Autoswitch to weapon when smashing windows if one is on belt

muscamole

Basically exactly as the title suggests. If you have a weapon on your belt capable of smashing a window without causing injury you should switch to it automatically if you're smashing a window. This would prevent a lot of dumb immersion breaking hand injuries. Lots of actions, such as filling up a gas can, unequip your primary weapon, it can be easy to forget that you didn't reequip it. And then you don't realize it until you've punched the window and start bleeding. You would never do this in real life except maybe under extreme panic because you would always be aware of what you have in your hands. If you had a hammer hanging right there on your hip you wouldn't just punch a window.

i know some really stupid people, they would forget there is a hammer on their belt. They would also just punch in a window with out thinking about a more appropriate tool.

Personally ive never had an issue with this. i only break windows if i must, and i always check i have something in hand first.

Anyone who would attempt to punch out a car window with their hand with a hammer hanging on their belt is either exceptionally stupid or extremely panicked and not thinking correctly. I think its safe to assume that our survivor is probably not as stupid as those people, so as long as they aren't panicked they should just automatically do the thing that most reasonable people would do in that situation, which is use a tool rather than their fists.

I think its poor design for a game that pitches itself as realistic to make the player manually carry out these sorts of checks that would be automatic for a person. Sure, you can check if you have something in your hand by going to your inventory and making sure you have a weapon equipped. You can look at your character and see that he is holding something in his hand. This can be obscured in certain situations, like when you're to the north of a car that is facing south, and you want to break into the driver's seat. But more importantly you shouldn't have to do that at all because the in game character would automatically know that they didn't have something in their hand, just like you automatically know whether or not you have something in your hand IRL. It just adds a few tedious steps that don't need to exist.

We already have tons of these automatic switches when it makes sense. For example, you don't have to manually make sure that the gas can is equipped to add gas to it, your character knows to switch because they aren't an idiot. You don't have to manually equip your hammer when dismantling furniture. You don't have to manually equip planks when constructing. You don't need to manually equip the saw and screwdriver when those things are required. So why do you have to manually equip a weapon to smash a window?