Wood axe animations

muscamole

The new wood axe is great, the long and slow animations make it feel much more like an axe to me. However, you really need to be able to abort the animations somehow. Take the ground attack animation for example. Very powerful attack with a very long animation. Totally makes sense why it would take a long time to dig the axe out of the zombie you just stuck it in. But that long animation can get you killed if another zombie is nearby, in a way that isn't exactly realistic. In real life if your axe is stuck in something you can just let go of the handle and run, but in the game you're stuck digging out the axe if you've completed your swing. Also, if you've just initiated a swing and you haven't built up full momentum you would be able to stop yourself from carrying out the full swing, which is not possible in the game right now.

The axe is the only thing that comes to mind right now as far as aborting animations but I'm sure it would make sense for other weapons and animations too.

That's not the point, I understand what it is used for. I'm not asking them to change the animation, the slow animation is perfect and keeps the wood axe from becoming an overpowered and unrealistic crowd control weapon.

In real life if your axe gets stuck in something, you don't have to pull it out immediately, you can let go of the handle. Same with initiating a swing, if you start and decide you don't want to swing the axe, you simply don't swing the axe. There's a point where your momentum will carry your swing through but there are distinct periods at the beginning and end of the motion that you have a lot of control over.

But in the game once you initiate movement the entire animation plays. For the wood axe, part of that animation is recovering from the swing and pulling the axe out of the thing you put it into. It doesn't make sense that you can't simply let go of the axe at this point should you need to do that.

5 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The wood axe being so slow is an oversight, not a bug or something that requires unique animations. It should have been sped up months ago.

It certainly doesn't have to be as fast as the fire axe, but its current speed is just silly.

Oh I had no idea, it took some getting used to the first time I found one, but I actually kinda liked it once I adjusted to it. It made it feel very heavy, making it especially satisfying to take out those downed zombies.

I just think you should have the ability to drop it and run if you need to. I guess that would probably require a new animation but I think it would really improve the feel of combat, not just for the wood axe but for other weapons too, if you could have the ability to perform feint attacks or drop your weapon and abort the follow through animation part should the situation call for that.