House Addresses - Street Names and Numbers

ohgodspidersno

9 hours ago, ohgodspidersno said:

The easiest way would just be to put the numbers and streetnames on the in-game maps. It would only take editing like five image files.

It sounds easy - but when you change the map by adding new structures many things suddenly changes - when it comes to numbers.
Street names of course will be less affected by future changes.

Instead what might be more useful is if maps have a Grid System drawn on the map. So you can say I am in Area  B6

Edited by ZombieHunter

51 minutes ago, ohgodspidersno said:

New structures get added to streets all the time in real life, and if you added a building you'd have to change the map images anyway, though, right?

Grid is still a fantastic idea, though.

Actually Real life ironically is the best example of why it doesn't work.

When a large property is split - many times to save time from redoing the entire map they add letters.

So you get things like 2407b  and 2407c 

The problem is there is no "logical" order on naming convention at that point as it could be infront, behind, or even on the other side of the street in cases where a new road goes through the property. 

Sure, but there aren't as many ramifications for that here. I guess it might make the occasional archived forum discussion obsolete, but it's not as though we need to worry about mail not getting delivered.

If I were to add this as a workshop mod I would just make the numbers increase by tens or hundreds, allowing you to subdivide them easily in the future.