First Aid is too good?

cerati

I started a sandbox as a doctor and infection off. I don't even need to disinfect wounds, only wrap in ripped sheets at level 3 first aid. The wounds heal quickly and I'm not getting sick. Idk, maybe you guys already aware of what I'm describing.

36 minutes ago, Josko said:

Never played around with first aid skill or sandbox, I always use slow healer.

If I get scratched I just bandage it if its a bite or zombie infection from scratch its gameover anyway.

Exactly and Cerati is right too, first aid is way too simple.

They should make it way harder, for example:

at lvl 0 you know almost nothing, you can apply bandages but really badly you still bleed a bit, they don't last long and you take more time to apply them than right now, you use too much disinfectant than necessary, use too much pills, can't craft splints, can't stitch deep wounds, can't extract bullets, can take care of burns but badly.

at lvl 1 you're a bt better with bandages, disinfectant, pills, burns but that's all

at lvl 2 you become again better and learn to craft splints

at lvl 4 you know how to stitch deep wounds

etc

And you could practice on corpses to skill up first aid.

It needs balancing but the main idea is that a noob in first aid is really bad at it, like in real life, someone who doesn't know anything in first aid wouldn't even be able to apply properly a bandage.

Right now there is zero reason to skill up first aid and that's really a shame because in zombie apocalypse first aid is VERY important, a doctor is seen as the holy savior.

9 hours ago, Josko said:

Yeah I agree, lvl 0 first aid should know nothing, hell I dont know anything about first aid let alone how to do a proper bandage lol.

It's not that hard. Just clean the wound, use enough dressing to keep dirt out and enough pressure to keep blood in.

One thing that could be expanded is wound cleaning. If you've got dirt, sand or gravel in your wound, you could use a toothbrush to rub it out under a stream of water. Hurts like a bitch, but it gets the job done.

2 minutes ago, Rass said:

It's not that hard. Just clean the wound, use enough dressing to keep dirt out and enough pressure to keep blood in.

One thing that could be implemented is wound cleaning. If you've got dirt, sand or gravel in your wound, you could use a toothbrush to rub it out under a stream of water. Hurts like a bitch, but it gets the job done.

True, but it's better for gameplay to assume the lvl zero first aid character doesn't know any better until he reads more about it.

I'd also like to see, like, a modifier attached to Skilling up other skills at low level that induces and injury while trying to skill up, say, carpentry. Lvl zero carpenter gets more injuriea trying to learn the skill(building things)than the master carpenter. Your risk of injury is higher using low-level abilities until you get better at said skill. 

There also needs to be a lot more variety of injuries and how you receive them. Some could be relatively benign, while others more dangerous depending on the context of your character.

14 hours ago, cerati said:

I started a sandbox as a doctor and infection off. I don't even need to disinfect wounds, only wrap in ripped sheets at level 3 first aid. The wounds heal quickly and I'm not getting sick. Idk, maybe you guys already aware of what I'm describing.

The problem with judging a "problem" within PZ is knowing the full scope of what you are trying to address. I can easily put forth the argument that I think on most challenges, the character needs to consume WAY more food than what you would normally consume.  Or drink more water than what an average person can get by on before dehydration sets in. In the real world dying from not drinking water can take quite a while, of course dependent upon how active you are. When it comes to PZ it seems some wounds heal faster than it takes to find a bag of chips to eat. I have even calculated the walking speed to be less than 1 mile per hour which is totally unrealistic. I assumed the size of the character to be two tiles high, if you were to lay the character out horizontally and assume two tiles is around 6 feet. The distance the character walks in 10 minutes is only about 20 tiles on average. Which is incredibly slow realistically. I can understand that its a game and the world can only be so big before problems arise. Trying to keep all the proportions of whats real to life in a game is not always easy nor enjoyable. I think if you were to put in real life healing in the game it would take months to heal lacerations, and the impact those wounds would have would render the character unable to do most things. 

3 minutes ago, Krumple said:

The problem with judging a "problem" within PZ is knowing the full scope of what you are trying to address. I can easily put forth the argument that I think on most challenges, the character needs to consume WAY more food than what you would normally consume.  Or drink more water than what an average person can get by on before dehydration sets in. In the real world dying from not drinking water can take quite a while, of course dependent upon how active you are. When it comes to PZ it seems some wounds heal faster than it takes to find a bag of chips to eat. I have even calculated the walking speed to be less than 1 mile per hour which is totally unrealistic. I assumed the size of the character to be two tiles high, if you were to lay the character out horizontally and assume two tiles is around 6 feet. The distance the character walks in 10 minutes is only about 20 tiles on average. Which is incredibly slow realistically. I can understand that its a game and the world can only be so big before problems arise. Trying to keep all the proportions of whats real to life in a game is not always easy nor enjoyable. I think if you were to put in real life healing in the game it would take months to heal lacerations, and the impact those wounds would have would render the character unable to do most things. 

I'm not pushing for more realism, per say, I'm pushing for balance on first aid. Sure, you can show how -even on the most earnest attempts at realism-unrealistic this will always be-for the sake of fun game-play. What I was originally saying, it's not that fun to start a new game and basically disregard the entire wound system because level 3 first aid is just too good. 
The health system could use some deepening, as well. You're right in warning that attempts at perfect realism is not practical for a fun game, but there is definitely a balance that can be had between the two, even with some deepening of the system, as a whole.

Archived