Desensitized Trait Suggestion

Josko

Make desensitized trait available for everyone and not just Veteran. Have it cost 10 points, and change so Veteran starts at 6 Aiming and 6 Reloading and remove desensitized free trait for Veteran profession.

In turn, change so Police officer costs 0 points so there is an incentive to choose police officer over veteran.

The reason I want it like this is because I found myself using Veteran only for the desensitized trait and that is wrong.

Imagine if Strong or Athletic was tied to a profession, that would surely suck!

Also give Hunter trait +1 to reloading skill because it makes sense that a hunter would reload some too.

Edited by Josko

I always found the traits a bit odd because they seem like your "starting hand" of skills and experience, but there's no way to gain or lose these traits through gameplay, they're all predetermined and permanent. After 6 months bashing zombies (maybe a combination of time survived and number killed) every character should have the desensitised trait. Likewise a smoker that runs out of cigarettes should eventually lose the trait and associated anxiety from not smoking, maybe with a taper down mechanic so we can actually make characters "quit" their habit. I'd want to quit smoking too if I knew no more cigarettes were ever being made and I couldn't grow my own tobacco crops. Then we have traits like over and underweight, do those go away after enough time and careful management of the nutrition system? Most of the positive and negative traits seem to counterbalance one another so being able to work towards dropping negatives and eventually gaining their positive counterparts through clever long term gameplay seems like a no brainer to me. You could have a bit of fun working out what statistics to track to measure progress, like what if speed demon or sunday driver were given based on your actual average driving speed? 😋

6 hours ago, Loskene said:

I always found the traits a bit odd because they seem like your "starting hand" of skills and experience, but there's no way to gain or lose these traits through gameplay, they're all predetermined and permanent. After 6 months bashing zombies (maybe a combination of time survived and number killed) every character should have the desensitised trait. Likewise a smoker that runs out of cigarettes should eventually lose the trait and associated anxiety from not smoking, maybe with a taper down mechanic so we can actually make characters "quit" their habit. I'd want to quit smoking too if I knew no more cigarettes were ever being made and I couldn't grow my own tobacco crops. Then we have traits like over and underweight, do those go away after enough time and careful management of the nutrition system? Most of the positive and negative traits seem to counterbalance one another so being able to work towards dropping negatives and eventually gaining their positive counterparts through clever long term gameplay seems like a no brainer to me. You could have a bit of fun working out what statistics to track to measure progress, like what if speed demon or sunday driver were given based on your actual average driving speed? 😋

Well you technically do have it after about 6 months or so. You gaining less panic over time almost equivalent to the trait, I am going to to (shamelessly) plug my suggestion on the topic: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26171-make-the-the-courage-mechanic-into-an-actual-skillattribute/

which would make both the mechanic more visible.

Edited by buwaro
formatting

On 11/7/2019 at 8:08 AM, Loskene said:

Likewise a smoker that runs out of cigarettes should eventually lose the trait and associated anxiety from not smoking, maybe with a taper down mechanic so we can actually make characters "quit" their habit. I'd want to quit smoking too if I knew no more cigarettes were ever being made and I couldn't grow my own tobacco crops.😋

As a reformed smoker, I can tell you the urge never goes away