People of Zomboid, what is the dumbest mistake you have made to either die or be gravely injured?

BodaciousMan

I was playing on a new character build today that I haven't tried before. I decided to be a burger flipper with a few negative traits. (Overweight, high thirst, etc.) 

Well I decided to try to teach this dumb fatso carpentry. So I cooked him a bunch of food (I was also trying to see if there was a weight cap on how big I can make this fatty.) In the process of me cooking a giant pot of stew amongst like 3 other foods, Woodcraft came on the T.V. I ended up losing track of time, and my character got tired. I also forgot the horde of greasy goodness in the oven. Suddenly I wake up house ablaze. I grabbed some sheet ropes I had made and hastily got my slightly cooked bacon out of the second story window. What was at the ground outside you ask? You guessed it, a group of zeds. Well they ate this slightly cooked fatman and that was the end of Terry Garcia. 

Never forgetti, rest in spaghetti. 

2 day old character, searching for supplies.

Sneak up to a house.. Door is locked (rattle rattle, love that noise), move to the window as I hear the grumble and groan inside.

Look in the window, seems all clear. Open the window and climb in side as a Z appears out off the darkness. I push then get ready to take a swing with the baseball bat..

I was not holding a baseball bat, as I had just filled the water bottle in the last house I was in.  I guess he was not thirsty,  I died.

i was doing pretty well for myself, had a car and a few supplies and was heading out of town. bit low on fuel so though i would stop and raid the junkyard at riverside. hopped the fence and dealt with the few stragglers inside. this unfortunately tired my poor park ranger out and he couldn't climb back over the fence.  spent the night on the back seat of a car. woke up to find the gate had been broken down and there were more zombies inside the fence and a small group in the gateway. rather than hopping the fence and going back to my car i tried to lure them away from the gate (id forgotten i was no longer tired and could climb again) this tired me out again and i wasnt able to out run them or climb the fence again. i was promptly eaten alive

1 hour ago, cerati said:

Choosing fast driver and forgetting to use the e brake in a turn. That and just falling off roofs.

That has prob killed me more time than the zombies have starting to think the deadliest thing in this game is a lead foot and trees.

Was in a car, accidently hit U (vehicleinfo) instead of Z (to switch seats) the buttons are next to each other so.

Why is vehicleinfo make you leave the char anyway? TwT

I rebinded the key now...

Jumping over things without knowing what could behind them would be the next dumbest fail I make sometimes.

Open a door and look in another direction because whatever reason and get bitten.

Happened 5 minutes ago: 20 days run, holed up in one of the houses in the rosewood gated community. No doors, only badass log walls and the indestructible fences. Woke up in the morning and for no reason I saw 15-20 zombies near the fences looking at me, so I thought it was a good idea to practice with that shottie I found in the last run. In no time the place was swarmed, but I managed to slowly kill them one by one with hammers exploiting the transparent metal fences to keep distance from the threat. When I smashed the last skull I was so satisfied. I went past the fence to smoke a cig while looking at my hard work lying on the ground and once I lit the cig up I realized the last guy I killed wasn't actually the last. So I had to return inside with a nice bite pretty close to my carachter's balls. 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, BodaciousMan said:

I was playing on a new character build today that I haven't tried before. I decided to be a burger flipper with a few negative traits. (Overweight, high thirst, etc.) 

Well I decided to try to teach this dumb fatso carpentry. So I cooked him a bunch of food (I was also trying to see if there was a weight cap on how big I can make this fatty.) In the process of me cooking a giant pot of stew amongst like 3 other foods, Woodcraft came on the T.V. I ended up losing track of time, and my character got tired. I also forgot the horde of greasy goodness in the oven. Suddenly I wake up house ablaze. I grabbed some sheet ropes I had made and hastily got my slightly cooked bacon out of the second story window. What was at the ground outside you ask? You guessed it, a group of zeds. Well they ate this slightly cooked fatman and that was the end of Terry Garcia. 

Never forgetti, rest in spaghetti. 

90% of my deaths, i swing my weapon and was just ever so slightly off aim and got bitten because of it.  When facing a zed still means miss so you got to aim slightly above or below the zed not directly at them. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:11 AM, Lornsteyn said:

Was in a car, accidently hit U (vehicleinfo) instead of Z (to switch seats) the buttons are next to each other so.

