Sound Indicators

ZombieHunter

I apologize I am no artist, nor am I fan of using GIMP, but I gave it a shot.
Character in image is from,

https://www.deviantart.com/nickrlee/art/main-character-from-BOC-42760466 

AvmJvMY.png

One nice QoL feature that would be nice to have to increase player awareness and survivability are Sound indicators that appear around the player's feet. 

These sound indicators change color and trigger based on the type and distance of the sound.

How it would Work;

• A wave generates which is roughly at a 60 degree arc in the general direction of where the sound is coming from. 
  • This wave could be tied to skill and perks. 
  • Hard of hearing for example could drastically reduce distance to appear
  • Survivalist could have more precise wave angles and detect nearby enemies better.
  • The further away the more waves that appear ( upto 3 ) 
  • Waves only appear if you do not see the source of the sound

There are 3 colors and 3 Waves

Colors:

• Red - Zombie \ Non-Group Player either running or moaning. If zombie is shambling and quiet it only triggers within 4 tiles.  If player is crouching and sneaking only triggers in 1 tile. 
  • Grey - Unknown - Player \ Zombie hitting against something, door opening, etc
  • Blue - Something breaking \ gun shooting \ essentially loud sudden noise.

Distance

• 1 wave = within 5 tiles
  • 2 waves = 5 - 10 tiles
  • 3 waves = +10 tiles

Advantages

• It helps people who are hearing impaired play the game 
  • Helps people with poor speakers play the game 
  • It gives players more tactical information direction of sound to compensate for fog of war

Edited by ZombieHunter

I like the concept, but it's a bit immersion breaking for me...
Rather than at the players feet, perhaps it could be a relatively slim transparent circular border around the screen, becoming more opaque with the increase in sound in the direction of the sound?

55 minutes ago, ZombieHunter said:

Distance

• 1 wave = within 5 tiles
  • 2 waves = 5 - 10 tiles
  • 3 waves = +10 tiles

Also, shouldn't this be reversed? The more waves, the nearer it is? To show that it isn't as loud?

3 hours ago, Okamikurainya said:

I like the concept, but it's a bit immersion breaking for me...
Rather than at the players feet, perhaps it could be a relatively slim transparent circular border around the screen, becoming more opaque with the increase in sound in the direction of the sound?

Also, shouldn't this be reversed? The more waves, the nearer it is? To show that it isn't as loud?

Around the screen is better in 3D FPS - because it is easier to notice.

In an isometric game or 3rd person around the character gives better and more immediate information on the surroundings. 
Metal Gear Survive is probably the best representation of the system - the amount of information being able to convey by a single ring was phenomenal. 

The person who thought of it should have gotten an award in how beautifully simple it was to convey so much information in such a simple and elegant design. 

As for Reversed

It could honestly be either way and it would have an equal impact on conveying message

6 hours ago, MrBlue said:

Never played it before, can you link the system in action at some timestamp in the gameplay? Not sure what I'm looking for otherwise I'd look for it myself.

I think this is certainly a mechanic to look into, especially how it would fit in with detecting other players. I feel that this would be a good starting point for a better stealth system for stealth gameplay around OTHER survivors as I don't feel there is much of one at the moment, but anyway that's a discussion for another time.

Not really a video you will find because the tutorial in the game explains it so well that - I doubt anyone would make a video of it.

So Start with this video here - which shows it in action,

So you will see a white ring around the player - the "Waves" you see are all sound sources and the directions it is coming from in a 360 degrees. So player is constantly aware of all dangers around them.

You will then see boxes 

White box = Enemy detected "something" but hasn't detected you.

Red Box = Enemy Detected you and actively chasing you

Red box + Exclamation mark = Enemy Detected you and alerting nearby enemies. 

Unfortunately, the player is good enough that boxes may not appear,

but you will see the ring disappear when no enemies are nearby.

So here is a SC from another video showing the boxes on the ring

pW3coMq.jpg

Edited by ZombieHunter