Character save BUILD 41

Axezombie

Hi,

I have a question regarding how characters are saved now, before build 41 we had a map_p.bin file for a character made in a game, this file is missing now so I was wondering how you save characters now and how we could back them up like before?

Thanks

You are not supposed to backup your save, it defeats the purpose of the game. You might aswell put godmode on. I think its good that we can't find our save location now, also I would like if the save automaticly deleted itself upon dying!

19 minutes ago, SonnyJim said:

I'd be interested to see an answer to this also, was just backing up my IWBUMS progress.

I  hate to ask, but why?

IWBUMS means more-so backing up your saves before you switch to the beta build. The beta itself is unstable and shouldn't be used for long-term play.

Otherwise, you'd probably have to backup the vehicles.db, which could lead to some interesting results. It contains both the player and vehicle data. the map_p.bin really is just kind of tucked away in the Data column inside it, though I'm not sure how / if it'd be easy to extract.

12 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I  hate to ask, but why?

IMHO, Sometimes, I like having a "pre-equipped" survivor in store for when I wanna test something quickly and don't wanna go thru the skill-leveling procedure. It's particularly useful for bug hunting.

Anyway, on this new version, just move the "vehicles" file around like EnigmaGrey said. As far as I can tell, it didn't really cause anything bad with the cars; as the only cars that get moved are those you used, or those in places you've already visited, this also seems to include car wrecks, but I'm not 100% sure of that one yet.

That said, I do wonder if this integration of map_p with the vehicles file could be part of the reason of the dreaded "No Save" problem....

7 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I  hate to ask, but why?

IWBUMS means more-so backing up your saves before you switch to the beta build. The beta itself is unstable and shouldn't be used for long-term play.

Otherwise, you'd probably have to backup the vehicles.db, which could lead to some interesting results. It contains both the player and vehicle data. the map_p.bin really is just kind of tucked away in the Data column inside it, though I'm not sure how / if it'd be easy to extract.

Thanks for replying.

tbo, I actually didn't backup my saves before this beta so I was just attempting it now. Perhaps I imagined I wouldn't be going back to my stable saves this time, since you'll admit - the animation update is a significant change. Us players are a patient lot for the most part but when you give us an update like this, beta or not, you can't blame us for not wanting to go back! ;-)

I'm sensing it's a difficult question right now and you have your reasons so, nevermind. But please remember that being able to restore from backups is often far more useful when testing the game as a player because we can retain the character status effects and progress. For some of us that is better than using cheat mod which is a crude tool and also unforgiving when you accidentally click "max all stats" and similar scripts - you can't undo those.

18 minutes ago, SonnyJim said:

I'm sensing it's a difficult question right now and you have your reasons so, nevermind. But please remember that being able to restore from backups is often far more useful when testing the game as a player because we can retain the character status effects and progress. For some of us that is better than using cheat mod which is a crude tool and also unforgiving when you accidentally click "max all stats" and similar scripts - you can't undo those.

Just wanted to make sure that you didn't feel it was stable. There've been a few experiences like that over the past week. They're awkward conversations, to say the least.

Backing up the vehicles.db should be all you need. I just worry it'll only be suitable if its used in the same save folder because car positions will correspond to locations on the map.

I'd rather they be separated into separate DBs, but for now this is the way it is.

Thanks everyone for replying.

8 hours ago, Josko said:

You are not supposed to backup your save, it defeats the purpose of the game. You might aswell put godmode on. I think its good that we can't find our save location now, also I would like if the save automaticly deleted itself upon dying!

Because IWBUMS means I'll back up my save and that's what I'm trying to do

12 hours ago, Josko said:

And why exactly, do you care how someone enjoys the game? It bothers you that bad that somewhere out there, someone is enjoying the game by having "godmode" on or is defeating the purpose of your defined "purpose of the game"? Ultimately, the purpose of any game is to have fun playing it, and if someone is having fun playing it in a different way than you, without negatively affecting your game play, then they ARE achieving the purpose of the game. I've always found it so weird that there are people that get bothered that someone might be "cheating" in a single player game. I could understand in multiplayer but otherwise, I just dont get it.

4 hours ago, Morrn40 said:

And why exactly, do you care how someone enjoys the game? It bothers you that bad that somewhere out there, someone is enjoying the game by having "godmode" on or is defeating the purpose of your defined "purpose of the game"? Ultimately, the purpose of any game is to have fun playing it, and if someone is having fun playing it in a different way than you, without negatively affecting your game play, then they ARE achieving the purpose of the game. I've always found it so weird that there are people that get bothered that someone might be "cheating" in a single player game. I could understand in multiplayer but otherwise, I just dont get it.

I dont care, Im just sayin'.

You are ruining your game experience if you reload a save every time you die, at that point zombies are no threat because hey I can just reload my backup save!

15 hours ago, Josko said:

I dont care, Im just sayin'.

You are ruining your game experience if you reload a save every time you die, at that point zombies are no threat because hey I can just reload my backup save!

Point is that it serves no purpose in this thread.

He's not asking with the purpose of ruining his experience. He's asking because we ask people to do this for IWBUMS.

4 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Point is that it serves no purpose in this thread.

He's not asking with the purpose of ruining his experience. He's asking because we ask people to do this for IWBUMS.

Alright fair enough :)

Archived