Build 41 Clothing Modding

SpaceTaco

Thought I would take a look at a simple clothing retexture mod. I can work out most everything but the last couple steps to keep it from being a hack job.

Only a few new steps here from a standard item mod.

Create the item definition: 
  <User Folder>\Zomboid\mods\<MyMod>\media\clothing\<MyMod>.txt
Create a texture image for the 3D character model: 
  <User Folder>\Zomboid\mods\<MyMod>\media\textures\Clothes\<subfolder>\<itemName>.png
Create an inventory icon 32x32: 
  <User Folder>\Zomboid\mods\<MyMod>\media\textures\Item_<itemName>.png
Create the model\texture\tint\GUID references: 
  <User Folder>\Zomboid\mods\<MyMod>\media\clothing\clothingItems\<itemName>.xml
Attach the item to some distribution (place it in the world), the new ProceduralDistributions have a bit less boilerplate than the old SuburbsDistributions.
  <User Folder>\Zomboid\mods\<MyMod>\media\lua\server\items\<MyMod>_distributions.lua

Finally, you need to have a GUID to clothing model reference placed in fileGuidTable.xml. I have found no way to inject this from a mod, I could 
only get it working by adding the reference directly to the game file:

<game install>\media\fileGuidTable.xml

Anyone know a way around this? Also, if I want the clothing item to be worn by zeds, I need to edit the game file:

<game install>\media\clothing\clothing.xml

I'd love to have a way to inject\replace XML in those files from the mod. That or some back door lua script way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also facing similar difficulties.

I'm trying to mod in new versions of existing clothes (bulletproof vests, backpack, etc), but I cannot get the 3d sprites to show up. Likewise, despite adding values to the items the character completely ignores these values (such as the invisible vest having 100 protection value, but the proctection tab showing 0%).

I am able to rexture and modify the existing default items just fine and that works, but rather than that, I would like to add these as new items. 

So, the problem(s)

• New items do not show on character when equipped (they can be looted and found, but no character model)
  • New items do not calculate their properties on the character (defense values, etc)
  • New items' inventory sprite spawns with random colors, despite setting random color / tint to false

The goal

• Use the existing default items and retexture them as new, separate items

I uploaded a .rar file of the mod as an attachment.

If anyone could take a look at the mod and tell me what I'm doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it!

NewArmyItems.rar

Edited by Memmorath
Clarifying text

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, Memmorath said:

I am also facing similar difficulties.

I'm trying to mod in new versions of existing clothes (bulletproof vests, backpack, etc), but I cannot get the 3d sprites to show up. Likewise, despite adding values to the items the character completely ignores these values (such as the invisible vest having 100 protection value, but the proctection tab showing 0%).

I am able to rexture and modify the existing default items just fine and that works, but rather than that, I would like to add these as new items. 

So, the problem(s)

• New items do not show on character when equipped (they can be looted and found, but no character model)
  • New items do not calculate their properties on the character (defense values, etc)
  • New items' inventory sprite spawns with random colors, despite setting random color / tint to false

The goal

• Use the existing default items and retexture them as new, separate items

I uploaded a .rar file of the mod as an attachment.

If anyone could take a look at the mod and tell me what I'm doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it!

NewArmyItems.rar 860.78 kB · 2 downloads

your problems will be fixed if you add the items GUID into the folder:  <game install>\media\fileGuidTable.xml. The 3d models will be show , item have stats , and icon color never change. if you put the fileguidtable.xml into: (user)\Zomboid\mods\(namemod)\media he didn't work, looks like a bug, i think this need reported to admin

im triying to add full clothes of Swat into a mod on steam but I have come across this issue. i keeping trying

• 2 weeks later...

If this turns out to be a bug I'm going to be a little miffed because we have been laboring under the assumption that adding new guid was something we just were not allowed to do for whatever reason.

OP, you can "steal" a GUID from another item if you want but this makes your mod likely to break saved games, and create extremely hard conflicts with other mods.

I think the ideal solution to your problem is to add extra alternate skins to existing items.

So like, make it so the police bullet proof vest has an alternate swat version. You do this by adding new<texturechoices> lines in the item's xml file.

Also, if you change an xml file you have to quit the game to desktop and reload. It's not enough to simply reload the Lua.

Edited by ohgodspidersno