Gun parts and more realistic way to repair guns

MrTrololo

character would be able to find gun parts in some places,and even assemble complete one if he have proper knowledge

optionally parts can be used to repair weapons by using proper parts(replacing degraded ones with parts with better condition)

also he would be able to dismantle guns for parts(screwdriver required)

repairing gun by that way wouldn't increase repair counter,because we only replacing parts

example parts:

-barrel

-receiver

-firing pin

-spring

-trigger system

-bolt(for rifles)

character would be also able to create wooden stock for shotgun or rifle if he have materials and tools

Honestly the guns are about as complex as I'd like them to be already. Futzing around racking them and having reload split into two actions with mag weapons is enough, and I have never repaired a gun in this game, not sure if I've even broken one from heavy use. If we want the repair mechanism to be less silly I'd say just go with a generic lootable "weapon cleaning/repair kit" the likes you'd get in DayZ. Replacing gun parts sounds like replacing car parts again. Fun in theory, tedious in practice, only cars get away with it by being so useful they need that level of complexity just to balance them. Plus we could do with less "non gun things" taking up valuable limited spawn spaces in gun containers, I've already begun to loathe seeing the recoil pad and the tactical walkie talkie. I would not like to walk home with nothing but 3 spare barrels and a firing pin for rifles I don't have, magazines are already worth their weight in platinum.

This could actually work both ways in terms of complexity...

- For players who prefer simple, it could be largely unchanged.... simply find the same "donor" weapon and repair... Difference being, the game would keep track of which parts are worn, and take which-ever components of the two available donor weapon parts to automatically improve the condition (per part) of the one being fixed... The donor weapon will not be "consumed" but rather its condition (overall sum condition of its parts) will be reduced accordingly...

(much the same as vehicle system)

- For players who prefer detail, donor weapons can be disassembled into their perspective parts and kept as spares... Difference being, when applied to the weapon being fixed, the end result is only that part is exchanged, and the condition is recalculated according the sum condition of parts taking into account the one that was just replaced... The left over part may or may not be consumed perhaps depending on a Gunsmith trait skill level...

I like your idea, because certain parts pretty much never wear out... and other's break more often than others... And your idea reflects how a gunsmith would carry out repairs, and maintain spare parts to do their job, bringing me to an additional suggestion...

- The complex option to disassemble into components might only unlock after a "Gunsmith" trait is high enough... And perhaps using the simple method with lower or no skill level would net less additional condition, and/or not have the ability to retain the old part as a spare (because it was broken in the process). This could capture realism and detail, yet retain the function for those who are not interested in adding this sort of clutter to their QOL...

The motivation to learn the skill would be storage capacity since spare parts weigh less than entire spare (donor) guns... and less waste in world where resources are scarce...

The main thing that I think we're talking about removing is the whole "times repaired" count... which creates that "looming certain death" of all your favorite weapons feeling... Though nothing lasts forever, some things so far a weapons go, can and do last for generations.... and certain types are somewhat disposable by design and the durability of their components... The existing system abbreviates realism in this aspect if you think about it...

Compared to maintaining vehicles, where players are free to switch vehicles using than as disposable transportation changing only the occasional tire, and conversely are free to run around collecting parts to open their own parts department to ensure their "favorite" vehicle lasts a long time.... that's the beauty of choice and accurately simulates reality...  imo