Zombie induced wounds occur maybe too easily?

BodaciousMan

So I want to start off by saying that I am loving the new build and that I am enjoying it thoroughly! I feel combat is much more balanced in Survival mode, the visuals/animations are great, and I am feeling the immersion. I have been playing this game since the early days and I greatly appreciate the dedication and work the devs have put into the game. Every update brings something new, and adds details that I wouldn't have anticipated in an already realistic game.

My issue with the current build is that I am starting to feel that damage to a character from zeds is maybe a tad unbalanced. There have been many instances of me opening a door(barely being in arms reach of a zed that was on the other side,) and being bitten. I have run past zeds barely in arms reach and get bitten. Maybe I'm just struggling to get used to the new elements of movement, who knows. I also like that clothes now offer a level of protection from wounds. However I feel that maybe this protection can use a little tweaking. Let me explain. I had a playthrough where my character wore MULTIPLE layers of clothing. Undershirt, long sleeve T, denim over-shirt, hoodie, and jacket. I still get bitten in the torso while not being what I determine in the "biting threshold" of a zed. On that note, I tend to start my games in the Winter months. I notice that the clothes I am wearing are offering little to no warmth. When the temperature is 42 degrees, my character will still become hypothermic even when indoors and utilizing the outdoorsman perk. Those are all the complaints I have had so far with the new build, if you could even really call them complaints. 

Hope you guys think my observations are helpful if anything.

I need more experience with the build to be sure but I am surely getting mauled very easily.    A close scrape isn't a scratch,   it's 3 wounds and a near certain bite.

Maybe it's balanced toward an end goal of crafted armor,  etc.    Or maybe it's just designed to be so deadly that you don't fight.

Not really an experience issue it  is one of those hard to balance issues.
I have been saying this would happen before Build 41 came out.

With that said I think the issue is 2 fold

1. Bite locations seem random

2. Players need early protection 

Early protection could be something like having 3 magazines wrapped around your fore arm with duct tape. 

I am of two minds about this. 

On one hand I cannot strafe control vast hoards of zombies and set them on fire the way i used to with the kind of impunity I did. Finding a zed in a closet was not much of a death sentence, usually.

I also died three times to zed-in-a-closet. Survival is serious business. One of the things I noticed was that when encountering one I walked in the room, touched the zombie, turned around and tried to run out. He scratched AND bit me in rapid sucession, but i don't think an animation even played, just the sound and the damage

I was trying to think about it though, and it would actually be pretty easy to bite somebody if you really put your mind to it. I want these zombies to be properly scary.

But it would be dramatic.

Scratching seems like something that should be fairly easy for a zombie to inflict, but to bite they should have to complete an animation in range.

I think it just feels like it.

If I remember how the game was before, you actually never got grabbed that often, because it was too easy to avoid zeds.

Players know have to be more cautious and aware of the situation.

I, dont ask me why, after opend a door, got distracted and turned and then got bitten in the arm by a zombie in that room.

I mean you sometimes can push them away If timed correctly when they grab you.

You are not really supposed to get bitten or scratched and should avoid situations where this can happen, as good as you can.

2 hours ago, thiosk said:

I am of two minds about this. 

On one hand I cannot strafe control vast hoards of zombies and set them on fire the way i used to with the kind of impunity I did. Finding a zed in a closet was not much of a death sentence, usually.

I also died three times to zed-in-a-closet. Survival is serious business. One of the things I noticed was that when encountering one I walked in the room, touched the zombie, turned around and tried to run out. He scratched AND bit me in rapid sucession, but i don't think an animation even played, just the sound and the damage

I was trying to think about it though, and it would actually be pretty easy to bite somebody if you really put your mind to it. I want these zombies to be properly scary.

But it would be dramatic.

Scratching seems like something that should be fairly easy for a zombie to inflict, but to bite they should have to complete an animation in range.

I agree, a game-ending injury shouldn't be able to be inflicted by simply passing too close to a zombie and being hit with an invisible ninja zombie jutsu technique. Bites should require you to be grabbed. I keep getting unexpectedly bitten over and over in situations I'm quite certain this shouldn't happen. 

10 hours ago, Lornsteyn said:

I think it just feels like it.

If I remember how the game was before, you actually never got grabbed that often, because it was too easy to avoid zeds.

Players know have to be more cautious and aware of the situation.

I, dont ask me why, after opend a door, got distracted and turned and then got bitten in the arm by a zombie in that room.

I mean you sometimes can push them away If timed correctly when they grab you.

You are not really supposed to get bitten or scratched and should avoid situations where this can happen, as good as you can.

I think this is the biggest problem combat now feels RNG based and outside the players control. There is no way to actually "counter" a situation because it is all based on luck. 

10 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

I think this is the biggest problem combat now feels RNG based and outside the players control. There is no way to actually "counter" a situation because it is all based on luck. 

The developers would tell you that the best 'control' is to not ever fight zombies. Ever. But we all know that zombies do have to be dealt with eventually. I believe in receiving wounds due to mistakes, but there need to be compensatory mechanics to aid the player when they inevitably go up against more than two zombies at once. Things like stiff-arming, ducking and weaving, and the art of escaping a grasp without getting bitten or scratched. Right now the game requires you to shove off a zombie that has grabbed you, otherwise you almost guaranteed will receive damage, potentially one that ends your game.

I believe that humans are more flexible and agile than the developers seem to give us credit for. I believe that survivors should be able to defend themselves more adequately than they do now, not by killing zombies, but by being nimble enough to avoid a bite once they find themselves in a zombie's personal space. Biting a moving target is gonna be hard, especially for a zombie, which is why I think they should be required to grab you first. If they do grab you, you should be able to wrench yourself out of that grip depending on distance and character stats, without needing to press space to shove them off you which holds you in place and gets you killed. 

26 minutes ago, Neonwarrior said:

The developers would tell you that the best 'control' is to not ever fight zombies. Ever. But we all know that zombies do have to be dealt with eventually. I believe in receiving wounds due to mistakes, but there need to be compensatory mechanics to aid the player when they inevitably go up against more than two zombies at once. Things like stiff-arming, ducking and weaving, and the art of escaping a grasp without getting bitten or scratched. Right now the game requires you to shove off a zombie that has grabbed you, otherwise you almost guaranteed will receive damage, potentially one that ends your game.

Exactly - many games remove RNG by having a "Windup" animation on anything that can instantly kill the player. The player sees the "Windup" animation they know to move out the way or die. 

a lot of the times i've received damage i felt i shouldn't have, it's been from a zombie that's either flanking me from the side, or i somehow lose line of sight on temporarily (pushed into a tree/ behind a wall/right behind a door/etc)
which leads me to suspect there's some mechanic ingame now where zombies get to ambush you if they suprise you, and possibly a flanking advantage mechanic.

If i'm correct, that mechanic probably needs balanced a bit more

Archived