"Cruise mode" for cars

Nerezza

First this isn't a "cruise control" function for the cars, the Discord came up with the name "Cruise Mode" for this suggestion 😜

This suggestion is simple: While driving, holding shift would have your character limit the throttle so that engine RPM will stay in the quieter levels, somewhere between 1k-2.5k RPM with around 2K being ideal. The speed you'll end up going will be determined by what gear the car's in when you begin holding down shift.

This accomplishes two things: You can cruise quietly when you don't want zombies to notice you as easily, and you can easily limit your speed if you're on a stretch of road you feel is too dangerous to drive fast on.

2 hours ago, TurklerRS said:

to add onto above, why not just give us manual gearing? the current car system sucks, both from a reality standpoint and a gameplay standpoint

How are you going to up-shift, down-shift, and clutch on a joypad?  Even the keyboard is packed at this point.

What would it add vs. just having cruise control (maintaining speed based on w/s presses), beyond pleasing the half-dozen people in 2  years that seem to think it'd add "realism?" 

PZ's not Gran Turismo, but isometric. Even CDDA doesn't bother with that.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

How are you going to up-shift, down-shift, and clutch on a joypad?  Even the keyboard is packed at this point.

What would it add vs. just having cruise control (maintaining speed based on w/s presses), beyond pleasing the half-dozen people in 2  years that seem to think it'd add "realism?" 

PZ's not Gran Turismo, but isometric. Even CDDA doesn't bother with that.

moderator, you know very well I didn't mean a full manual gearbox, I said manual gearing

right, boot the game up and get into a car, then accelerate, and then stop accelerating. you'll notice that as the car rolls, the guy, for some reason, immediately shifts to neutral, this both causes so the engine noise just randomly cuts out so it just sounds worse then the car sounds already are (westpoint to rosewood on a van is pure pain tbh) and it just isn't how people drive

not to mention, at high speeds, your car has almost no grip, which is good, until you use the handbrake. you can take those 90 degree excuse of a road highways going a solid 90 if you know exactly where it is and you have a macro set up so you press the handbrake for just the right amount, takes a lot to get right but hey, realism, right?

as always, ok moderator

Edited by TurklerRS
edit

58 minutes ago, TurklerRS said:

you know very well I didn't mean a full manual gearbox, I said manual gearing

right, boot the game up and get into a car, then accelerate, and then stop accelerating. you'll notice that as the car rolls, the guy, for some reason, immediately shifts to neutral, this both causes so the engine noise just randomly cuts out so it just sounds worse then the car sounds already are (westpoint to rosewood on a van is pure pain tbh) and it just isn't how people drive

not to mention, at high speeds, your car has almost no grip, which is good, until you use the handbrake. you can take those 90 degree excuse of a road highways going a solid 90 if you know exactly where it is and you have a macro set up so you press the handbrake for just the right amount, takes a lot to get right but hey, realism, right?

How could I know that? Most people that asked in the past seemed to want the whole shebang, otherwise what's the point beyond maintaining engine RPM?

You can maintain the RPM by pressing W/S. if cruise control were added, you would only have to do it once or twice. Feels like it's pretty much the same thing.

Unsure what you mean about the handbreak turn. Not as though hairpin turns don't exist in reality or how manual gearing would make that more realistic. Are you asking that we make it even easier to slam into the trees or harder for the sake of realism?

It would be pretty sweet to have a "hardcore" car setting where you have to hit the clutch and shift gears manually, similar to the hardcore reloading setting that requires you to manually reload magazines and rack the gun.

However, my guess is that this would require a huge code overhaul. Right now the dash probably just displays a different gear number and plays a different engine sound depending on what speed you're going, but your speed is just calculated exactly like your character's movement but with different acceleration/max speed settings.

Adding manual transmissions would be rebuilding that basically from scratch.

I  imagine adding the ability to set your max speed with a keypress would be comparatively simple. That seems like a good compromise and one that could be implemented sooner.

Edited by ohgodspidersno
I forgot they're called magazines not clips

1 hour ago, Livio Persemprio said:

so if i'm driving slowly i make less noise?

Yes, and with cruise mode the player would be less prone to nasty cramps while hitting "w" all the time.😉

Edited by ganya

8 minutes ago, Blake81 said:

Honestly, no need to make the Cruise Control that realistic; just a button that we toggle that keeps the car at the speed it was when we pushed it.

Yep, just to clarify everyone: it worked this way before. First 2-3 months of the car build (not sure if -all- of that was public) was all cruise, all the time.

Press W == increment speed up; press S increment speed down. Very simple, like you'd expect a throttle on a car to be, really.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Yep, just to clarify everyone: it worked this way before. First 2-3 months of the car build (not sure if -all- of that was public) was all cruise, all the time.

Press W == increment speed up; press S increment speed down. Very simple, like you'd expect a throttle on a car to be, really.

Exactly! I don't know why you guys scrapped that style when it was so good compared to the "keep spamming W like an attention-starved grandma spamming F5 on her new FB Post" style we have now...