Remove/replace Scream on death.

sumguy720

I would like to request that the screaming/voice effects that are played when the player dies be replaced or removed. Hear me out ye naysayers because I have actually two points that are somewhat valid.

1. When I play this game, I AM the character. What I do is what the character does, and any time my character does something that I don't do, it alienates me from the game. Imagine if when you played Half Life if gordon freeman would cry out in pain whenever he got shot or killed. There is a reason why he doesn't. There's also a reason why he doesn't talk at all. It's so that the player can put themselves into the character without interruption. The player screaming on death in project zomboid is an interruption in my immersion. This point applies only to the player character.

2. This applies more to all the characters, and the screaming in general. I find it to be actually quite disturbing. I never like listening to people screaming in agony and fear when they die, and the death screams in project zomboid are just too visceral and realistic. I don't play this game because I actually want to experience the horrors of watching people die, I want to experience the thrills of a zombie apocalypse, the excitement of anarchy, and perhaps the pangs of loss and sadness at seeing someone I know get zombified. I do not want to be disgusted/horrified/made to feel rather sick whenever my character dies. The game should be realistic, but there's a reason why it's a video game and not a simulation: So we can experience the event without the discomfort of actually experiencing the event.

So please, please Devs, change the effect, remove it, or give an option to turn it off? It disrupts the immersive aspect of controlling a character first of all, but I don't want to listen to it in general. Especially when NPCs are added and there are more people dying all the time.

I really wouldn't mind NPCs screaming when they die, but I would really like it to be less realistic. It IS possible to make non-realistic sounds that are still believable. I play lots of violent games, and they all manage to be complete experiences without turning my insides around.

I might be like, the only person to have this issue, but it is such an issue that I actually have started quitting the game before I die because I don't want to listen to the sounds.

I have a lot of counterpoints judging from this post of yours.

1. Maybe it's you who you imagine being as a character yourself, but some people (Me included) are playing out the character, and play around with him like with tamagochi. I don't mind the screams staying after you are dead, after all - I don't think anyone would just stay silent when a huge group of hungry cannibals eat you alive.

2. I don't agree with removing sounds from dying people (the NPC ones) at all. Just to quote yourself, " I want to experience the thrills of a zombie apocalypse". Zombie apocalypse is scary for numerous reasons, and hearing someone getting mauled and eaten, as they scream in agony is a thing that would creep a person out. Imagine sitting in your house, surviving, then suddenly you hear someone outside screaming. First things you think is someone is getting eaten and was just killed. Now you creep out, as you heard it somewhere outside, meaning a survivor was passing by, and he probably brought a lot of attention from the neightborhood, meaning more zombies can show up. What do you do - pack up and leave? Grab your weapons, go out and clear the neightborhood? Draw zombies away from your safehouse and return through the safe route? All of this isn't just not taking away the zombie apocalypse thrills, it only ADDS them!

After all, if some people think it's uncomfortable, make it an option somewhere deep within the game settings. Option to turn off the gore sounds, that is mainly unticked, and has to be manually ticked down to work.

[snip]

I'm not saying there shouldn't be screaming. There are death screams and sounds in lots of games I play. But what I'm saying is I am not getting "creeped out" by the screaming right now, just repulsed. It's not scary or creepy. It just disgusts me. It's something I don't want to listen to.

I guess the first point is debatable though. Depends on what the developers intended, which I do not pretend to know.

Well, you're talking about them chars making more creepy / scary and less realistic screams?
So instead of an agonizing AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH they should do a creepy "IIIIIIIII LOOOOVEEEEE LITTLE CHILDREN AND IM GONNA DIE DOING THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT" or what exactly do you mean? Im kinda confused right now. No offense intended too.

You're kinda SUPPOSED to be disgusted and appalled by the sound of a person being horribly and brutally killed by being eaten alive. The gruesome, blood-curdling scream is supposed to make you think of how fucking horrible it must be to be eaten alive by a drove of undead. And it is realistic, who WOULDN'T scream when being eaten when they can still feel all the pain from the bites?

I'm not saying there shouldn't be screaming. There are death screams and sounds in lots of games I play. But what I'm saying is I am not getting "creeped out" by the screaming right now, just repulsed. It's not scary or creepy. It just disgusts me. It's something I don't want to listen to.

I don't get what you're proposing, then. I think it would be a pretty silly option to turn those off. They could have a tactical thing to them, as well.

Death screams aren't meant to be put on your mp3 player to listen to them while doing flick-flacks on a juicy meadow. Of course they are repulsing. They should be.

Go play DayZ then..

If I see this again, it's a formal warning, regardless of the game mentioned.

