running PZ IWBUMS Build 41 before that, so unless you MASSIVELY upped the hardware requirements, that should not be the issue.


My driver software is completely up to date (as up to date as possible, anyway; the hardware manufacturer doesn't release new driver updates anymore as I'm using a 2014 desktop with an integrated graphics card).

logs.zip Logs.rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try going to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and delete all the files there except the "Saves" folder, as we dont want to lose the saves. Or you can just move them out as a backup, since it stores your configuration / favourite servers and such.
This should stop any mods from loading (it is better to provide logs without any mods), and clean out potential files that could cause these issues, since it these crashes didn't happen before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, Beard said:

Try going to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and delete all the files there except the "Saves" folder, as we dont want to lose the saves. Or you can just move them out as a backup, since it stores your configuration / favourite servers and such.
This should stop any mods from loading (it is better to provide logs without any mods), and clean out potential files that could cause these issues, since it these crashes didn't happen before.

I'll try this and get back do you. Do you want me to re-upload the logs?

 

Also, the 11/12/19 or 11/11/19 log files SHOULD be without any mods enabled (I'm not sure which date, but it's one of those two).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, Beard said:

Try going to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and delete all the files there except the "Saves" folder, as we dont want to lose the saves. Or you can just move them out as a backup, since it stores your configuration / favourite servers and such.
This should stop any mods from loading (it is better to provide logs without any mods), and clean out potential files that could cause these issues, since it these crashes didn't happen before.

 

Done. Here are the log files (I included the entire C:\Users\djack\Zomboid folder minus the "mods" folder, for reference).

Zomboid.rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm some textures seem to fail to load, which usually indicates low vram or other graphical issues. Since it ran before just fine, maybe you changed some settings that would cause the crashing?
Replace the options.ini file in the Zomboid folder with the attached one, it should lower a bunch of your settings and then maybe you can get your game to start at least, then you can switch the settings back how it was before the crashes.
options.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 3:27 AM, Beard said:

Hmm some textures seem to fail to load, which usually indicates low vram or other graphical issues. Since it ran before just fine, maybe you changed some settings that would cause the crashing?
Replace the options.ini file in the Zomboid folder with the attached one, it should lower a bunch of your settings and then maybe you can get your game to start at least, then you can switch the settings back how it was before the crashes.
options.ini

Thanks. I downloaded the file and the game boots up and stays running (so no crash). However, the screen stays black (left it running for like 5 minutes to see if it was just loading, and nothing). I can hear the music running in the background, however, so progress. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be good to again send the game logs after that happens. Though I dont have many ideas as it could just be a graphics card issue, maybe future optimizations will prevent it from crashing so much.

I recommend starting the game with the "ProjectZomboid32.bat" file found in your game folder "Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid"

I also recommend disabling the Steam overlay (rarely causes black screens)

Open the Steam client and navigate to the Steam > Settings/Preferences > In-game tab. Uncheck the box next to Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

overlay_options.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, Beard said:

It would be good to again send the game logs after that happens. Though I dont have many ideas as it could just be a graphics card issue, maybe future optimizations will prevent it from crashing so much.

I recommend starting the game with the "ProjectZomboid32.bat" file found in your game folder "Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid"

I also recommend disabling the Steam overlay (rarely causes black screens)

Open the Steam client and navigate to the Steam > Settings/Preferences > In-game tab. Uncheck the box next to Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

overlay_options.JPG

 

Okay, did that. Same problem. I've attached the logs. Any feedback at all would be helpful. I don't see how it could be my graphics card. This doesn't seem like a really "high-graphics" game, even with the anims but I guess I could be wrong.

Zomboid.rar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it looks like the driver number changed. Did the installation complete successfully? Did you restart your computer once it was done?

 

If so, what's your computer's specs? I'd like to see if I have something that comes close to matching it. 

 

How's it crashing? Do you get a white screen or "not responding" message? If so, try waiting it out for a few minutes, as it finishes loading. For example, in the log from 25-11-19 14:55, it looks like the game  almost loaded successfully then was closed normally by pressing the X button. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Well, it looks like the driver number changed. Did the installation complete successfully? Did you restart your computer once it was done?

 

If so, what's your computer's specs? I'd like to see if I have something that comes close to matching it. 

 

How's it crashing? Do you get a white screen or "not responding" message? If so, try waiting it out for a few minutes, as it finishes loading. For example, in the log from 25-11-19 14:55, it looks like the game  almost loaded successfully then was closed normally by pressing the X button. 

 

The game kind of sort of loads (if that makes sense). The black screen stays for like, 15 minutes, but the theme music plays in the background.

 

I'll upload my specs when I get home from campus.

 

I have not updated my drivers in the time period between postings.

 

It is not crashing at all. It is "kind of" loading. The black loading screen just never turns into the main menu anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Well, it looks like the driver number changed. Did the installation complete successfully? Did you restart your computer once it was done?

 

If so, what's your computer's specs? I'd like to see if I have something that comes close to matching it. 

 

How's it crashing? Do you get a white screen or "not responding" message? If so, try waiting it out for a few minutes, as it finishes loading. For example, in the log from 25-11-19 14:55, it looks like the game  almost loaded successfully then was closed normally by pressing the X button. 

 

My specs are attached in 2 png files.

cpu.PNG

gpu.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

Well, it looks like the driver number changed. Did the installation complete successfully? Did you restart your computer once it was done?

 

If so, what's your computer's specs? I'd like to see if I have something that comes close to matching it. 

 

How's it crashing? Do you get a white screen or "not responding" message? If so, try waiting it out for a few minutes, as it finishes loading. For example, in the log from 25-11-19 14:55, it looks like the game  almost loaded successfully then was closed normally by pressing the X button. 

Hate to bug you guys, but could somebody get back to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure there's much else I can suggest beyond updating drivers or possibly moving to a different OS (like Windows 7/8 or Linux) that may offer the support Intel doesn't provide on Windows 10. 

 

Generally computers with HD 2000s ( the integrated graphics that's provided by your processor) aren't capable of running cars or animations. It's why we had an HD 4000 or above as the recommended spec for some years on the Steam store. With recent changes, we now recommended a dedicated or  discrete graphics card of some form.

 

The drivers for the HD 2000 is just too poorly implemented by Intel. 

 

You can try the work-around here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/1642041886384670344/

Maybe one of them will let you get into the game, if it's just down to something like 2x textures overwhelming the computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...