System crash messing with backup save

rolldos

Question

I'm new, so I'm sorry if I posted it in wrong place...

I was playing PZ, minimized it and after short while bluescreen happened. Restarted, opened the game, loading game - black screen but there was background music and dog shouting.  Windows stated that game is not responding so I killed PZ, replaced save game with backup. BUT I cannot load my game. I replaced the game save earlier and everything was fine... I tried with few other backups as well.

The issue is - 'Continue' button throws error. Last played, map, world version have question marks, and error states save can't be found or is invalid.  'Load' button shows black screen as I assume my character and its location and it throws me to character creation. I didn't went along with it.

What can I do? Should I post backup save? Should I post corrupted save?

Please help

4 answers to this question

I delete the whole folder which is named date_time and paste my backup

I didn't start any new game, but I have savegame from previous playthrough which works.

Well... I didn't test all my backups. Apparently last n saves are somehow corrupted(game considers my char is dead) :(. But how? My backup steps are simple, closing game, copying folder and continue the game. If it was corrupted I wouldn't been able to play...

So no chance to retrieve anything after my last working backup?

I am not really sure, it can be tricky to figure out what exactly is blocking you from starting the game, you can always play with the actual files and move them to a differently named folder, it should create a new save game for you and there you can test out moving the files between the current save and the last backup.

The map_t.bin files for example are information about the game and the map_1102_1018 are information about the chunk, if you delete the latter you will delete any progress / bases in that chunk. But you should be just fine deleting all of the other map_. bin files as those usually get corrupted. Do not delete the map_p bin though as that is your player character. Which can get corrupted by itself, but it is usually a last resort as you would have to create a new character for that save if you delete that one.
I do recommend experimenting with another folder in the save folder that you just copy your current save and then maybe move the map_p file from the backed up save there and see if it works, it would roll-back your character to the backup you had but everything on the map would be as if it was in your current playthrough, or maybe a different file is corrupted, cannot really tell without testing it like this.

Archived