Katana and Turn Animation Super Weird?

ZombieHunter

The Katana animation looks like the character is hitting with the hilt of the blade instead of the actual blade.

Like the character is going, "Oh my god I don't want to ruin the blade hiiiyah!" 

That saying the Twist Dodge action which is quite a practical way to escape a grapple again looks awkward because the zombies suddenly catch up.  Instead what ideally should happen is the zombie nearest to the player should lose balance and fall down. The reason behind the force of the individual trying to grapple would be heavily toward the front and when they sudden downward movement they no longer have any support to push up against they would fall. This is especially true for a zombie who wouldn't be smart enough to use their opposite foot to support immediately. 

I agree, you can clearly see that the character hits with the tilt instead of the actual blade LOL!

Also would like it so it could cut of heads, limbs or even torsos!

Visually it looks wierd, the blade is too short and smal, should be wider, slightly longer and the handle much longer and bigger!

Also the tsuba seems to be missing, its that round thing that comes after the handle/tilt

Also the icon dosnt look like a Katana at all.

Very disapointed with the Katana, hopefully it is a very WIP!

I agree, the attack animation looks like you're attacking with your hands and the pommel or hilt and looks very awkward. I think it looks like an animation of someone swinging an object intended to be used with one hand with both hands. Like swinging a regular nail hammer with both hands, which for anything but overhead power attacks would probably far less effective than using it one handed, especially to make follow up swings easier.

About the apparent lack of a guard, not all katanas had those. Most probably did, but that is a valid variant. Probably rare outside of Japan, I'd bet. Seems plausible to believe that most recreations that get produced in modern times and bought by random people probably would almost certainly have a guard because it looks more "authentic" but that doesn't really bother me either way. 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:00 AM, ZombieHunter said:

The Katana animation looks like the character is hitting with the hilt of the blade instead of the actual blade.

Like the character is going, "Oh my god I don't want to ruin the blade hiiiyah!" 

Maybe that's because Katana is still kinda WIP, unbalanced and clearly uses blunt weapon's attack anim due to lack of it's own one? 

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

90s rural Kentucky, not 1870s Japan.

It doesn't need to be remotely perfect or accurate.

Wait.... wait... wait a second.
Did you just say 90s kentukians didn't know you use the sharp end of the sword? 

Kentukian: "This shiny metal part is obviously a ancient flash light which reflects the sun and moon so you can hit with the hard part easier!" 

On a side note it reminds me of Bevery Hills Ninja

2 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

Maybe that's because Katana is still kinda WIP, unbalanced and clearly uses blunt weapon's attack anim due to lack of it's own one? 

I don't think even blunt weapons use the bottom of the weapon to hit anything. Using Baseball bat animation swings would have looked fine as that is what they did with the Katana mod released a while back.

Martin is only one man. Katana will have its own swing anims when he gets through the other 200 things he needs to do. If you're expecting everything to be 100% and every weapon have a custom animation for 41 IWBUMs, even iwbums release, you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

If something doesnt look great, or obviously wrong, then we are probably aware of it and its like that because we arent Rockstar North and can only do so much, and even then not fast enough for many peoples liking :p

8 minutes ago, lemmy101 said:

Martin is only one man. Katana will have its own swing anims when he gets through the other 200 things he needs to do. If you're expecting everything to be 100% and every weapon have a custom animation for 41 IWBUMs, even iwbums release, you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

If something doesnt look great, or obviously wrong, then we are probably aware of it and its like that because we arent Rockstar North and can only do so much, and even then not fast enough for many peoples liking :p

I mean the post wasn't meant to be serious, I was hoping for some one to make a joke reply like.

"Well Katana's were rare in the 1990s, obviously the survivor didn't want to ruin the blade"

Archived