Why is vehicleinfo make you leave the char anyway? TwT

I rebinded the key now...

Jumping over things without knowing what could behind them would be the next dumbest fail I make sometimes.

Open a door and look in another direction because whatever reason and get bitten.

What keyboard are you using that has Z and U next to each other?

im absolutely gutted. my last run i lasted 5 days, bandaged away a lot of cuts and i had most things and was looking at setting up camp but was out of food and starting to starve so opted to forage. id eaten a lot of berries by this point as i crossed half the map on foot. one of them must have been poisonous though and it wiped my helf to critical and left me feeling sick. not knowing what to do i made a run for more food/provisions and promptly got slapped to death by the first zombie touch

First character on the new update, played as a police officer in muldraugh. Found a car with gas and a backpack in my spawn house. Went to the police station and looted a key off a zombie and took 1 shotgun, 2 pistols, a m16. and 200+ rounds of assorted ammo. looted some food and drinks from the nearby gas station and started driving to rosewood. Found a cop zombie with a handgun on him and 2 other random zombies. Thought: "Just three zombies EZ." Got out of my car, pulled out my nightstick get stun locked by the three of them and died.

Now any time I see more then one zombie I'm like: "Ok how am I going to do this..."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh okay, survived almost two weeks as a "Superman"  in Build 41, basically almost completed my base, etc.

I keep forgetting that fighting hordes without a molotov or a gun in Build 41 is basically suicide no matter how OP your character is. I got swarmed trying to beat them back with my trusty machete, but my character just kept attempting to shove them away rather than swinging the damn machete. (All we had to was swing the damn machete, CJ!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. First post here, so welcome to everyone :) Recently came back to the game, after a few months of a pause, going into 41. One of the recent stories:
1. Spawned in a nice house and looted all around. Decided to check out the shed in the back, although there were a couple Zs nearby. Sneaked by the entrance, but the door was locked. So i tried opening the window, but clicked a few too many times and my character first tried opening the window, then broke it and instantly went through it. Bleeding. I wanted to take care of the wounds, but 3 nearby Zs rushed through the window. I managed to push them around for a while, but finally they overcame me.

2. I mostly play Fighter on 41, but decided to try out Apocalypse. That run didn't go long, as i went into a house, sneaking around i checked everything on ground floor. Went up and one door was moving, so a zombie was inside. Checked everything around and decided to see if i can kill that zombie. Opened it up and backed not against the stairs, but the opposite, while a group of 5-7 Zs came out. Death came swiftly. Gonna check out Apocalypse some time around.

3. Was doing quite good, gathering supplies, managing to kill zombies quite well, having a backpack. Heard zombie grunts in a house, but cleared the ground floor. So i slowly crept up the stairs when a zombie attacked as the floor changed. Wasn't able to react and got a bite. Decided to live through 2 more days, but i finally drank bleach to not increase zombie population. More of a cheesy death, but gotta be careful heh.

Surely there will be more, but these were the most stupid ones i had recently.

• 2 weeks later...

I survived for a good while and found an isolated farm away from lots of zombies. I had been working on a log wall, and decided to light up a campfire to corpse burn. Ended up standing too close and catching on fire. I watched my longest lasting character die bathed in flames.

One of my best characters  was lost  at 4 and a half months in due to a open car window I couldn't see due to the angle I parked the car. I rolled it down earlier while  looking far ahead when driving and  forgot it was open.I was at muldragh auto shop I had a backpack in each hand each with a large metal shelf half for quick looting. On my return to the car I aggro a single zombie from across the parking lot so I decided to transfer one shelf to a back seat then switch seats before dealing with it. maybe giving the zombie enough time to reach the window and  bump on it once or twice before i can do so. Only the window was open so Instead i got scratched twice  and later succumbed to the virus.

• 4 weeks later...

Had just amassed a huge horde at doorstep of my base by turning the ambulance siren on. My idea was to stay behind a pre-made metal wired fence, safe, while shooting the zombies with my shotgun to increase my aiming skill. It was working fine and nice until I press "E" instead of "R" to reload my shotgun. My character just jumps over the fence to the angry mob's delight... I even try to press esc to cancel that action, to no avail... sigh... 

Archived