Nerf "natural" food sources in Apocalypse?

crossed

First of all I'm mostly just interested in what others think about this, not trying to ruin anyone's fun :v

lemmy101 said apocalypse is supposed to be a mode where players are not expected to last long, and surviving for an extended amount of time should be something worthy of bragging about. (or something along those lines :x) And while it's really hard now to survive the first couple weeks until you set up a base and start farming, after that the difficulty is mostly gone, same as before. Or you can move to a remote location from the start, live on berries and play mostly without zombies..

Making farming/foraging/fishing/trapping a (much) less abundant source of food and having to scavenge would force the player to actually work for survial until the very end and it would (potentially) make the difficulty ramp up over time instead of disappearing..

Again, I can setup challenges for myself, but I'd enjoy a real "how long can you survive" mode, but if apocalypse is suppose to be that it could use some tweaking imo.

7 minutes ago, NagashUD said:

In sandbox you can turn the loot in very rare, as well configure farming and such

Yeah, I tried it yesterday, there's no 'apocalypse' preset yet to tweak (don't know if it's the same as survival from build 40), but I'll most likely just do that :)

Farming should probably change to add it's own challanges.

But not so much that it feels terrible.

Maybe along the lines of - takes 1 season to grow plants ( 3 months ) 

but you only need to water plants once a week.

As well as certain plants can't grow in certain seasons.

These changes would;

1. Reduce maintenance 

2. Reduce amount of food gained

3. Force player to find alternative food sources 

4. Would require larger amounts of stored water before they can grow reliable farms

Seasonal crops would indeed be nice, have certain crops only be able to grow in their assigned seasons while quickly withering in the off seasons.
Lowering seed gathering for "Seed-Bearing Crops" to just 2 and lowering the window to harvest them may help as well.

Another thing could be the addition of Berry Bushes. While you could still forage for berries, perhaps they will be less likely to be fresh as you're finding them on the ground, as opposed to a bush where they will remain fresh for a greater amount of time, having fruiting bushes occur at certain intervals in the appropriate seasons.

Edited by Okamikurainya

I think discussing difficulty drops that happen when you eventually set up farms and rain collectors is a moot point at the moment. To my understanding, eventually the zombies are supposed to receive proper horde AI and your base will periodically have to deal with huge swarms of thousands of zombies moving through the area, possibly forcing you to have to vacate it unless you can be quiet enough to not be seen or heard. So long-term survival becomes something of a gamble and the game's 'director' will keep things fresh and exciting. Also: NPCs. 

Since at the moment you can just clear the zombies around some house at the edge of a town (we all have a few 'safespot locations' we've memorized) and then basically live there indefinitely by making a roof farm and importing the furniture you need, the only difficulty comes from whether or not you can find enough seed packets and fuel to keep your numerous freezers running. But that's not going to last forever. Personally I think the farms work just fine, as does foraging. If you want more difficulty at the moment, you're going to have to play differently.