PUBLIC IWBUMS BETA - BUILD 41 RELEASED - Animations!

Batsphinx

Very nice patch again.

The movement feels a lot more refined now. The only thing about it that still feels a bit off is sneaking while over encumbered, like I said before. With the symbol in the red you can still run while in sneak-stance, but not while in normal-stance. That seems a bit overpowered right now. But thats seriously the only thing that I can come up with to complain about and its really not that big of a deal.
There is one thing I'd personally hope to see in terms of playability. If you have ever played GTA2 back in the day: when you step on the gas there the camera moves so that there is more room to see in front of you and when you come to a halt its centered again. Right now in Zomboid it stays centered while driving, which makes it pretty suicidal even in medium paced cars to go full throttle. Thats why I would never ever think about getting the "speed demon" trait.

I really love the game and the commitment to realism. 

I love...

- The new animations

- The new clothing

- The weight system for running and sneaking and moving around

- The more dangerous zombies, making small groups so much more dangerous. No more standing your ground swinging an axe against a group of 20. 

I am concerned about...

- My weapon feels very ineffective. Even with a chunky weapon like a bat or an axe, the hit doesn't 'feel' like it has a lot of substance, especially when I don't get a good swing on it and just manage to give them a little tap. I'm concerned that though combat has been made more realistic, it might not be more fun if it always feels like I'm being overpowered, even 1 vs 1. I need a bit of practice and to see if I adjust to the new system better, but I don't think in the new system you'll ever want to fight more than 2 at a time, which means a lot more luring and kiting. 

9 hours ago, clementine09 said:

I love...

- The new animations

- The new clothing

- The more dangerous zombies, making small groups so much more dangerous. No more standing your ground swinging an axe against a group of 20. 

I am concerned about...

- My weapon feels very ineffective. Even with a chunky weapon like a bat or an axe, the hit doesn't 'feel' like it has a lot of substance, especially when I don't get a good swing on it and just manage to give them a little tap. I'm concerned that though combat has been made more realistic, it might not be more fun if it always feels like I'm being overpowered, even 1 vs 1. I need a bit of practice and to see if I adjust to the new system better, but I don't think in the new system you'll ever want to fight more than 2 at a time, which means a lot more luring and kiting. 

I have a similar "concern" with the weapons, although I wouldn't really call it a concern and more of a comment. 

With the new animation system, I feel like there should be a little bit more visual feedback on the animations in regard to some type of "goldilock" zone, which I'm not even sure there is one? Goldilock zone as in, the distance where you're not too far away to outright miss or do reduced damage, but not so close that you're not getting enough momentum with a swing to do all the damage you could, or too close where you have to push away. 

I know with spears(and similar weapons) there is a range where you do a thrust attack(good), a range where you do a swing attack (bad), and where you're too close that you have to do a cross-check push. This is very distinguished because of how obvious each move is. 

With one handed, and some two handed swinging weapons, such zones don't feel as defined (and again, I'm assuming there are similar zones as I feel like some hits are doing little damage due to how close I am to the zombie). This is also compounding with the difficulty in swinging and trying to adjust yourself via moving backwards in distance with the zombie you just hit.

So, I suppose I should just ask, am I imagining this "goldilock" zone with other melee weapons or is this a real thing that needs to be taken into account during combat?

On 10/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, clementine09 said:

I love...

- The new animations

- The new clothing

I am concerned about...

Further to my previous, with a bit more time and practice I think I am finding that I do sometimes get a solid swing that's feels like it connects a lot more and is a lot more effective. I think I've underestimated the effect that panic or pain has on my combat effectiveness as in the previous build I could pretty much ignore it and still take zombies on quite safely. Now I will need to get used to managing it a lot more (which is great :)).

Similar to the post before me, could you clarify if there is this 'goldilocks' zone, as I agree that it sometimes feels like I hit a much more effective spot.  

I think you're going in the right direction with this update however there are some things that I, personally, don't care for.  Of course I don't expect you to cater to me personally but I just thought I would add to the already stated pros/cons listed above.

