I hate the new movement.

Kelefane

Yep, it seems to be the my way or the highway approach. Oh well. 

What you're doing is basically taking away QOL stuff and adding in things that inconvenience the player. To that end, I guess these new mechanics are meant to make the game harder instead of the content itself making the game harder. That's an odd path to take, but yeah, whatever. :)

1 minute ago, Kelefane said:

Yep, it seems to be the my way or the highway approach. Oh well. 

What you're doing is basically taking away QOL stuff and adding in things that inconvenience the player. To that end, I guess these new mechanics are meant to make the game harder instead of the content itself making the game harder. That's an odd path to take, but yeah, whatever. :)

That's how every creative work imaginable works.

You don't just take criticism at face value and do what the complainer wants. You weight it, measure it, and take a hard look to see if it fits in with what you're trying to do. If it doesn't, you reject it. Otherwise, you'd go insane trying to work with anyone. :D 

In this case, I reject your "only fat slobs couldn't turn on a dime' pitch.

5 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

That's how every creative work imaginable works.

You don't just take criticism at face value and do what the complainer wants. You weight it, measure it, and take a hard look to see if it fits in with what you're trying to do. If it doesn't, you reject it. Otherwise, you'd go insane trying to work with anyone. :D 

The issue here isn't whether it's realistic or not to be able to turn your whole body on a dime. I think we all can agree that that's impossible. The issue is fighting the controls to have our characters accomplish basic tasks, such as looking in the direction we want them to look while moving in another direction, without endangering ourselves. 

This is why I think the game should definitely allow you to hold a button to have your character's head (and only their head) turn in a certain direction.  This would solve the issue of needing to rotate our character's entire body in order to glimpse at what's behind them, without the weird U-turn movement issues.

20 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I don't think that's what he's saying at all, though.  He's saying that IRL we all have necks, and can glance over our shoulders pretty easily.  It would be nice to have some sort of free look to enable something akin to this in-game, because it IS a bit weird to have to completely turn our characters around to quickly glance behind us.

Seems like something that could be balanced (since there is tripping in-game now, the faster you are moving while glancing behind, the more likely you could be to trip, especially if there are obstacles in your way - just like IRL) if you guys are worried about it being OP.

That said, I don't think this is some huge "make it or break it" sort of deal.  I've been adjusting pretty easily to the new movement system.  Not being able to glance behind is a minor annoyance that I hope will get fixed/changed, but not much more than that.

38 minutes ago, lysergic said:

I don't think that's what he's saying at all, though.  He's saying that IRL we all have necks, and can glance over our shoulders pretty easily.  It would be nice to have some sort of free look to enable something akin to this in-game, because it IS a bit weird to have to completely turn our characters around to quickly glance behind us.

Seems like something that could be balanced (since there is tripping in-game now, the faster you are moving while glancing behind, the more likely you could be to trip, especially if there are obstacles in your way - just like IRL) if you guys are worried about it being OP.

That said, I don't think this is some huge "make it or break it" sort of deal.  I've been adjusting pretty easily to the new movement system.  Not being able to glance behind is a minor annoyance that I hope will get fixed/changed, but not much more than that.

No one calls "turning their head" "turning on a dime" and suggests you need to have healthy hips to do it, so I'm pretty skeptical he didn't mean it exactly as I read it.

But yes, I can't necessarily disagree with your suggestion. So long as there's no technical reason for it or it doesn't delay more important things, moving the field of view slightly to see only some of the areas behind you is an easier pitch than "go back to the way it was," as some of these posts read. (And there aren't many (yet) out of the literal thousands I've read in the last 3 days. :| This is basically our most successful build, and the largest audience one of our test builds has ever seen, at this point. So, forgive me if I"m a bit dismissive of others that tell me it's imperative to address this, that it's a huge issue, that it wrecks the game.)

Once turning with the mouse is fixed up a bit to be less silly, I don't think other solutions are going to be necessary, but we'll see. 

Archived