Immediate crash on startup

FreakRoHawke

Question

I've wanted to try the new build but the game crashes as soon as I click the run button. 

Here's the log:

console.txt

My specs are:
Specs.PNG.379147a9cf46dfdb11a894610f4974e2.PNG

So far I've tried:
-running the game in compatibility mode
-turning off 2xtextures in config file
-turning on borderless in config file
-turning on texture compresion in config file
-updating the graphics drivers
-reinstalling the game completely
-deleting %user%/zomboid folder
-disabling steam overlay
-verifying the files via steam
-running 32 bit version
-running 64 bit version
-running both of above in admin mode

-updating the c++ thing
-praying to god
-eating pizza right before I launch the game

didn't succeed and there might be couple of things I did and forgot about but I really tried everything I found that could fix crash on startup :D So you folks are my last hope. Thanks for the answers in advance.

13 answers to this question

4 hours ago, FreakRoHawke said:

Well... Sadly it didn't help. Turned off pc to run it with no monitor plugged in, then plugged in just one and tried to run the game. Same error. I will unfortunately have to go to sleep now but any suggestion you guys leave, I will get into it tomorrow. 

Nothing I can think of. It might be something we'll have to change on our end. 

6 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Nothing I can think of. It might be something we'll have to change on our end. 

I see. I read the blog from yesterday talking about issues on low end PC. I'll be happy to finally playtest the beta build today on my laptop since it seems to run there and if you need any further help figuring this problem out hit me up on discord (Same name as here in the discord server)

On 10/24/2019 at 10:59 AM, Beard said:

There was a patch released yesterday that looked into some of the crash issues that people were having, did it fix your problem or does it still happen?

Sorry for late reply, I've thought nobody is going to answer, only now looking it up. I will try it once I get home from work today :) But it at least seems to be working on my laptop right now (Where there was different issue, game crashing after character select but I didn't look into that all that much, it's fixed now though) 

So yeah, I'll update you once I get home

Thank ya !

6 hours ago, FreakRoHawke said:

Sorry for late reply, I've thought nobody is going to answer, only now looking it up. I will try it once I get home from work today :) But it at least seems to be working on my laptop right now (Where there was different issue, game crashing after character select but I didn't look into that all that much, it's fixed now though) 

So yeah, I'll update you once I get home

Thank ya !

So I just got home, still the same error. :(

3 hours ago, FreakRoHawke said:

So I just got home, still the same error. :(

Can you go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and upload the "Logs" folder from there? Its a new addition to the latest updates and should contain a lot of information that could help us figure out why its crashing.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If you have a high refresh rate monitor or screen, try setting it to 60 Hz in Display Settings.

if that doesn't work, go to %UserProfile%\Zomboid\options.ini and set v-sync to false.

So I messed around a bit, no success unfortunately

-set both monitors to 60hz
-unplug monitors to test out if one of them is causing an issue (Probably dumb but did it anyways)
-vsync was already false, set it to true, then back, tried for most of the settings, tried lower resolutions

nothing

I would love to help you solve this strange crash, but ran out of ideas for now once again. I will try to mess around some more for a bit and let you know if I bump into something that at least changes the error but I'm not too hopeful.

Just googling it a bit, it sounds like the problem is having multiple monitors hooked up. Game tries to pick a workable resolution, hz, and bitdepth and lands on the wrong setting.  So no, not dumb at all to unplug 'em.

Not sure if it'll do anything, but try having only one monitor plugged in (or if it's a laptop, none at all) then restart it and try launching the game. Never know, might be all it takes to clear out whatever the game's reading from your driver.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Just googling it a bit, it sounds like the problem is having multiple monitors hooked up. Game tries to pick a workable resolution, hz, and bitdepth and lands on the wrong setting.  So no, not dumb at all to unplug 'em.

Not sure if it'll do anything, but try having only one monitor plugged in (or if it's a laptop, none at all) then restart it and try launching the game. Never know, might be all it takes to clear out whatever the game's reading from your driver.

I actually stumbled upon something interesting. It also happens on stable build (Shoudl've tried it sooner but better later than never) error attached since it looks a bit different and nothing comes after it like on the beta branch, just crashes and console stops. 

error.PNG

I will proceed to try what you suggested

9 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Yeah, it's going to happen in basically anything that uses LWJGL2, the library we use for OpenGL support and windowing. :P It's an interesting problem! 

Well... Sadly it didn't help. Turned off pc to run it with no monitor plugged in, then plugged in just one and tried to run the game. Same error. I will unfortunately have to go to sleep now but any suggestion you guys leave, I will get into it tomorrow. 

Archived