Repairing spears in build 41?

Humbug

Is it possible? It doesn't seem to be. Or at least the weapon you add on to the spear should be removable after it breaks. It seems really odd to me that you can put a 100% condition hunting knife to a stick with some duct tape and when the spear breaks (very quickly, I might add) the whole thing is ruined and you can't repair it or get your knife back. I wouldn't expect a flimsy spear to last very long, that much makes sense. But it makes 0 sense for the weapon you added to said flimsy spear to be unrecoverable. In another survival game I enjoy (Neo Scavenger) if you create a spear, it's the condition of the lowest health part that decides the condition of the spear itself, and when it does you get the parts back that didn't break (with lowered condition depending on use). I would like to see the same thing in PZ.

I personally don't think Spears should be repairable mostly because the thing that breaks most often is the shaft. 

You aren't using a real spear that uses metal braces to reinforce the shaft but a wooden pole. 

I think the Spear should have more durability but shouldn't be repaired.

2 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

I personally don't think Spears should be repairable mostly because the thing that breaks most often is the shaft. 

You aren't using a real spear that uses metal braces to reinforce the shaft but a wooden pole. 

I think the Spear should have more durability but shouldn't be repaired.

Not being able to repair it is fine for the reasons you give. But then you should be able to recover the weapon attached. It makes no sense for it not to be, unless for balancing reasons I guess. But the way it is set up right now makes it a big waste to ever make a spear out of a hunting knife when a screwdriver or kitchen knife works just as fine and are much less rare.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Not being able to repair it is fine for the reasons you give. But then you should be able to recover the weapon attached. It makes no sense for it not to be, unless for balancing reasons I guess. But the way it is set up right now makes it a big waste to ever make a spear out of a hunting knife when a screwdriver or kitchen knife works just as fine and are much less rare.

The machete spear is even worse, the machete by itself deals more damage and can be repaired. Make it into a spear, it does less damage and can't be repaired. The only thing currently is that the machete spear looks awesome but a total waste to use up a fine weapon to make a shit weapon. 

On 10/20/2019 at 3:19 PM, Humbug said:

Is it possible? It doesn't seem to be. Or at least the weapon you add on to the spear should be removable after it breaks. It seems really odd to me that you can put a 100% condition hunting knife to a stick with some duct tape and when the spear breaks (very quickly, I might add) the whole thing is ruined and you can't repair it or get your knife back. I wouldn't expect a flimsy spear to last very long, that much makes sense. But it makes 0 sense for the weapon you added to said flimsy spear to be unrecoverable. In another survival game I enjoy (Neo Scavenger) if you create a spear, it's the condition of the lowest health part that decides the condition of the spear itself, and when it does you get the parts back that didn't break (with lowered condition depending on use). I would like to see the same thing in PZ.

i personally think this is accurate. if you tape a knife to a wooden stick and stab a moving zombie the bit most likely to break is the tape. if this happens the knife will be in the zombie and you would be left with a stick.

22 hours ago, Humbug said:

But then you should be able to recover the weapon attached. It makes no sense for it not to be, unless for balancing reasons I guess. But the way it is set up right now makes it a big waste to ever make a spear out of a hunting knife when a screwdriver or kitchen knife works just as fine and are much less rare.

I don't know about "Recovering" the weapon - but what I feel like needs to happen is change crafting all together.
Essentially breaking down knives \ machettes to "blades" then attaching blades to spear shaft for  "bladed spear" 

That way when the spear is "broken" you can remove the shaft and "recover the blade"  but blade wouldn't be able to be used without a handle.  

14 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

I don't know about "Recovering" the weapon - but what I feel like needs to happen is change crafting all together.
Essentially breaking down knives \ machettes to "blades" then attaching blades to spear shaft for  "bladed spear" 

That way when the spear is "broken" you can remove the shaft and "recover the blade"  but blade wouldn't be able to be used without a handle.  

This sounds very C:DDA-like. It's just too bad we can't also use machining tools and forges and anvils to craft our own machetes and swords.... yet.

8 hours ago, Neonwarrior said:

This sounds very C:DDA-like. It's just too bad we can't also use machining tools and forges and anvils to craft our own machetes and swords.... yet.

The thing is realistically speaking you would not actually simply tie a screw driver to the end of a shaft. All that would happen is it would bend or bounce off because the brace isn't tight enough. You have to split the head of a spear and place the blade \ driver  without the handle between the 2 splits of the head then securely tie brace around the blade head so it essentially looks like a sandwich. The Screw Driver especially you would even want to grove the inside of the shaft so it has a more snug fit. 

Even then the highest durability and functioning spear would still likely be a Wooden carved spear with its tip burned. Simply because the structural integrity is maintained. 

On 10/20/2019 at 12:11 PM, Dragonbahn said:

Agreed.

Also, am I the only one getting really low conditions on crafted spears? You'd think that they would be 100% out of the box.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, feral_donkey said:

I wonder if spear quality is linked to carpentry skill.

Yes, It definitely is connected to your carpentry skill. I had raised my carpentry skill to 6 and had spear close to 75% durability.

6 hours ago, Lord_of_Cats said:

Yes, It definitely is connected to your carpentry skill. I had raised my carpentry skill to 6 and had spear close to 75% durability.

Carpentry sure is the skill of working wood in the games, but having crafting of a weapon tied to your building skill feels bit out of place. Then again the other existing skill that could house the skill of crafting spears would be the spear skill itself.

When crafting a spear with an attachment does the game take into cosideration the condition of the spear and the attachment?

18 hours ago, Tonzint said:

Carpentry sure is the skill of working wood in the games, but having crafting of a weapon tied to your building skill feels bit out of place. Then again the other existing skill that could house the skill of crafting spears would be the spear skill itself.

When crafting a spear with an attachment does the game take into cosideration the condition of the spear and the attachment?

I think the best way to view Carpentry and Metalworking is as crafting skills with building options, in the long-term survival you're probably better off knowing how to make your own weapons.

3 hours ago, Lord_of_Cats said:

I think the best way to view Carpentry and Metalworking is as crafting skills with building options, in the long-term survival you're probably better off knowing how to make your own weapons.

On top of that: I don't think any carpenter worth his salt would have any difficulty making a pointy stick.

IMHO, for those who want a "spear" that can be repaired, the Garden Fork (Pitchfork) is an excellent choice. It's heavier than the spear, and does a tiny bit less damage, but it (seems) to have more knockback and I've sometimes insta-kill-stabbed TWO ZEDS at once (which I've never managed to do with the spear).

Archived