Like/Love:

New Animations

Sneaking

New Clothing

New Damage System

Dislike/Hate:

New Combat System (feels clunky - probably just needs streamlining - I have faith you will get it)

(some of the) New Movement System (see below)

On the movement system?  The biggest irritation, for me, is the player pivoting.  As you can see in the image that I've attached the pivot point has obviously changed in build 41 and this makes it rather frustrating when moving the character at times in my opinion.  Simply turning left or right means the character takes a step forward and walks in an arc 1-2 steps to the left/right instead of merely pivoting to the left or right.  When looting a container, for example, oftentimes the target container info panel is lost if you aren't properly facing the container (as the sprite automatically faces the container when you go to grab the item) making you reopen the info screen if you don't already have it locked open.  Granted this is merely a QOL nit-pick but I've also noticed that this can also be frustrating when pivoting to engage a zed approaching you from the flanks.  Your player character won't simply spin to meet the zed but instead move forward a step or two then pivot towards the zombie.  This doesn't make sense.  In real life I can stand in a single position and rotate just fine without stepping forward by shuffling my feet underneath me.  My body doesn't move position.  Only my feet do all the work in theory.

pzBuild41pivots.thumb.png.57c8c9cc19e510190cf5cde0ef9e587c.png

Edited by mastice
fixed italicized content

1 hour ago, Chukertuc said:

I can´t fill a sack with dirt. I have the shovel and the sack in the inventory. But the action doesn´t appear when I right click on grass areas

There are a few different shovels in the game, so maybe it's not working with the one you're using? Have you tried a hand fork, as you can dig graves with them? It definitely sounds like a bug though. xXx

Ok so I have something I want in game but isn't in yet that lots of people would probably like: A morgue that shows the say last 5 characters I played and best 5 characters I played that died. With Their zombies killed number, how many days they lived, their name and maybe their stats. Stuff like that so I can see what characters I did good with and how well they did, so I have some goals to look foreword to. If you could add something cool like that in the game I would be super happy to see my past survivors I got so connected to, please add this if it's not to much trouble. 

8 hours ago, Kaixrou said:

Ok so I have something I want in game but isn't in yet that lots of people would probably like: A morgue that shows the say last 5 characters I played and best 5 characters I played that died.

I like this idea - even if it's not a morgue (because that would require a power source to keep the bodies cold) maybe we could construct a monument of some sort?  Were it would display the same information over the grave of the fallen?  Or we could edit in the information of the fallen?  Just some thoughts on it.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Kaixrou said:

Ok so I was thinking like with the morgue it's like a info tab on the start screen that shows you all that stuff and you can click on the characters for more detail. 

Gotcha.  The way I read your original post was that you were playing a world you had died in with a previous character and wanted to memorialize that former character by using another character that entered the same world.  I like the idea of a persistent information on the main menu like you describe.  Gives a more personalized touch to our game.  Still think we should be able to build more custom objects in game too.  That would be nice.  🤷‍♂️

Also a new challenge that would be cool is you start in the prison with orange prisoner outfit, not shore what else would be good in that challenge maybe they put some specific loot in the prison or on your person to start and you need to get out or live there. Just would be a cool idea.

We need more cigarettes to the world! :D My characters usually are smokers and it was a shock to me that I cannot find any cigarettes at the moment. Played about 2,5 hours and raided many houses and couple of shops, killed tons of zombies but no cigarettes :D

Still... this build is good! Maybe I need to play nonsmoker next time!

1 hour ago, Tinke1979 said:

We need more cigarettes to the world! :D My characters usually are smokers and it was a shock to me that I cannot find any cigarettes at the moment. Played about 2,5 hours and raided many houses and couple of shops, killed tons of zombies but no cigarettes :D

Still... this build is good! Maybe I need to play nonsmoker next time!

I know this is off topic but check the small storage warehouses in Muldraugh.  Tons of smokes in there usually.  Happy hunting!  😉

Also another thing I found is most stuff on controller works but you can't sprint with  controller by double tapping jog like you can with shift with pc controls. So currently no way to sprint with controller cause double tab jog doesn't work with controller like it does on pc controls. Right trigger on xbox is jog make that if you double tap and hold it you sprint like it should be when double tap to sprint is on.

Edited by Kaixrou

So pls how do I search the full rosewood school with normal luck: no lucky or unlucky perks. Yet not a single backpack in the full school. Sorry guys pls fix this for me and put at least like 1 or 2 cause that is not realistic enough for me. XD

So like why is the gun aim in the game so bad even when I am a policeman cause like if I choose that and get what 3 aiming. I should be able to shoot a zombie in the head that is literally right in front of me 90% of the time. Guns already make so much noise please give the aim a slight buff when close up at least cause that is not cool for someone that " Loves Guns. " Pls and thank you guys :D Have a good one.