Zombies dropping room specific loot

Erasmus Crowley

This was brought to my attention via a Reddit thread, but I hadn't heard of it before. I didn't believe it at first, but after some testing, I can confirm it happens.

The issue happens when you lure a zombie into some specific types of rooms and kill them. When you check the bodies, they will have items on them that should normally spawn in containers in those rooms. The one that I was able to verify with was the small grocery store located at https://map.projectzomboid.com/#10844x9541

I managed to lure over a dozen or so zombies from the surrounding area into that store and kill them one by one. About 30% to 50% of the time, they had dry goods on their corpses such as canned food, peanut butter, oats, etc. Supposedly, this also works to create other "limited" resource items in other room specific item types, such as soap from bathrooms, books from bookstores, etc.

I looked into the java and lua a bit and I wasn't able to find any signs of this being intentional, so I suspect it might be a weird interaction between the corpse creation and the code that fills the containers in the rooms, though I definitely could have missed something there.

1 hour ago, throttlekitty said:

This has been the case for a while, not 100% on cars, but you can get house keys by doing this.

Opposite is also true.... If the zombie with the house key is killed outside, the key will not be for the building they spawned in...