Build 41 IWBUMS animations feedback & issues

Geras

Feel free to post constructive feedback for animations IWBUMS build 41.

I just played for a few minutes and I must say I'm not a fan of 2 things as of now:

1. Turning around to see what's behind you while walking. Character slows down, does a little U turn and then looks back, and also makes a little step back while recovering. Why not turn character's head first and/or turn character around while keeping the same walking speed and trajectory?

https://streamable.com/uuzog (fixed)

2. Sidestepping while changing direction by 180 degrees (just pressing W and S here). Weird/unnecessary?

https://streamable.com/00f3u

There's no real way to decouple the head from the body short of having a separate keybinding.  So we get to live with the thrill of not being able to look around like a lighthouse. :)

The sidestepping is a bit weird due to the snapping, I agree. Not quite sure what's doing that as I don't see it myself.

You can do a 360 and look behind you while moving, without walking backwards or to the side,  if you're a bit slower with the mouse.

Looks like I'm able to get the side-stepping issue if I'm a bit slow to press both keys simultaneously. Then there's a little slide or snap to it.

Think it's just down to getting more familiar with the controls, personally, but I imagine it can be made to be a little less error-prone.

One option is not to force the full body to move when turning around but simply twisting the upper body and pivoting the leg at the end of the movement. and only turn the legs if the turn is beyond a certain point.

Legs can keep going straight while upper body can turn upto 65 degrees before causing the legs to turn as well. 

4 hours ago, throttlekitty said:

I think most of us aren't too keen on the 180 steps. But TIS's goal was for proper human movement, so it's based on what the feet are doing. While correct, I don't think it's best for gameplay and hope they can smear it a bit so it's less jarring.

As long as you are not 180'ing while running, you don't get the step back. If you were running in RL, and you did a full 180, it would look very much the same.

6 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

One option is not to force the full body to move when turning around but simply twisting the upper body and pivoting the leg at the end of the movement. and only turn the legs if the turn is beyond a certain point.

Legs can keep going straight while upper body can turn upto 65 degrees before causing the legs to turn as well. 

Already the way it works. Once you cross over the threshold angle, you start to turn instead.

So it's more a matter of swinging the mouse too fast, too close to the character. Like the good old days.

That is, it's going to take people a little while to adjust and learn to anticipate the characters having animations vs. a problem necessarily with the animations themselves.

I am absolutely loving build 41!  

Yes, the movement momentum is weird and needs tweaking. 

There is also an issue with window interaction.  I have to adjust position to open a window. then readjust position to remove broken glass and then readjust again to climb through window. 

Also an issue with NE facing doors disappearing with the new cutaway modeling that makes them impossible to close from the outside.

But, the vibe has completely changed and is more immersive.   Combat is far more dangerous which requires playing more stealthily which makes the game seem more realistic.   And the stealth aspects are much better especially with the inconspicuous trait.  Fewer zombies too, so the game is less about combat and more about just keeping your ass alive.

Lots of new weapons, I love the hand scythe. 

Excellent work devs!

On 10/17/2019 at 12:50 AM, hominid said:

There is also an issue with window interaction.  I have to adjust position to open a window. then readjust position to remove broken glass and then readjust again to climb through window. 

This has been my only issue with B41 so far- not really a bug, but it can get you killed when you have to open a window and then step back before crawling through it!  

Sometimes a zombie can make two growling sounds at the same time, making it sound like there's another zombie nearby which can be confusing and annoying.

For example a zombie is growling while walking towards you and when you push it it makes another sound while the first one is still playing. 

5 hours ago, Garfink said:

I am in the medical profession, no it isn't, just use cold water and it will come right off.  

Right......

Unless you are planning on cleaning wet blood immediately by the time you get back to your base it's going to be dried and clotted. 
if all it takes was "cold water" to clean dried clotted blood every Eskimo would pretty much die of hemorrhage from lack of blood clots. 

8 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

Blood is actually extremely hard to get off clothes -

I think he was talking about washing it off our characters.  My guy got all bloody, so I broke into a house and put all his clothes in the washer.  Was able to wash the clothes without any soap in the machine, but was not able to wash the blood off of my guy's skin because I didn't have soap.

4 hours ago, ZombieHunter said:

Right......

Unless you are planning on cleaning wet blood immediately by the time you get back to your base it's going to be dried and clotted. 
if all it takes was "cold water" to clean dried clotted blood every Eskimo would pretty much die of hemorrhage from lack of blood clots. 

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to clean things immediately if you have immediate access to water. You would do this in real life. I agree that water alone can only go so far, especially when dealing with dried blood, but even in that case you should be able to clean it to a degree with water and scrubbing.

I think the best solution is to enable washing with just water but cap the amount of cleanliness that it can provide. The amount should be pretty high if dealt with immediately but low if left too long. 

6 hours ago, lysergic said:

I think he was talking about washing it off our characters.  My guy got all bloody, so I broke into a house and put all his clothes in the washer.  Was able to wash the clothes without any soap in the machine, but was not able to wash the blood off of my guy's skin because I didn't have soap.

Speaking of washing is there anyway to wash glasses when they get a bit bloody or have I been completely missing it ?

2 hours ago, Kalista said:

Speaking of washing is there anyway to wash glasses when they get a bit bloody or have I been completely missing it ?

For now I noticed putting them in the washer works. It would be amazing if they were easier to wash but bloddied/dirty glasses gave a vision debuff. Would add depth to the glasses/short sighted traits !

That way the more you are in battle, the more hazy everything becomes.

I'm very happy with new build! I love it. So many new additions I wasn't expecting, so they were a fun surprise to find. The animations/movements felt very "heavy" and sluggish at first, but I got used to them after a few minutes of playing. It would be nice if it was quicker or felt "smoother" to turn around to look behind you while walking, but I'm fine with what we have right now. I'm also having a hard time getting used to the player walking up to the container/object you're looting, if that makes sense? I usually stand next to containers and use the mouse wheel to scroll through them while standing still, but it's kinda hard to do that now.

I hope all the movement animations will become alot smoother. right now they still feel clunky and I can really feel it.

Other than that it is amazing, the animations really look good, spot on. Just needs to be alot smoother and responsive :)

Archived