Accessibility suggestions

Tezzle

I'm a physically disabled gamer, I'm stuck in bed 24/7. With my disability, I have serious difficulties with playing some of the games because my weak muscles prevent me from pressing any buttons on the keyboard, I do everything using a laptop touchpad and an on-screen keyboard, as well as other accessibility devices and programs, as you can probably guess, playing most games in my situation is quite difficult(Although not impossible if it's got the right options). I'm quite enjoying PZ, but it's very difficult to play in my situation. There's two things that I'd love to see, that would make my gameplay much easier: a toggle aim function(Holding a button for sneaking is quite difficult!) And possibly better implemented click to move(Walk to) feature..I know most people don't care, but do you think that there's a chance for these to ever be added?

And I know this is the wrong category, but I can't seem to post on the suggestions category.

Hey, great to hear that you are enjoying Project Zomboid!

One idea for the 'Walk to' feature could be having an option so you could rebind it from the current right click menu to something else. I'm not sure if it is mappped as separate action or how the game handles it but having easier way to use the move click would also help whilst building roofs!

Having an option for toggling the sneak/aim mode is good idea also. I could see myself using it aswell!

As for posting in suggestion category, I think that it has something to do with new accounts on the forum.

1 minute ago, Tonzint said:

Hey, great to hear that you are enjoying Project Zomboid!

One idea for the 'Walk to' feature could be having an option so you could rebind it from the current right click menu to something else. I'm not sure if it is mappped as separate action or how the game handles it but having easier way to use the move click would also help whilst building roofs!

Having an option for toggling the sneak/aim mode is good idea also. I could see myself using it aswell!

As for posting in suggestion category, I think that it has something to do with new accounts on the forum.

Best way I'd say would be to give an option to make left click move the character, like in classic RPG games(At least when in non aim mode). And toggle aim is something probably a few people would use!

And I assumed my account is too new, but I thought I'll try posting here.

There are a few toggles for sneak .etc. on the animations build, under Disability Settings, iirc. There's also a mod that "sort of" adds mouse movement by triggering walk-to on mouse click that might help. Then there's always third-party programs, like AutoHotKey (difficult to set up, but very powerful).

We'll certainly look at adding more disability supports to the game as development continues, but it's not as easy as it sounds. PZ's weird mix of Lua and Java makes even making the mouse buttons rebind-able a considerable amount of work, at this point. It'll be fixed, but probably not until we have some time post-animations.

16 hours ago, MrBlue said:

Yep, just a click would be nice. Maybe some sort of impact effect to highlight the tile you've selected to go to. In terms of general accessibility outside of the specific context of this suggestion, a toggle button for walking in the direction you're looking, like there is in Skyrim, would be nice. Just give it a tap and you will walk wherever you're looking and tap again to stop it. I think its in DayZ too. For games where you walk very long distances in the game world this is helpful, as its annoying to hold your finger down on a button for that long.

@TezzleOn the upside I think the crouch of the new build is already a toggle. But you'd still have trouble aiming with guns I'd imagine. 

Really hope the developers are able to do something on this side of things. Would love for more people to be able to play Zomboid, and who knows, maybe if there's ever a mobile port we'll have a good control scheme to start off with. :)

Toggle movement like Skyrim is actually a good idea! And I haven't tried the new build yet, planning to tonight.

16 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

There are a few toggles for sneak .etc. on the animations build, under Disability Settings, iirc. There's also a mod that "sort of" adds mouse movement by triggering walk-to on mouse click that might help. Then there's always third-party programs, like AutoHotKey (difficult to set up, but very powerful).

We'll certainly look at adding more disability supports to the game as development continues, but it's not as easy as it sounds. PZ's weird mix of Lua and Java makes even making the mouse buttons rebind-able a considerable amount of work, at this point. It'll be fixed, but probably not until we have some time post-animations.

I certainly understand that it's not easy, and I don't expect anything to be done right away, I'm just hoping for these things eventually.

Back when I purchased the game, I was using this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=600699360&searchtext=click  but it wasn't updated in years. And I'm not sure if it wouldn't break the game.

Archived