SOAP

Solomoune

On 10/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, Neonwarrior said:

I'm pretty sure the process of soap making is a little more involved than that...

A little but not that much more. 

Animal fat + cooking pot + strainer (ie cheesecloth) + stove/BBQ = tallow

tallow + lye + water = soap

This can actually be done with other fats besides tallow, including various plant based cooking oils.

8 hours ago, muscamole said:

A little but not that much more. 

Animal fat + cooking pot + strainer (ie cheesecloth) + stove/BBQ = tallow

tallow + lye + water = soap

This can actually be done with other fats besides tallow, including various plant based cooking oils.

Just because the dwarves in Dwarf Fortress can make soap in an instant doesn't mean that's really true. I think it takes weeks in the real world. Developers would rather just put more soap in the bathroom cabinets and call it a day. 

13 hours ago, Neonwarrior said:

Just because the dwarves in Dwarf Fortress can make soap in an instant doesn't mean that's really true. I think it takes weeks in the real world. Developers would rather just put more soap in the bathroom cabinets and call it a day. 

Tallow takes ~7-8 hours, while soap takes 24-48 hours. Not that long at all. The devs plan to add hunting. It'd be a strong incentive to go hunting if you could collect animal fat as well as food. Lye is also a fairly common thing found in the real world, and could have multiple uses.

I can understand why they'd rather just add more soap or rebalance soap use, but making soap is not some nonsensical fantasy. With that said, I think soap would be fine as is if they let you wash yourself at least partially with water.

Edited by muscamole

Please, reduce the consumption of soap, it catastrophically ends quickly when used and it is extremely rare to find ... In life there is soap in every home. In addition, blood from the body is quite easily washed off with water without soap.

I think it'd be easier if there were alternative ways to clean clothing without needing soap.

Perhaps you can grab a bucket and 'interact' with it with clothing for a lengthy cleaning animation, if you use soap the process would be near instantaneous to encourage finding it, but if you don't have soap you can still clean your clothing and yourself.

This is more important when the water runs out, since even with electricity there's no way to get a washer working with no running water.