Does newly spawned food loot take account of in-game time for rotting?

camelCaseGaming

42 minutes ago, camelCaseGaming said:

Pretty much the title. Since I read recently that you can go to new areas to spawn more loot, is the game smart enough to apply the survivor time to the food that is found?

Yes.

So in your solo game, after a couple weeks all the perishable foods will be rotten everywhere. Some items will spoil faster than others. Some people seem to make a habit of spending those first days getting a car,  a generator a few freezers then scream around and loot as much fresh stuff as possible before it goes bad.

Problem is, any more than 2 or 3 fridges/freezers and the fuel usage is so high (even at Electronics L10) that you can't go away from home on adventures for more than a couple days without having to come back to refuel the geny.

So it all ends up the same in the end :

- make a custom game and change the generator fuel usage as desired OR

- settle in one area to farm, fill a couple freezers with your crops OR

-just travel from town to town, staying as long as there's canned food and junk (fatty) food so you can maintain the weight you want. (i.e. no farming at all)

I tried to keep it brief but, like many systems in PZ, they're deep enough that they can support alot of different playstyles!

Hope it helps.

*edit - should have also said, you can edit the sandbox games to change the food spoil speed etc. To be honest, spending some time looking at the sandbox pages will likely answer alot of those questions you might have. I know it did for way back when and it still does when I forget stuff

2 hours ago, SonnyJim said:

Yes.

So in your solo game, after a couple weeks all the perishable foods will be rotten everywhere. Some items will spoil faster than others. Some people seem to make a habit of spending those first days getting a car,  a generator a few freezers then scream around and loot as much fresh stuff as possible before it goes bad.

That's nice to hear, and interesting. So that means there's an ideal amount of time to spend storing perishables before there's a cut-off period where your stored calories take you to the period in the game where all foods will be rotten- any further looting of perishable food would be redundant. I'll have to do some calculations to find out what that period is, but it really depends on how exactly foods are spawned in; I imagine the container is taken into consideration in working out how rotten a food is decided to be.

In Sandbox you can choose to have Water and Electricity stay available longer as well, and to have more food spawn. I always grab whatever fresh food is at hand in those early days, but don't really go out of the way to stockpile it. Farming, Trapping, and Fishing eventually supplement looting to maintain a somewhat balanced diet if you make it long-term.

11 hours ago, camelCaseGaming said:

... the period in the game where all foods will be rotten- any further looting of perishable food would be redundant. I'll have to do some calculations to find out what that period is, but it really depends on how exactly foods are spawned in; I imagine the container is taken into consideration in working out how rotten a food is decided to be.

I'm not an expert in the game scripts, I always prefer to learn from just playing, the fruits of knowledge from trial and many errors!

Regarding spoilage rates from different containers - I haven't tested it more than just to ascertain that the difference between refrigerated and non-refrigerated is huge .. and that Frozen vs refrigerated is significantly better again. So for me, a freezer and a generator is enough to keep it simple so I can focus on other stuff.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, camelCaseGaming said:

any further looting of perishable food would be redundant.

Until you have cooking maxed anyway at which point you can still use the rotten food. Plus you can use it as compost as well.

Archived