Make the the "courage" mechanic into an actual skill/attribute

buwaro

Currently(in build 41) you panic a lot when you first spawn, and that gradually reduces as you survive(due to being acclimated to the existence zombies). this mechanic has no real indicators that it happens(besides less of a panic moodle). What i propose is that this get shifted into an attribute(like fitness or strengthen) maybe called courage or wits or some synonym of it.

character would start with a  default value of 5(like the other 2 attributes) with existing  and traits new affecting these values

Brave would be +2, 

Coward -2 

Paranoid(new, gives 4 trait points) 

Desensitised +5, (granted at start by veteran occupation rather than a selected trait like it currently is)

All phobia's -1(hemo, agora and claustro)

to make it easier all phobia's are mutually exclusive with each other and brave

At lvl 0 skill you always max panic at the sight of a zombie

Lvl 3 replaces Paranoid with Coward

lvl 5 removes coward, default char behaviour

lvl 7 gains brave

lvl 10 replaces brave with Desensitised (same as veteran, realistically not going to be maxed out in a normal game like fitness or strength), removes phobia's

Skill could either be gained by not panicking at the sight of zombies, and/or having panic return to 0

Could also be applied to NPC's once they are in game to determine their reaction to things and make them braver over time

no courage= always run from danger

low= only takes small risk fights/situations

moderate courage=sticks around if reasonable chance of success, retreats when wounded

High courage=riskier fights, fights on despite wounds unless severe

max courage=NEVER Surrender

player may be able to tell allies up to there courage level for how to react(so you don't have suicidal allies)

Pros

• You can now see your characters progress on this hidden mechanic
  • hemophobic now has a real drawback
  • slightly more interesting traits in character creation
  • can be applied to npc's

Cons

• figuring out balance
  • hemophobic may be seen as even more free trait points due it being removable
  • more work for the devs to do

Edited by buwaro

I like the idea, it makes sense that you'd become more desensitized over time. But I disagree with the proposed hemophobic/agoraphobic/claustrophobic changes, because those need to be situational and not just a generalized increased chance to panic.

In those situations, your level of panic would be calculated as if you have a lower courage skill than you actually do, but your base courage skill wouldn't actually change. If your courage is 10 you'd never panic, but if you're also hemophobic your chance to panic would be calculated as if you were an 8 or 9 but only in situations where you're bleeding. So a fully desensitized person would still have a chance to panic due to blood, but it becomes very low.

I also think the way to level it should just be kills. You kill 1000 zombies, you're probably gonna be desensitized. I mean thats kind of the underlying assumption of the "veteran" job and associated perk too, that this veteran has become desensitized through exposure to war and death.

1 hour ago, Neonwarrior said:

I thought this was already the case?

I think you misunderstand, yes the mechanic to not be scared of zombies after your character lives long enough, this is expanding it from a hidden mechanic(and arbitrary increase in it) to an actual stat that's dynamic

13 minutes ago, buwaro said:

I think you misunderstand, yes the mechanic to not be scared of zombies after your character lives long enough, this is expanding it from a hidden mechanic(and arbitrary increase in it) to an actual stat that's dynamic

Oh, I get it now. I wouldn't mind a 'Grit' stat or the like to accurately quantify your level of 'don't-give-a-fuck-itude'

8 hours ago, Lord_of_Cats said:

I really like this idea, however you don't want max courage survivors just acting plain suicidal.

Well i added in a clause so players could tell their allies to not be suicidal if they get one, ones with max would be far and few in between, as it should be about as hard to level as strength and fitness. and ofc it's not up for me to decide in the end, if the devs wanted to, the could make it so they still run if it's certain death

12 minutes ago, buwaro said:

Well i added in a clause so players could tell their allies to not be suicidal if they get one, ones with max would be far and few in between, as it should be about as hard to level as strength and fitness. and ofc it's not up for me to decide in the end, if the devs wanted to, the could make it so they still run if it's certain death

That's a good counter-balance if they're an ally, however I still think that's gonna get all of the good stat survivors killed off quick because they're so brave that they're just getting themselves killed before you can even meet them.