Nvidia vs AMD performance

happyjoyjo

Hey, I'm a fairly long time player of this game and recently replaced/upgraded my computer so I'd like to share my recent experiences on which graphics solution works best. My outgoing computer had an r9 290 and an i7 4770k. The game ran good for the most part, except bogging down to 20-30fps when zoomed out with lots of stuff on screen. Resolution is 2560*1440 btw. Well, after this summer after researching for a few months I decided to go ahead and upgrade my computer. My new computer had a Ryzen 5 3600 and shiny new 5700XT in it. Around double the performance for most games and benchmarks. In Zomboid however... maybe 5-10% quicker? Far from double and definitely disappointing considering how expensive computers are now-a-days. Well, my 5700xt had a kind of annoying but minor inconsistent issue where it was producing artifact lines on screen under load and idle, so I exchanged up to a 2070 super today. I'm just checking performance with a few of my games right now and its average about 5-10% faster for most titles, except Zomboid. No more stuttering zoomed out! It seems to be locked 60fps now, or basically that doubled improvement I was originally hoping to see. Happy to see the page turned there.  Hopefully this is helpful information for anyone else considering a new build!

tl;dr: Project Zomboid seems to strongly prefers Nvidia GPU's.

That may be so, and kind of makes sense given how much more percentage of gamers use NVIDIA instead of AMD so I'd bet more testing and optimization efforts target NVIDIA display adapters.

Also, there are some things that the RTX 2070 does better than the 5700 XT, and vice versa. Could be that what the 2070 is better at means better performance in Project Zomboid. According to some benchmarks, the 2070 performs much better at some Direct3D stuff, specifically a render target array and a geometry shader. What exactly that is or how much that means to this game, I have no idea. There is also something else to consider, your AMD card had some problems with it or it wouldn't have been producing visual artifacts so it could also be that it wasn't performing as well as it should.

I have a RTX 2070 as well and it's been superb for me in every game I play. Massive upgrade over my previous 960GTX.

Archived