Sign in to follow this  
MrBlue

More RP Oriented Features

For a long time Project Zomboid has had a small but stable RP community, pretty much as far back as since multiplayer came out, and maybe longer if you include the forum writing to which a whole section is dedicated. My suggestion here is just to consider the addition of more RP oriented features. Editable character descriptions maybe (the current mod for it is okay but less than ideal), longer journals which are more akin to the map UI, maybe some more social animations like maybe shaking hands. With animations coming soon and the fact features like journals even exist do show that the developers have given this some amount of thought, which I appreciate, so I guess what I'm asking is to keep it up.

Thanks,

-Blue

20 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

I would agree to a modifiable map. 

I think Dues Ex 1 was probably the only game I can remember which had a map where you can add "notes" to it. 

Notes to describe scenes would be cool i.e upon entrance of a room with two corpses, you get a popup describing a couple who have chosen to commit suicide rather than face their inevitable death in the apocalypse. Would certainly make the world feel richer. Kind of like in Fallout 1 where when you entered a location, the bar in the bottom left I think would give a description of what it was like.

Something else off the top of my head would be like, maybe being able to set a table and have a feast or something, and being rewarded with a negation to unhappiness for doing something nice reminiscent of the pre-apocalypse stage. This would work well with NPCs too, mind you.

1 hour ago, ZombieHunter said:

I would agree to a modifiable map. 

I think Dues Ex 1 was probably the only game I can remember which had a map where you can add "notes" to it. 

You can make notes on Maps already though.

49 minutes ago, Burger_Time said:

You can make notes on Maps already though.

This entire time I did not know about that.
I never saw any videos of anyone actually using it, so I never was aware such a feature existed.

Well that is a nice surprise, I guess pens and pencils have a use after all.
Though honestly speaking they should probably remove the Pencil \ Pen requirement for using it. For sake of simplicity. 

Edited by ZombieHunter

5 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

Well that is a nice surprise, I guess pens and pencils have a use after all.
Though honestly speaking they should probably remove the Pencil \ Pen requirement for using it. For sake of simplicity. 

Sounds like not a good idea for me. Why making them absolutely useless if you can use them to mark/write something?

1 minute ago, Burger_Time said:

Sounds like not a good idea for me. Why making them absolutely useless if you can use them to mark/write something?

It is one of those unnecessary complications. You can simply remove pens and pencils from the loot list altogether. Sometimes it is better to streamline features and not over complicate things.

That is one of the biggest issues Zomboid currently has is GUI Clutter.  It ranks top 3 in the least efficient GUI interfaces in games.

The other 2 would be ARMA and X3 Series. 

5 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

It is one of those unnecessary complications. You can simply remove pens and pencils from the loot list altogether. Sometimes it is better to streamline features and not over complicate things.

It's not overcomplication though. Pens and pencils are very easy to find, and I don't think anyone was ever annoyed by the fact that you need to have a pen in your inventory to write something.

7 minutes ago, Burger_Time said:

It's not overcomplication though. Pens and pencils are very easy to find, and I don't think anyone was ever annoyed by the fact that you need to have a pen in your inventory to write something.

That's the point though, it is easy to find. 
Hence making it an unnecessary requirement. 

You don't need to add unnecessary features for sake of "realism" 

A better and more useful feature would have been Compass + Map to find your location on the map.

3 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

That's the point though, it is easy to find. 
Hence making it an unnecessary requirement. 

You don't need to add unnecessary features for sake of "realism" 

A better and more useful feature would have been Compass + Map to find your location on the map.

It's in already anyways. I doubt it'll change anyhow, considering there's no point in doing so.

6 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

It's in already anyways. I doubt it'll change anyhow, considering there's no point in doing so.

Things get removed all the time because the feature is unnecessary or redundant.
Look at Warframe - 4 Life System Gone \ Stamina System Gone

Diablo 3 - Requiring you beat previous difficulties before doing next difficulty gone

Fortnite STW - Stamina System Gone 

etc.

If a system really doesn't serve a meaningful purpose its better to cut it down to be streamlined and efficient

The map system is great - pens \ pencils really don't add anything meaningful.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't the only one who didn't know they served a function - again adding unnecessary complexity.

Nah. The Pen/Pencil requirement to write on the maps is cool.  You need a can opener to open cans of food. You need a lighter to smoke a cigarette. You need a pencil to write on something.  They add something meaningful in the sense of it being a necessary tool to complete a goal. (In this case, the goal of writing/marking.) 

They also function as super crappy weapons. So there's that.

I'm not trying to make the "Its like real life man!" argument, but that is there.  There's plenty of "filler" in the game that doesn't have a function. Socks, rubber duck, toothbrush, toilet paper. None of it has a use. Although I will say, I do collect the TP and dental hygiene stuff even in single player because I like to get immersed. And having those objects "around" adds a sense of the world being previously lived-in, to the environment.

You might not notice if you never see a toothbrush or rubber duck, but knowing they're there(and serve no purpose. Yet.) adds detail to the game. Same with pens and pencils, even if they served no purpose, I like them being there.  But I'm glad they do serve a purpose and it does add to the immersion. 

Man, please take a look at the ridiculous comparisons you're drawing.

"Diablo 3 - Requiring you beat previous difficulties before doing next difficulty gone"

"Project Zomboid - Could remove the requirement to have a pen to write on paper"

Does this makes sense to you? Diablo 3 changed almost everything since it came out. And you compare that to "I don't like that I need a pen to write - Devs, remove this, many games removed things before".

Seriously, your threads are tiring not only for the mods but for everyone. Your opinion is not above everyone else, stop trying to put like it's the absolute true, and stop saying how the devs should implement THEIR game.

50 minutes ago, ZonaryQuasar said:

16 minutes ago, ZonaryQuasar said:

Man, please take a look at the ridiculous comparisons you're drawing.

"Diablo 3 - Requiring you beat previous difficulties before doing next difficulty gone"

"Project Zomboid - Could remove the requirement to have a pen to write on paper"

Does this makes sense to you? Diablo 3 changed almost everything since it came out. And you compare that to "I don't like that I need a pen to write - Devs, remove this, many games removed things before".

Seriously, your threads are tiring not only for the mods but for everyone. Your opinion is not above everyone else, stop trying to put like it's the absolute true, and stop saying how the devs should implement THEIR game.

You should really use quotes, as at first I thought you were going after SickBoy (who agrees with you) here, rather than the other posters.

Otherwise, you are right. If they don't want to use a pen, they're welcome to use all those lovely modding features we included to turn it off. No bickering or bullshitting about their ideal version of "efficiency" necessary. It adds an awful lot of period-appropriate character to the game and provides one more thing for the player to seek out and find. Why would we ever consider removing it or things like it? It makes it more than just a clutter item or an inept weapon.

Good ideas, @MrBlue