Terraced and Semi Detached houses

OffitMan

I've returned to my map project after a long hiatus and need to create terraced and semi detached houses. I'm just wondering whether it's better to just make 1 long building, or 2, 3, 4 buildings etc and place them next to each other in the editor. Do they play nice when they're that close?

Creating 1 building would be quicker but I'm guessing when house keys spawn, it would be a 1 key fits all scenario which would make scavenging & base building a lot easier.

There aren't any examples in the vanilla map to take inspiration from so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

March ridge in the vanilla map has some terraced houses. If you want a bit of variation creating separate houses can be better but it's a bit more work getting everything to line up.

Looking at the ones in march ridge they are just one building and pretty sure they are mostly copy + pasted

Also 1 key will work for all the "houses" if it's just one building

Edited by Neutz

Yeah, they can sit right next to each other, just beware of overlapping tiles. Buildings behind others shouldn't have front-facing walls for example.

If it's easier for you, make it as a single building first, duplicate the file as needed, then delete the housing areas in each.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:02 AM, Neutz said:

Also 1 key will work for all the "houses" if it's just one building 

This is my concern as having 1 key fits all would make looting so much easier, than having to break into each house individually.

I definitely want variety with the buildings rather than them being cookie cut from each other.

I'll try to make them individually for now but if they don't play nice or it's too much of a processing strain, I'll reluctantly revert to making 1 building for the terraced/semi-detached houses.

Thanks for your advice guys.