Please add a dedicated "shove" button and a dedicated "stomp" button

ohgodspidersno

Most of my deaths occur in fights with multiple zombies where my guy pushes when he should be stomping, or stomps when he should be pushing.

If I were able to choose it would be much less frustrating, and I would be able to engage in more interesting and dynamic battles that I currently need to avoid simply because I know the UI will kill me.

Edited by ohgodspidersno

2 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Isn't shove a dedicated button bound to Space or some button on gamepad?

Hes referring to shove and stomp being the same, rather than shove and stomp being seperated. He pushes over a zombie and wants to shove/stomp and does the wrong one.

1 hour ago, Ziggylata said:

Hes referring to shove and stomp being the same, rather than shove and stomp being seperated. He pushes over a zombie and wants to shove/stomp and does the wrong one.

Still doesn't make sense. If you're out of range of a suitable target, you shove instead of stomp.

Having a dedicated button wouldn't sort that.

25 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Still doesn't make sense. If you're out of range of a suitable target, you shove instead of stomp.

How does the game prioritize shove vs stomp when there are multiple suitable targets? I think that's the issue OP is describing. In my experience the game does a fairly good job of picking the right priority, especially compared to when build 41 first dropped, but it doesn't always, which can lead to frustrating deaths that could be avoided if the player could manually choose that priority through dedicated buttons.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If you are a fighting  two zombies at the same time, and they are both next to you but one is on the ground and one is on its feet, then pushing spacebar may make your guy shove or it may make him stomp. Often times it makes the wrong choice, which will either kill you immediately (if it stomps instead of shoves thus allowing the standing one to eat you) or set you up to die a few seconds later (if you shoved instead of stomped thus keeping an extra zed alive so that you will get overwhelmed a few moments later).

If there were a way for me to choose whether I stomp or shove this wouldn't happen, and if I died anyway it would be my own fault.

I'm not even asking for the current spacebar to change, since it generally does a good job; I just want dedicated buttons to exist as an option.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If you're so close that it matters, you're going to die anyway.

Don't fight two zombies so close, at once, that this is an issue.

Thats absolutely not true. Infact, the lack of consistancy in your characters actions are what gets you killed in that scenario, as you need to be ready for both options even though you want one.

I've found that weapon range is an issue, they are too short.

When I increased Axe's range from 1.4 to 1.5 I saw a huge difference.

Usually I miss because you need to be really point blank for the hit to register.

The leadpipe has a range of 1.7 yet the Axe and baseballbat has only a range of 1.4

4 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I feel at 9 or 10 strenght you should be able to shove 2 zombies

Two very fast zombies coming at you at warp speed 9.9 is indeed something very dangerous almost unfair.

So if we had to pick one rule, I'd say that Shove take priority if both situations exist at the time of button press.... ie, one zombie on the ground, and another stumbling at you...   Stomp is what gets you bit...  Because the one on the ground is no threat until he gets back up...  Can't really think of a situation where Stomp should take priority when there's a moving one that close... 

Well, actually.... If I was wearing Plate armor, I suppose I'd just want to keep stomping since I couldn't get bitten... But that's about it.

13 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If you're so close that it matters, you're going to die anyway.

I don't understand why you're arguing this position. The lack of dedicated push and stomp buttons is the primary reason not to fight two zombies up close. Also you don't always have a choice.

8 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

So if we had to pick one rule, I'd say that Shove take priority if both situations exist at the time of button press.... ie, one zombie on the ground, and another stumbling at you...   Stomp is what gets you bit...  Because the one on the ground is no threat until he gets back up...  Can't really think of a situation where Stomp should take priority when there's a moving one that close... 

Well, actually.... If I was wearing Plate armor, I suppose I'd just want to keep stomping since I couldn't get bitten... But that's about it.

I've had moments where both zombies are getting up, but one is at the point in the animation where you can stomp and the other is at the point where you can shove. In that situation it is better to stomp because you will keep him down and possibly kill him, and you will still have plenty of time until the other zed is ready to attack.

8 hours ago, ohgodspidersno said:

I've had moments where both zombies are getting up, but one is at the point in the animation where you can stomp and the other is at the point where you can shove. In that situation it is better to stomp because you will keep him down and possibly kill him, and you will still have plenty of time until the other zed is ready to attack.

true.... true... Okay so how about this  then ?

If you are aiming (pushing on look analog stick) or have the aim mouse button depressed.... It shoves all the time, never stomping....

If you are not aiming, it will stomp only when available primarily, but also allow shoving if there is nothing to stomp.

This would give intuitive choice since aiming is directing a movement on the X/Y plane, so we'd get used to no input to direct the attack down the Z axis (ground)

Scenario this might work goes something like this :

Walk up to a knocked down zombie and begin stomping... After a few boot heels, hes still not dead, but you hear another one behind you.... So intuitively, you aim to look behind you and keep attacking... This locks out stomp, and shoves the one that came up behind you... Once its down, you simply face it, release aim input and attack to make all available (Z-axis) stomps...  or if none are there, you will just shove air.

16 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

true.... true... Okay so how about this  then ?

If you are aiming (pushing on look analog stick) or have the aim mouse button depressed.... It shoves all the time, never stomping....

If you are not aiming, it will stomp only when available primarily, but also allow shoving if there is nothing to stomp.

This would give intuitive choice since aiming is directing a movement on the X/Y plane, so we'd get used to no input to direct the attack down the Z axis (ground)

Scenario this might work goes something like this :

Walk up to a knocked down zombie and begin stomping... After a few boot heels, hes still not dead, but you hear another one behind you.... So intuitively, you aim to look behind you and keep attacking... This locks out stomp, and shoves the one that came up behind you... Once its down, you simply face it, release aim input and attack to make all available (Z-axis) stomps...  or if none are there, you will just shove air.

You need to be able to aim while stomping, since the game actually takes the position of your target cursor into strong consideration during ground attacks. It's not just about the direction you're facing and where your feet are, the thing your mouse is actually on top of is what is struck. 

I'm all for contextual action buttons but I'd still really like dedicated buttons regardless of what else is implemented.