OP, I'd recommend you just locate the death sound in the game's sound files and replace it with a blank. You can likely do this for any game that offends you,  as well. Though it'd be nice to have the ability to turn these individual things off in-game, I can't see it happening . . .

but I would really like it to be less realistic. 

That's a first xD

Usually its the other way around rofl.

But I can see where you are coming from. I too get chills down my spine from hearing it but I like it that way actually- the realism. I feel like having the option of removing the screaming would be too much IMO and removing it completely would take the feeling about being in a live or die situation would be too much. If screaming was to be removed it would be better to make a option rather called "Remove Graphic Content" option ( removes screaming, gore etc. ) option instead ( if they ever make that option )? Those are my thoughts.

-Stimixs

I support having an option to turn off screams in the settings, I don't see why people are so opposed to this? I mean it doesn't effect them unless they want it to and some people just might not want to hear it, no harm in that.

I don't know. It's such a uncommon thing to have an option for. As a player you can just get rid of the soundfile and replace it with a blank.

An option to disable certain sounds? Never seen something like that. 

Where would the line be drawn? Some people will want to disable the birds and then someone pops in who gets the chills from some zombie groans.

People aren't opposed to it. It's just extremely uncommon for a game to have an option for that and a really weird thing to complain about, really.

I support having an option to turn off screams in the settings, I don't see why people are so opposed to this? I mean it doesn't effect them unless they want it to and some people just might not want to hear it, no harm in that.

Where does it end? / It can be easily be accomplished by inserting a blank .ogg file with the same name.

I actually like the visceral feel of it. It rounds out the feeling of loss for me, and I feel it should- that's the emotions you're meant to feel. PZ is very intentionally a dark game that should make you think and feel.

That aside, ignoring the "replace with a blank .ogg file" you can also find a recording of any death scream you like and then convert it to .ogg with an online converter, and then replace it in the game for a tailor-made feel without losing the entire idea of the scream.

I don't think it's a common enough complaint to warrant UI clutter and programming time, and it is easily accessible in the files if you want to change it.

I would like to request that the screaming/voice effects that are played when the player dies be replaced or removed. Hear me out ye naysayers because I have actually two points that are somewhat valid.

1. When I play this game, I AM the character. What I do is what the character does, and any time my character does something that I don't do, it alienates me from the game. Imagine if when you played Half Life if gordon freeman would cry out in pain whenever he got shot or killed. There is a reason why he doesn't. There's also a reason why he doesn't talk at all. It's so that the player can put themselves into the character without interruption. The player screaming on death in project zomboid is an interruption in my immersion. This point applies only to the player character.

2. This applies more to all the characters, and the screaming in general. I find it to be actually quite disturbing. I never like listening to people screaming in agony and fear when they die, and the death screams in project zomboid are just too visceral and realistic. I don't play this game because I actually want to experience the horrors of watching people die, I want to experience the thrills of a zombie apocalypse, the excitement of anarchy, and perhaps the pangs of loss and sadness at seeing someone I know get zombified. I do not want to be disgusted/horrified/made to feel rather sick whenever my character dies. The game should be realistic, but there's a reason why it's a video game and not a simulation: So we can experience the event without the discomfort of actually experiencing the event.

So please, please Devs, change the effect, remove it, or give an option to turn it off? It disrupts the immersive aspect of controlling a character first of all, but I don't want to listen to it in general. Especially when NPCs are added and there are more people dying all the time.

I really wouldn't mind NPCs screaming when they die, but I would really like it to be less realistic. It IS possible to make non-realistic sounds that are still believable. I play lots of violent games, and they all manage to be complete experiences without turning my insides around.

I might be like, the only person to have this issue, but it is such an issue that I actually have started quitting the game before I die because I don't want to listen to the sounds.

I don't really see why this should even be considered to be removed, yes have an option to turn it off for the people who can't deal with the screams (They send goddamn shivers down my spine which is why I bloody love them.) personally I think part of the thrill of a zombie apocalypse is to watch people die and see how others react. That's why I love the Zombie apocalypse scenario.. As for making it less realistic? This is a battle you cannot win as people will come in arguing for it to be more realistic if it were dumbed down and this thread would be bare proof that they have been (I haven't seen any other threads about the screaming) realistic and somewhat creepy before.. I don't want to sound hostile but I think you're being a bit over dramatic here from my perspective, I don't know for all I know I could be insanely wrong.

OP, I'd recommend you just locate the death sound in the game's sound files and replace it with a blank. You can likely do this for any game that offends you, as well. Though it'd be nice to have the ability to turn these individual things off in-game, I can't see it happening . . .

I mean, if it disturbs you, which I can understand, as the quote says, just replace it with something, like I dunno, do you believe in magic the song when you die, actually, that idea disturbs me more . . .