IWBUMsin

nasKo

84hei3q8sys31-712x462.jpg

Hello all! Super quick Thursdoid this week as we’re on day 1 after the IWBUMs of build 41 yesterday. Just didn’t want to break the unbroken chain of Thursdoids/Mondoids we’ve had over the years!

Feedback so far has been better than we could have hoped for. After a year of serious full-team development, it became hard to see the forest for the trees and judge how it would go down. We’re extremely happy to see people respond so positively. The main criticism/concern we see repeatedly brought up is related to the extra weight to movement and turning.

We are looking to tighten this up a little more in future patches, but also after seeing our internal tester’s experience in adjusting to the weightier movement, we want to give people time to adjust so we don’t overfix something that just needs a bit of acclimatisation after years of playing without it, as the weight does add a lot to the game and visuals and we don’t want to tighten it too much as to jeopardise that.

Regarding difficulty, which has also met with a few concerns amongst the appreciation, we’re steadfast on our commitment to keeping Survivor ridiculously hard, though we’ll try and tighten stuff up further and work to avoid cheap or unfair deaths that come from that difficulty. We will also expand and balance the Brawler and Builder modes, as well as potentially add additional ways to provide different play-styles and difficulty preferences to make sure everyone has a way to play the way they want to.

We’ve also just pushed a little patch that should resolve some of the issues people have reported. We’ve not licked all of them yet, but have sorted out a good few of the day 1 problems and have some ‘possible fixes’ we won’t know until its out there. Changelist as follows:

– Rebuilt jassimp64.dll with statically-linked c++ library (removes dependency on msvcp140.dll).
– Fixed exception in MouseState with 2-button mouse.
– Fixed lua error with climb-through-window context-menu command.
– Fixed solidtrans objects next to windowframes-without-windows being solid.
– Removed 3D-models and 3D-corpses options to fix invisible zombie bodies.
– Removed AutoZombieManager.java which adjusted the number of 3D models
based on performance.
– Fixed exception with “New Roof-Hiding” = No option that causes black screen outside.
– Fixed “welcome to build 41” being off-center.
– Possibly fixed rainbow-colored bodies on Mac OS.
– Possibly fixed failure to load bob/bob_idle animation on Windows using the Turkish (and potentially other) locales.

That’s all! 

This week’s image from MrSopal on reddit. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too!

4 hours ago, nasKo said:

The main criticism/concern we see repeatedly brought up is related to the extra weight to movement and turning.

We are looking to tighten this up a little more in future patches, but also after seeing our internal tester’s experience in adjusting to the weightier movement, we want to give people time to adjust so we don’t overfix something that just needs a bit of acclimatisation after years of playing without it, as the weight does add a lot to the game and visuals and we don’t want to tighten it too much as to jeopardise that.

I brought up this issue yesterday while trying to test pretty much all evening...  And to give the weighted movement a fair shake, the controller input has to be corrected... I was told controllers are not wired into the update yet, which is understandable.... I'd say a large portion of players are using controllers anyways... With the exception of a few button mapping conflicts, it largely still works well enough to get a feel for the new mechanics...

The one take away from my point is this...  Currently, the controller input while Aiming causes the character to move in the wrong direction by 45 degrees...

- North + Aim = NW

- South + Aim = SW

This phenomenon **amplifies** the strangeness of the new system resulting non-intuitive feel, and cheap deaths due to scraping and dragging on walls & walking into zombies inadvertantly contrary to controller input... I'd love to see what this new weighted movement system is like without this controller input bug.... Until it's resolved, I fear many people will be unable to pinpoint the cause of *Why* the game is feeling strange, and *why* they can't seem to take advantage of the stealthier game play requirements without feeling like they have a midget pushing on one leg every time they try to sneak through a building...

I get that it's on the menu for a later IWBUMS update... But what you said about wanting to give the system time for people to adjust to it, so as not to over-compensate the fix, struck a chord as to my earlier point... To give the system a proper review, people must understand that its NOT completely the fault of the WEIGHT.... its the directional input that's making it feel 10X as weird as it should..

It's like having a race car trials runs, with a steering wheel that wobbles... no amount of engine tuning is going to matter if the driver keeps running off the test track...

Spoiler

Поначалу, я бесился от новой системы боя. Но поиграв в игре пару часов, я освоился с битой, и теперь спокойно дерусь с группами зомби не более пяти штук. НО! Я освоился только с битой) Не знаю почему, но с другим оружием действовать сложнее. Также, поначалу мне не привычно было, что герой может бить и толкать в движении. Именно это открыло мне глаза в боевой системе.  

(Кому интересно как убить зомби битой за три нажатия кнопки: 1.Наносим удар, 2.толкаем (зомби падает), 3.становимся на грудь, чтобы нанести хит по голове = мертвый зомби.)

Я надеюсь вы не будете упрощать игру, а лишь займетесь балансировкой (впечатления от другого оружия весьма странные, хотя тогда  были первые минуты в игре). 

[EN]

At first, I was furious about the new battle system. But after playing the game for a couple of hours, I got used to the baseball bat, and now I calmly fight with groups of zombies no more than five pieces. BUT! I only got used to it with a baseball bat) I don’t know why, but with other weapons it’s more difficult to act. Also, at first I was not used to the fact that the hero can hit and push in movement. That is what opened my eyes to the combat system.

(Who cares how to kill a zombie with a baseball bat in three clicks of a button: 1.Hit, 2.Push (zombie falls), 3.Stay on  chest to hit the head = dead zombie.)

I hope you will not simplify the game, but only do balancing (the impressions of other weapons are very strange, although then there were the first minutes in the game).