Possible fix to cheap bite kills

TenRado

So I've been playing this build for like a 2 days now, and I really like what you guys did with it.

One thing I've noticed though is that most of the times I've died is either from 3 or 4 zombies jumping on you in a house, from a bathroom or right up the stairs. You can't prepare for these attacks in any way, as most of the time the zombies are just chilling in their spots until player comes too close. In closed quarters this means a bite in most of the cases. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for dangerous zeds and don't even mind that they have faster bites and scratches. After all it's zombie apocalypse, and all those people wouldn't have died and turned if zombies weren't dangerous. The thing I don't like is that you can't check houses for zombies in any other way than looking through windows. And even then you'll see only one or 2 only to find 2 more charging at you from bathroom once you enter through window. Or you can press Q and draw the zombies from whole neighborhood your way, including those from the house. We got em, I guess? 

I think there should be some less noisy version of "Hey you!" command. Something that will attract only the zombies few tiles away from you. Kind of like when they knocked on building windows in The Walking Dead before they went in to see if there are any zombies in there. I think this would give players a new interesting way to clean houses instead of just charging inside head first and hoping there is no zed behind the corner that will finish your playthrough before you notice what happened.

Okay, so this is my 5 cents. Devs, I followed your message and got involved instead of mad. Maybe a little bit mad :D. Anyway keep up the good work, I can't wait until multiplayer drops for this!

1 hour ago, TenRado said:

Or you can press Q and draw the zombies from whole neighborhood your way, including those from the house. We got em, I guess? 

That works for you? For me shouting with Q does ansolutely nothing. The text still pops up with "Hey there!" etc, but it doesn't attract zombies at all. Not even from almost point blank.

16 minutes ago, Humbug said:

That works for you? For me shouting with Q does ansolutely nothing. The text still pops up with "Hey there!" etc, but it doesn't attract zombies at all. Not even from almost point blank.

Manually delete the game in %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\

Steam probably just fudged the update. The radius has been changed from 4 tiles to 30.

It's ... pretty hard to miss.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Manually delete the game in %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\

Steam probably just fudged the update. The radius has been changed from 4 tiles to 30.

It's ... pretty hard to miss.

Okay, I've tried shouting closer than 4 tiles and it still didn't make the zombie react. But I'll try reinstalling then I guess.

3 hours ago, TenRado said:

I think there should be some less noisy version of "Hey you!" command. Something that will attract only the zombies few tiles away from you. Kind of like when they knocked on building windows in The Walking Dead before they went in to see if there are any zombies in there.

One option is to break windows, don't know exactly how loud the noise it makes but pretty sure less than "hey you" atm.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

The radius has been changed from 4 tiles to 30.

Uh, isn't that a bit of an overkill? Can't think of many situations where I want to bring down every zed in a 30 tiles radius on me while I'm on foot. ~10 to clear out an average house would be more useful imo.

All you have to do is lightly brush by a zombie and you'll somehow get bit. It's not even represented on the screen with an animation. I've gotten bit in the time it takes to turn around and run in the opposite direction of a zombie in front of me so many times now that I'm questioning if it's a bug. I can't really fathom a (dead) human being somehow landing a bite on a moving target without even needing to grab a hold of you first.

It should be that scratches and lacerations are the injuries you deal with unless you REALLY screw up and get caught completely off guard, or overpowered. A single zombie I try and run away from that somehow 'bites' me from thin air as I'm moving in the opposite direction? Come on, man.

8 hours ago, crossed said:

Uh, isn't that a bit of an overkill? Can't think of many situations where I want to bring down every zed in a 30 tiles radius on me while I'm on foot. ~10 to clear out an average house would be more useful imo.

I agree a more tuned down shout would be better.

If im in a house I would like to make some noise, to see if some zombies are still there and not alarm every zombie in the district.

Thats said the old shout should stay, too, because Its still usefull if you want to draw attention on you.

9 hours ago, Lornsteyn said:

I agree a more tuned down shout would be better.

If im in a house I would like to make some noise, to see if some zombies are still there and not alarm every zombie in the district.

Thats said the old shout should stay, too, because Its still usefull if you want to draw attention on you.

A guy I watch on YouTube bashes walls or a door in houses to make noise 

Archived