One question about cooking and one about locations

Morrn40

How do you cook something? Ive stood next to turned on stoves and clicked on them but nothing in the menu. Ive clicked on food in menu when near stoves and nope. Even when I open cooking craft menu nope. What I am missing?

Second, is does the map stay the same? Like if I find a medical building on, I dont know lets say Westpoint map, will that building always be in the same spot on that map everytime I re-start a new game? Or is it all random?

The map stays the same, with two small exceptions.

Loot is always randomized, but is generally logical depending on the type of container and the building.

Depending on a sandbox setting, some buildings can randomly be selected to be partially or almost entirely destroyed by fire, or be barricaded and maybe have a little different loot than normal.

There are, to my knowledge, 5 towns of varying size scattered around the map. Muldragh, West Point, Dixie, Rosewood, and Riverside. There may be some smaller ones that I'm not aware there is a name for, but the map is huge. Get yourself a nice car and drive safely. :)

As far as cooking, I usually just get lazy and make a soup or stew and haven't done much else in a good while, so I can only accurately help you with that. 

1. Get a cooking pot

2. Fill cooking pot with water

3. Add ingredients by right-clicking the pot and having them either in your inventory or in a container very near by. You can also add seasoning like salt and pepper, if you have some. 

4. Put pot into an oven. Turn oven on. A green bar will show on the tooltip for the cooking process. Once it's fills it will turn red to indicate it's going to burn soon. Turn off the oven and remove the pot.

5. Chug it all on the spot or use bowls to make smaller meals, or just choose to only eat a portion directly from the pot by right clicking.

Make sure you turn off the oven or it will probably start a fire.

42 minutes ago, Morrn40 said:

How do you cook something? Ive stood next to turned on stoves and clicked on them but nothing in the menu. Ive clicked on food in menu when near stoves and nope. Even when I open cooking craft menu nope. What I am missing?

Second, is does the map stay the same? Like if I find a medical building on, I dont know lets say Westpoint map, will that building always be in the same spot on that map everytime I re-start a new game? Or is it all random?

The game wants to be "realistic"

So once you put something in the microwave \ stove \ oven. You need to set the heat \ power and timer.

Most things cook in 20 - 30 mins ( game time ) 

As mentioned above keep an eye on the color of the text 

Blue = Frozen

White = Warm

Red = Heated

Also cooking most things in the microwave provides less happiness than if cooking in oven and stove. 

Best options to cook is the Old Stove you find in Shacks.

It provides heat + light + and can cook. 

Yea the problem Im trying to solve, is crafting. I seem to die WAY before I ever find any tools to craft with. Hammers, saw, ect. Crafting so far has mostly been an unused feature for me lol. Hell, I see video's where people have cool weapons and even armor of sorts. Im trying be able to use crafting, and I need to learn how I can find the tools needed. I usually am only around houses which dont seem to offer much in the way of those.

2 hours ago, Morrn40 said:

Yea the problem Im trying to solve, is crafting. I seem to die WAY before I ever find any tools to craft with. Hammers, saw, ect. Crafting so far has mostly been an unused feature for me lol. Hell, I see video's where people have cool weapons and even armor of sorts. Im trying be able to use crafting, and I need to learn how I can find the tools needed. I usually am only around houses which dont seem to offer much in the way of those.

It's mostly about remembering map locations for potential looting of the items you need. The remainder is recognising a building/interiors or a container-type for what it might offer you.

So for your example, hammers and saws can be reliably found in Hardware stores and warehouses. You might also find them in other store types or in backyard sheds etc, where the container is designated as including those. You tend to remember those occasions and you get better at sourcing stuff you need with time spent playing and exploring.

Houses are good for general supplies and depending on the house you might find some containers that are not common which can be a bonus. There are also "survivor houses" randomly chosen on your map save. These might have obvious building modifications like boarded windows/doors, or you might find a common theme of special loot in them like engineer/carpenter etc. If you ever loot an "annotated map" make sure you read it to see marked locations for houses like these too.

2 hours ago, Morrn40 said:

Loot is based on your location

Wood Cutting Tools = Found in Shacks in backyard \ Logging Building \ Warhouses

Nails \ Paint \ Etc = Shacks \ Warehouses

Guns = Closets \ Drawers \ Police Station

Jackets = Closets \ Clothing Stores

Cooking Utensils = Kitchen

Archived