New hotbar system not functioning?

BodaciousMan

Hello,

so after some digging i found out reason why some people cannot "Wear Belt" in 41.18 (including me).

the reason for that is that standard belt item is still coded as normal not wearable item:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

item Belt
    {
        Weight    =    0.3,
        Type    =    Normal,
        DisplayName    =    Belt,
        Icon    =    Belt,
    }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Location of file with code:

.Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\scripts\items.txt)

However there is new item called "Belt2" which has desired functionality:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

item Belt2
    {
        Weight    =    0.3,
        Type    =    Clothing,
        DisplayName    =    Belt,
        Icon    =    Belt,
        BodyLocation = Belt,
        ClothingItem = Belt,
        AttachmentsProvided = SmallBeltRight;SmallBeltLeft,
    }

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\scripts\clothing\clothing_others.txt

Below there is dirty trick to add this to game - but make sure you understand what you are doing as replacing source code is highly not recommended.

There is a way to temporarily fix it until Devs (god bless you guys for all the hard work you have done with this game btw.) however it is a bit risky and for current saves (if you are like me and do not want to loose character) there need to be additional step.

1.st of all backup files "items.txt" "clothing_others.txt"

2. replace code in items folder copying all code from "belt2" and replace code in "Belt" - THIS WILL REMOVE ALL BELTS FROM EXISTING SAVE GAME - so if you want to do it on some save you need to add recipe to "make Belt" from something, like this:  

recipe Belt
    {
        Newspaper,
        Result:Belt,
        Time:80.0,
        Category:Survivalist,
    }

In this case from newspaper.

this code needs to be added to 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\scripts\recipes.txt  (backup this file first too)

When you make new belt it will have all functionality of standard belts with 2 slots in hotbar.

Hope it helps

16 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Changing item type will brick any save that had the original Belt because it no longer matches the length of the item in bytes in the save file, instead of Belt2.

This is why the original is still there.

Make perfect sense. 

I started new game with new animation system quiet alot ( well i die a lot since new animation system ;) ) and for some reason my game was still picking up "old belt" functionality. I didn't try to fully reinstall game ( clean install) -maybe this will fix it as well. Is this change make more damage apart of removing all belts from save game ( this what i noticed) ? Like make some items depended on belt not available or will crash the game?