Trouble with zombies...

Morrn40

I just started playing Project Zomboid recently. Im loving it. But I am having one pretty serious problem. If I play on Scenario:One Week Later for casual players Im ok. But if I play on anything else, and that includes Survival the recomended zomboid experience, its like I cant even leave my starting house because the packs of zombies are so thick, I get swarmed I almost immediately upon leaving. Ive tried so many times, Im at a loss as to what to do. I WANT to play the recomended experience and not the easy mode but I just cant figure out how Im supposed to deal with HUGE packs of zombies right when I start.

1 hour ago, Okamikurainya said:

Practice makes perfect.
Do not engage unless necessary.
Sneak, don't run.
Slow and steady and you'll be ready.

Pretty much this.

Only run when you have to and use it to cut line of sight and immediately start sneaking again if possible.

It takes time but you need to learn the basics.
The biggest mistakes most people make early on is;

• They try to loot everything
  • They go up Stairs and get Trapped
  • They sleep in high zombie area zones

When you first start off avoid going upstairs. Why? Stairs are a bottleneck and you likely won't have nails \ hammer \ sheets to make a sheet rope. So there is a chance of getting trapped with no way out. 

If you are perfectly sure no zombies nearby feel free to go up, but if you noticed a few around the house avoid stairs until you got your self a solid weapon. 

Next early on grab the essentials;

• Food
  • Can Opener 
  • A meele weapon
  • Bags
  • Hammer
  • Nails
  • Planks
  • Skill Books
  • Bordrem Books \ Magazines
  • Medicine
  • Sheets
  • Watch

If you have room ( otherwise note the location of ) 

• Axe
  • Saw
  • Generator
  • Whiskey
  • Lighter

Try and grab all the basics before the end of the night, try windows an doors if open. Try to get in without alerting any zeds. 

Avoid going into center of town early on, stick to the outskirts where you have less mobs. 

When you start notice it is getting dark start heading toward the edge of town to a remote building. Make sure there are no zombies nearby, if there are agro them and pull them away in the other direction.  At least a block away, then go take the long way around ideally through some obstruction like trees \ bushes to make sure they don't follow you to your final destination.

Ideal Base

• Very few Windows on the ground floor. Every window is a potential entrance. 
  • At least 2 doors - so if they attack from one side you can run out the other. A door upstair separating you and the stairs.  Upstairs room with a window.  This way you only need one set of planks for your room upstairs
  • Has Fridge and TV
  • Nearby Trees ( to make planks )
  • Not near center of Town
  • Has a flat roof ( lets you setup a safe garden and water tanks

Once its clear, start prepping the house.

Sheets on all the windows - so no light goes through. Go upstairs and craft a sheet rope so you will be ready to escape. 

Once you have  a reasonably safe base established - you can start worrying about heavier loot like kitchen equipment \ barrels \ chests \ etc. 

Keep in mind try and have multiple bases ready, so if one goes down or you are too far away you can just go to the nearest one. 

Oh wow I didnt know the tv's could do that. Its kinda hard for me to know where I am or where loot spawns as I still really new, but Im sure Ill learn it some as time goes on. Thanks for the link.The tip about sneaking seems to have helped a bit too!

Archived