I noticed something odd about Back holstering firearms

BodaciousMan

So I'm loving the new hotbar system as well as how we can see our weapons holstered on our characters! It's amazing. However, I noticed that when I holster my shotgun( idk if its the same with rifles, but Im sure it is,) the gun is actually strapped upside down. Now I understand everyone carrys differently, and that's okay. Whenever I carry my shotgun with my pack irl (I hike a lot and i usually carry a shotgun with me due to bear being prevalent in my area), I actually carry it stock facing down on a sling over my shoulder. This is because it's more efficient (for me) to draw while carrying it that way. I'd like to attach a video to show you all, I'll leave a link at the bottom. The video isn't of me, its of a guy who's trap shooting and he draws his weapon just as I do. I guess what I'm getting at is I've never seen someone carry a long arm like that, nor have I seen anyone draw a long arm over the shoulder like in the game. Maybe I don't know enough people, idk. I'm honestly not sure how someone could carry or draw like the style in the game. I know I'm being a bit nit-picky but it's just an observation. 

Video here: 

Probably just the animators being frugal with the anim complexity. Thing about long arms and tools on your back like that is it usually requires a sling that we don't actually see in game, the items just "stick" to our backs. If we actually had a sling visible they'd have to make a more complex animation, using both hands to thread one arm through and secure it over one shoulder. While this probably isn't very difficult for them to crank out, but it will look weird with an invisible sling, particularly since most of the things we can put on our back aren't normally associated with one, unless they also make it so any item you equip on your back automatically has a makeshift sling added to it, maybe requiring a sheet rope? This would be separate to/replaced by the sling gun attachment that provides weapon buffs.

1 hour ago, Loskene said:

Probably just the animators being frugal with the anim complexity. Thing about long arms and tools on your back like that is it usually requires a sling that we don't actually see in game, the items just "stick" to our backs. If we actually had a sling visible they'd have to make a more complex animation, using both hands to thread one arm through and secure it over one shoulder. While this probably isn't very difficult for them to crank out, but it will look weird with an invisible sling, particularly since most of the things we can put on our back aren't normally associated with one, unless they also make it so any item you equip on your back automatically has a makeshift sling added to it, maybe requiring a sheet rope? This would be separate to/replaced by the sling gun attachment that provides weapon buffs.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair. I thought about that myself, I just don't think I know enough about coding and animation to really understand how much work goes into it.  I would love to see a new animation for it though, even if it's just a mod. 

Yeah, I'm enjoying the new animations a lot so I hope to see more varied and complex ones in the future as they do further art and QOL passes. Did they mention at some point they were working on finally letting us sit down on chairs? That'd be nice. More contextual ones too if they go that route, like if you sit on a couch while reading a long book, the character might swing their feet up on the unoccupied side after being idle a while. Everyone loves idle animations, the more the merrier. And yes another player should be able to sit on your legs as a not-so-passive-aggressive gesture when you're hogging the couch.

Archived