New Katana Build 41

Josko

It is sweet. Its pretty hard to find and you just have to be lucky I guess I found it on a random house at Rosewood and its stats are incredible 100% dmg and it kills fast and almost instantly but you cannot repair it thought (in that picture there I managed to kill 100 zeds with it).Anyway you have to boost the loot on the sandbox menu or you have less chance to find it.

20191019024133_1.jpg

20191019023608_1.jpg

Believe it or not, I found it stuck on a random Zed. I could barely believe my luck...

Sadly, it was at 50% condition and it cannot be repaired. Which IMHO, is OK; making the game's sole OP weapon impossible to repair is a fair compensation for its OPness.

I just wish the weapons had short descriptions just like they did in State of Decay, and for the Katana to say "Well-made Katana replica. Found next to figurines of girls in sailor uniforms and posters of giant robots." :P 

1 hour ago, martingee said:

In what way doesn't it look like a Katana?

When I looked at the pictures it didn't look like a katana but when I finally found it ingame and took a good look, I could see it does look like a Katana, although the blade being a little bit too short in my opinion and maybe have it be more curved aswell. Other than that it is spot on, don't think it can look much better cause the 3d models have limits right?

Then it's a little bit silly when idling with the Katana, the character holds or touches the blade with his other hand like when he carries the Axe but that is just probably a placeholder and you will give nice and proper animations for the Katana in the future Im sure. But I would love for it too be able to cut of heads for zombies, it would make it truly unique and badass. Otherwise maybe it can be modded with AnimZed animation tools when you guys release that :)

45 minutes ago, Burger_Time said:

Katanas really need to get nerfed tbh. There's no way it'd be a lot better than Axe.

Katana's are significantly sharper than an axe, for example this would be impossible for a standard axe.

The advantage of an Axe is its Weight - it uses its weight to increase the energy applied to the edge. 

But that is where the problem is, Axe requires resistance to maximize its energy.

In the case of the fruit experiment the Axe would only partially cut the first fruit and the force dragging from the axe would only knock the other fruit down.

If the fruit were stacked ontop of each other and braced a downward axe strike would be able to cut the fruit because of the brace and ground provide resistance. 

Axe would do less damage to a standing person than one on the ground. Because the resistance against the axe blade is maximized on the ground. While the resistance when standing is minimized as energy is dissipated in to the air as the body freely moves when struck. 

Katana the opposing resistance isn't necessary.  A true katana the blades edge is so sharp even a piece of paper falling can be cut. 

To summarize - Axes are great for non moving objects with high resistance

Katanaa is better for moving objects that have less resistance.

Finally for those who love Katanas

Here is a video that shows a true katana master and a true blade and why they thought Samurais wielded magic blades.

20 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

Katana's are significantly sharper than an axe, for example this would be impossible for a standard axe.

The advantage of an Axe is its Weight - it uses its weight to increase the energy applied to the edge. 

But that is where the problem is, Axe requires resistance to maximize its energy.

In the case of the fruit experiment the Axe would only partially cut the first fruit and the force dragging from the axe would only knock the other fruit down.

If the fruit were stacked ontop of each other and braced a downward axe strike would be able to cut the fruit because of the brace and ground provide resistance. 

Axe would do less damage to a standing person than one on the ground. Because the resistance against the axe blade is maximized on the ground. While the resistance when standing is minimized as energy is dissipated in to the air as the body freely moves when struck. 

Katana the opposing resistance isn't necessary.  A true katana the blades edge is so sharp even a piece of paper falling can be cut. 

To summarize - Axes are great for non moving objects with high resistance

Katanaa is better for moving objects that have less resistance.

Finally for those who love Katanas

Here is a video that shows a true katana master and a true blade and why they thought Samurais wielded magic blades.

Still, if you're not trained, you would not be able to use any Sword as good as the character does right now. 

It just doesn't make sense for someone to obliterate anyone with one hit.

yes, an untrained person cannot use a sword properly. 

a sword doesn't require as much strenght as people usually think (i'm looking at you, Hollywood. where men get the light sword and women the bow that actually requires tons of pire strenght to properly fire). 

using the sword is all about hitting your target with the edge of the blade perfectly trasversal to the thing you want to cut. 

an untrained person would not be able to do that and apply strenght and momentum at the same time. at that point you're better off with a mace. 

all of this is just realistic , to be completely fair i'd prefer for the katana to go even more michonne style:

nerf the damage a bit, make it a little less rare and change the animation to a proper slice. i know it realistically wouldn't make sense, but the sword stopping at the target in an isometric game makes it feel like a mace. 

make it so it slices through at every attack, even if the attack didn't kill the target, that would give that nice katana vibe everyone is looking for but nobody can explain why is not there

44 minutes ago, Livio Persemprio said:

a sword doesn't require as much strenght as people usually think (i'm looking at you, Hollywood. where men get the light sword and women the bow that actually requires tons of pire strenght to properly fire). 

But the reason Women were Archers was not a strength issue. it was to keep women safe in the backlines while men sacrificed them selves. 

1 hour ago, Burger_Time said:

Still, if you're not trained, you would not be able to use any Sword as good as the character does right now. 

Of course you wouldn't be able to cut a flying ball at 160mph without good swordsman ship. But swordsmanship was meant to fight armed enemies. In case of zombies technique matters much less against an unarmed opponent - footing of course matters for dodging still and accuracy matters a lot when it comes to striking the neck or head.

But swordsmanship is much less of an issue and what really matters is how sharp that blade is. Like the fruit video, I doubt that man studied 10 years of Kendo. He just bought a katana and swung it.   

no, women using bows is just fantasy. 

to kill a man, especially if an armored one, you need a warbow and an above average strong man. 

women just didn't fight or used maces and shields. 

if we're talking about reality, putting your strenght and momentum and the right angle of the blade is just too much for an untrained person, you wouldn't even be able to kill a zombie that way. i mean you could, but by using your sword as a mace mostly, and ruining the sharpness in the process. you're just better off with blunt weapons if you're not trained. 

that said, the animation would really improve if it wasn't this realistc

Archived