Internet problems

LegionDiablo

I lost my home internet for some time. Some tehnical isue I'm not sure I can explain it but that is not the point anyway.

My question is how much internet pz needs to play nultiplayer game? I have my phone internet that is not as bad as some internets I used to play the game, but I only have 5GB internet. Not sure how much will the game spend?

27 minutes ago, LegionDiablo said:

Thank you. Is the reason for lag in game slower internet 20 Megabit mobile internet or poor laptop?

tl;dr:  It's best to play with an ethernet cable and a wired connection if you have the option.

Internet speed doesn't matter (past a point); rather, the quality of the connection does. Distance to the server or client, whether the connection regularly drops or not, if data make it intact through each step in its journey (and there can be an awful lot of them).

With wireless Internet, the signal strength varies constantly and this can result in being disconnected for very short periods of time. This might not matter watching a video or browsing the Internet, but for a video game like PZ it'll look like lag or even result in getting disconnected. Mobile Internet will be worse than home wi-fi because the signal must travel much further. (This might be fixable, to some extent, in the future. PZ doesn't use "prediction" right now to guess what the player is doing or where they are, so it needs a fixed connection to work. This -might- change during the IWBUMS for build 41, as it'll be necessary to some extent to get animations syncing nicely between other players)

12 hours ago, LegionDiablo said:

Thank you. Is the reason for lag in game slower internet 20 Megabit mobile internet or poor laptop?

So while what Engina said is mostly true - what you are asking about is slightly different. The issue here has to deal with latency. While it is true the distance between you and the server is one factor. The other issue is the network you are on.

For example slowest to fastest - in a general sense
Satellite, Mobile, DSL, Cable, Optic Fiber

Keep in mind I am not talking about bandwidth here but essentially the speed of response. To avoid going unnecessarily technical detail, mobile phone internet tends to have a lot of stopgaps which slow down sending and processing of information which creates unnecessary latency compared to Wired networks. 

Keep in mind Wifi - ( if the router is in your house ) is a wired network in most part due to the fact that there is a dedicated line delivering the network to your house. 

To Summarize
Mobile networks are bad for gaming - but may change when 5G comes out. Though you would be wasting tons of money to game on 5G network, but that is a different argument for another day. 

Well the internet problems will be solved tomorrow so we decided to wait till then. The company I swiched to has much better infrastructure than the previous one. It is not as much that I did have lag but my friend did. If the fix is better and faster internet then we will be good to go again. I just hope it is not my laptop.

Thank you :)

Archived